Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jorgies first nano tank!

Jorgie7

You guys thank you for your mountains of information I really do appreciate it. But I am going through a bit of a crisis right now the AC unit on the upstairs portion of my house has gone out and temperatures are reaching 85° up there. Upstairs is where my tank is i've watch the temperature of the tank slowly go up to almost 80° What can I do to help hold the tank temperature down. Maybe floating an ice pack that's inside of a plastic bag? Really need help with this I don't know what to do.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freeze some distilled (or RODI) water in a glass or stainless steel container (that have never been used) and it will keep you temp from rising if you let it float or immerse it with the lid on.

I put mine in my HOB-refugium and it keeps the temp from rising.

I also use the frozen ro/di water trick. Or you can if need be put an icepack( the pastic kind for coolers) in a ziploc or plastic bag you get from your LFS and float that.

I have distilled water ice cubes to bring it down quickly if I need to. Otherwise I have a plastic cup I fill with distilled water that I float for longer duration of cooling. Your temps, fyi, can typically get up to about 82, but after that, your coral will get very upset. If you have any xenia in your tank, it will likely start melting if temps stay that high for too long.

Thanks for the advice guys.Ac finally got fixed no fish or corals died snails and everything else is doing okay you guys really were lifesaver with advice. How ever in the wake of all of this I did have an outbreak of Cyano and I'm definitely seeing it now so any suggestions on how to quarantine and get rid of it

This is going to sound cruel, but feeding the tank less helps with cyano. For example, if you feed multiple times per day, start feeding once per day (the same amount you would in a partial feeding). If you feed once per day, feed once every other day. In my experience, fish are fine with this as long as the change isn't drastic (going multiple per day to once every other day).

This is going to sound cruel, but feeding the tank less helps with cyano. For example, if you feed multiple times per day, start feeding once per day (the same amount you would in a partial feeding). If you feed once per day, feed once every other day. In my experience, fish are fine with this as long as the change isn't drastic (going multiple per day to once every other day).
thank for. The advice I would do that and just wait it out. On another note do you have any timers that you would suggest for lights I have two different lights one set of nightlights and T5 said so need a timer that has dual zones or would just be cheaper to buy two individual timers.

I just have my nightlights on 24/7 - they don't use much current so it doesn't really lower their lifespan being on 24/7. The timer I use is just a Brinks one from Wal Mart. They are cheap, easy to use, and work just fine.

I just have my nightlights on 24/7 - they don't use much current so it doesn't really lower their lifespan being on 24/7. The timer I use is just a Brinks one from Wal Mart. They are cheap, easy to use, and work just fine.
thanks! So the cyano has stopped growing I thing but now I'm seeing some red slime so I picked out the rocks that had it and scrubbed em in some salt water till they were clean... Should I be worried?

It's likely just another form of cyano. Your tank is going to go through its ups and downs in the first 6 months or so. I don't think it's anything to worry about, though.

My LED's are far from cheap... If the PAR38's grow coralline, it must be something else that I'm missing like a specific part of the light spectrum. I have red/green/royal blue/blue/white. Just to show an example, I had a cheap starter 10g with an incandescent bulb and a 50/50 20w coralife mini cfl. Same salt (Reef Crystals), less flow, water quality not as good. It grew coralline like mad.

That's odd you have trouble growing coralline then, I mean you might not get that much desired purple that everyone seems to love but it can be green or brown as well. Maybe thats what is going on with yours?.....

+1 to above, cyano is horrible to do battle with and I had a horrible time getting ride of it. I wound up going to a 3 day black out then slowly introduced my lights back and cut WAY back on feeding, now it is in check and also having a good CUC will help too. Check out Reefcleaners.com, they have amazing service and can't beat the prices for the CUC kits.

I have heard that dosing hydrogen peroxide will help kill it off ... Is this recomended?

I have done that as well and it does work but read the instructions on the thread carefully on how to dose. But out of everything that I did, the thing that worked the best was cut down on feedings big time (no more over feeding), reduce photo period, and once it does die down beef up that CuC.

Thanks for the advice y'all. I did a 20% water change today and siphoned off some sand so for the most part the rank looks decent now (

) that's a link to a vid I did today as an update on how things are going and how it looks.

Great news guys the tank is very much clear of cyano and red slime. After I dosed 10 mL of hydrogen peroxide and limited the light. To six hours a day for a couple of days all of it just shriveled away and died. I do need to do a major cleanup though because there's still some film leftover on the glass and Smokerock. I will be sure to post and after pic thanks for all of the help

Hey man good start! Which LFS do you go to? Also, nano reef is awesome but if you havn't already you should check out Houston Fish Box... there are usually some good deals on frags and used equipment in the buy/sell section. Also the people are super nice and you can get stuff local vs. paying for shipping

Hey man good start! Which LFS do you go to? Also, nano reef is awesome but if you havn't already you should check out Houston Fish Box... there are usually some good deals on frags and used equipment in the buy/sell section. Also the people are super nice and you can get stuff local vs. paying for shipping

Hey man thanks and I go to either fish land on hwy 6 and Eldridge or city pets on beechnut and beltway 8

Those are both pretty decent... I prefer T&T Reef for coral, but Fish Land is pretty reliable for fish. There's also a new place called Cinco Ranch Aquariums if you ever drive out to Katy that has a really healthy selection of fish and coral... only shop that I know of that quarantines.

MirandaCaine

If you guys are ever on the north side check out Global Leader Aquatics in The Woodlands, his store is small but clean, with a pretty awesome selection... Any opinions on Fish Gallery by the galleria? I definitely gotta check out t&t! Sorry for jumping in, but there are so many LFS in the houston area it's nice to see some consumer opinions, so thanks for the tips!!

If you guys are ever on the north side check out Global Leader Aquatics in The Woodlands, his store is small but clean, with a pretty awesome selection... Any opinions on Fish Gallery by the galleria? I definitely gotta check out t&t! Sorry for jumping in, but there are so many LFS in the houston area it's nice to see some consumer opinions, so thanks for the tips!!

I feel that Fish Gallery is too pricy, but they have a really good selection and their store is awesome. If you're on the Northside I've heard good things about Fish Just Wonderful (FJW)

I feel that Fish Gallery is too pricy, but they have a really good selection and their store is awesome. If you're on the Northside I've heard good things about Fish Just Wonderful (FJW)
it's defiantly great to see some locals on here ... If you are talking about t&t on hwy 6 I think they closed down and they opened a Leslie's pool supply where it was at... Fish gallery, I feel is more focused on fresh water and salt water is an after thought. But they do have a pretty knowledgable staff and yes they can be pricey.... But if you are looking for high grade equipment they have a lot on hand or will order for you. I like fish land because they always have a healthy stock of fish and you can haggle with Andy the owner and save on fish.

T&T didn't close down, they just moved down the street on Highway 6!! The new store is way bigger and a lot nicer. I think they're close to 6 and Beechnut/Bissonett now

T&T didn't close down, they just moved down the street on Highway 6!! The new store is way bigger and a lot nicer. I think they're close to 6 and Beechnut/Bissonett now

Sweet good to know ... On another note maybe you guys can help me identify this. I just a water change I picked a few of these out of the sand bed is anybody know what they are they harmful?post-84433-0-34445200-1402601491_thumb.jpg

Is it alive / does it move around? Sorta looks like fish poop lol.

I don't know what it is but it was dead and I'm pretty sure it's not fish poo... These things are the least of my worries. I seem to have some bubble algae growing in two of my frags and a tiny spot of cyano why does all of this happen to me .... Any suggestion on treating the bible algae ... Should I dose with peroxide again?

Archived