Pod Your Reef

Bacteria Safety...

Jimmyboo

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what all of you guys do for safety via your fish tanks.

I know that the bacteria in the tanks is usually very different than in the place that you live, and have read a few horror articles online :(

Do you wear gloves when touching the tank, wash your hands, use purell etc?

Best,

JB

I always wash my hands and arms afterward with antibacterial soap. I am very careful about working in the tank with any cuts or scrapes; if I have to, I'll use 3% hydrogen peroxide on the cut afterward.

I sometimes wear gloves, and would never recommend not using them. However, they often fill with water which makes them less effective for bacteria protection. Some people use rubber bands around the wrists to help keep the water out. However, gloves that are long enough tend to be fairly expensive and more cumbersome to use.

Fun fact: belly buttons are Petri dishes. In a test, a person was found to have bacteria growing in their bellybutton believed to only live deep under the ocean floor.

I rinsed oils and dirt off my arms with scolding hot water. Now I just use reefsuds soap before hand. It's a great product, although I wish jarob made the soap more rounded to easily slip between the fingers.

After I'm done, I use regular dish soap to wash up if I wash my hands at all.

Archived