Cultivated Reef

Jorgies first nano tank!

Jorgie7

I wouldn't stress over any algae issue that your having... treating the cyano will rarely have an effect, even if it goes away it'll usually come back with a vengeance. I would really cut back on feeding, try and do a couple of large (i.e. 30-40%) water changes back to back to clean up your sand bed.

I would remove the bubble algae by hand, but take care not to burst the bubble as it'll release the spores and it'll spread all over the tank. If you are super worried about it, you can remove the rock from the tank, pick of the algae outside and put the rock back in after a quick rinse in some saltwater.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "galaxea" that you refer to in your video is actually GSP (green star polyps) you can tell by the purple mat. I wouldn't worry about it... it's indistructible, but it likes high light and flow so the sand bed might not be the best location for it.

If this was my tank I would want more flow in there, at the bare minimum 2 Hydor 240s in there would give you about 40x turnover. I might even add a 450 to bump up the flow. IME higher flow gets rid of cyano pretty fast if you take care of the nutrient aspect as well

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't stress over any algae issue that your having... treating the cyano will rarely have an effect, even if it goes away it'll usually come back with a vengeance. I would really cut back on feeding, try and do a couple of large (i.e. 30-40%) water changes back to back to clean up your sand bed.

I would remove the bubble algae by hand, but take care not to burst the bubble as it'll release the spores and it'll spread all over the tank. If you are super worried about it, you can remove the rock from the tank, pick of the algae outside and put the rock back in after a quick rinse in some saltwater.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "galaxea" that you refer to in your video is actually GSP (green star polyps) you can tell by the purple mat. I wouldn't worry about it... it's indistructible, but it likes high light and flow so the sand bed might not be the best location for it.

If this was my tank I would want more flow in there, at the bare minimum 2 Hydor 240s in there would give you about 40x turnover. I might even add a 450 to bump up the flow. IME higher flow gets rid of cyano pretty fast if you take care of the nutrient aspect as well

Well as for cutting back on feeding I literally feed the goby 4-5 large flakes a day ( he eats like a pig, I've seen him gobble up a whole cube of mysis in one sitting before) and I cut back lighting to 5 hours a day ... With my power head and filter I'm at 350 gph which isn't bad I'm guessing... I guess I just need to to the water changes and scrape and vacuum regularly. Thanks for the id by the way i got the green star at a frag sale for $10 which isn't too bad I guess.... But two frags from that store are developing green bubble so I think I need to quarantine a bit more.

I would leave your lights at 8-10 hrs... once again it's just a band aid solution... improving the water is your best bet.

Your goby will be fine if only fed 4 out of 7 days in the week. He will feed off all the little bugs in your tank. You can up feedings as your water and algae issues improve.

Also, I didn't count the filter on purpose. In my 40 I have 1500GPH from just the pumps. With the filter and skimmer that's another 700... so that's about 55x ...and my tank has no SPS. Up the flow and your tank will almost instantly look better. Idk where in Houston you are located, but message me if you are interested... I might have some frags for you that I'm about to toss anyways

Hey hey guys I just picked up a frag and while I was floating the bag getting ready to acclimate I noticed this guy in the frag. Is it a bristle worm or a fire worm? Or something else... Any help would be appreciated.post-84433-0-39592000-1403382288_thumb.jpgpost-84433-0-44198300-1403382321_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I would say this ^ or maybe a tunicate of some sort. Harmless

Is if soft? Like a pineapple sponge?

It is soft I accidentally tore one that was on the other side of the rock

• 2 weeks later...

So an interesting update from the tank ... It seems like that pineapple looking sponge is multiplying a lot I see at least 10-15 tiny ones all orotund the tank and I recently scrubbed a rock of a bit of gha and here is a better picpost-84433-0-82262600-1405809966_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's this tank doing man?

Hey man it's actually doing great! I have been auiet on here since school started but here is a pic of the tank. The anthelia you gave me has really dominated the rock I put it on and the mushroom really likes to hide. Other than that to keep up with my Golby because he keeps digging under all the rocks and I don't know if you can tell him the picture but I actually picked up neon green carpet and anenome it's pretty small but it's been doing pretty good in the tank.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This tank still up?

Hey I have been on here in a really long time but yes still open running and it's about celebrate one year.

Hey I have been on here in a really long time but yes still open running and it's about celebrate one year.

Sweet. You should post a video sometime, it'd be cool to see how far it's come

Archived