Innovative Marine Aquariums

MTR's SWF/RTI

richarmt

ITSs time finally!!! Setting up my first reef tank! Super excited. I have been researching everything i can for the past month. Nitrogen cycle, live rock, DSB's, lighting (watts, spectrum, units).........on and on. Anything and everything that may even be related to reef tanks. Old Reefkeeper magazine articles are really good IMO.

Anyways I'm going with a 15 AGA tank that i have de-rimmed. I am hoping to pick up a TRITON RO/DI (20$) from someone off craiglist that is parting out. They also have a MP10 (200$); apex jr (200$). Triton any good? They said they are selling for 20 bc output is only 20gal/day but I figure i can always buy more filter and DI resin. any thoughts?

more questions are....

*should i put some bracing ? - I'm leaning towards a few small triangles in the corners after some FEA analysis in PRO-E, the glass thickness is 3/16 a little sketchy IMO

*why are there so many fake craigs list adds ??? frustrating

*to refugium or not to refugium - so far i have no plans for a sump and I am not sure there will be enough room available if i glue in a mini sump like an AIO for proper nutrient removal

I will post some pics of the de-rimming, i am not quite complete with getting all the silicon off to my satisfaction *** Suggestions for easy removal?

The cost to replace the filters on those small units is normally more that it costs to replace them. That being said, I started out with a small unit like that and saves the money up in the mean time to get a better unit. By the time the filters were needing replaced in the unit, I had the money for a higher quality one. And how old is this unit? I wouldn't be surprised if it is exhausted and needs new filters already.

I do not know, i have to go check it out. The only Triton ro/di 's i saw were on hydrologicsystems.com and they look like the norm 3 stages below a RO, like BRS's filters. The guy said it put out 20 gal / day and the lowest unit i saw on that website for aquariums is supposed to put out 100 gal a day. SO this makes me worry. IS an mp10 used worth 200$ i can get a new one for like 235$ i believe , same with an apex jr?

I do not know, i have to go check it out. The only Triton ro/di 's i saw were on hydrologicsystems.com and they look like the norm 3 stages below a RO, like BRS's filters. The guy said it put out 20 gal / day and the lowest unit i saw on that website for aquariums is supposed to put out 100 gal a day. SO this makes me worry. IS an mp10 used worth 200$ i can get a new one for like 235$ i believe , same with an apex jr?

How old is the mp10? I have never purchased or looked at them but it seems like I have heard used ones going for less. But for a $35 difference between an unknown used one and a known brand new one, I would spend the extra money.

A brand new apex jr goes for $240 and from what I have heard, they have been discontinued. They are limited in expandability (looking at MarineDepot.com, it was the lite version that was discontinued). Again, a $40 difference between new and used? I would spend the extra money.

this is what i figured, i guess ill have to wheel and deal this person down to a reasonable level.. I can see he bought good equipment but for 90% of retail! I can just wait till things go on sale it that rate.

But for 20 i just might pick up the old RO/DI and risk it, instead of a BRS unit. I really want to at least get some LR going this weekend so the cycle can begin. Can't I cycle some LR in un-regulated temperature environment like a rubbermaid?

Heaters are cheap. You will also want to put a powerhead in the Rubbermaid, but there is no reason you can't get the rock started. Just keep it in a temperature regulated environment. You could also just use distilled water from the store (don't use those vending machines - no idea how well they are maintained) for the time being.

Yea that is a good point.

I will try to upload this photo of the tank lets see...

http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/richarmt/media/IMG_20140420_173103_135_zps254785f7.jpg.html'>IMG_20140420_173103_135_zps254785f7.jpg

wow terrible quality. I always heard people say that getting the rim off is a PITA but man was i in for a treat. then once you get it off the silicon is 3x the PITA!!! But for the price i think it looks pretty decent. Im just happy that i have no major cuts from this process.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone identify this white stringy cotton like substance that's all over everything?

swft_pic001_zps5c61f63d.jpg[/url]

also if you can see in the bottom middle of the picture there is a pile of "sand" but if i suck it up there is a new pile the next day. As if something is boring the rock out. Ideas?

Archived