Cultivated Reef

Final List.

Jimmyboo

Hey bud, interesting idea for the tank but the filter is worthless. Also need reef crystals if your getting IO salt. Good luck.

what would you suggest for a replacement filter?

Also, why do I need reef crystals? should I switch to reef crystals instead?

You will need to have Reef Crystals if you plan on having any coral at all because it'll have the essential trace elements like calcium, magnesium, etc and it'll give proper alkalinity, pH, etc.

You will need to have Reef Crystals if you plan on having any coral at all because it'll have the essential trace elements like calcium, magnesium, etc and it'll give proper alkalinity, pH, etc.

should I use both reef crystals and salt?

Reef Crystals already has the salt in it. It's all in one. So all you need is Reef Crystals. And it mixes up easy.

Reef Crystals already has the salt in it. It's all in one. So all you need is Reef Crystals. And it mixes up easy.

:D nice, I'm going for that

Thank You

should I use both reef crystals and salt?

Reef Crystals is a version of salt that IO makes

Technically you wouldn't NEED it for a reef tank. It is however very nice to have when you're doing coral because then your essential elements concentrations are higher from the get go and thus fewer water changes to keep your params good.

IO still has these elements but in far lower concentrations so more water changes. More water changes = more money = less money for livestock and other important goodies.

IO brand is rather nice to have because from batch to batch they are very consistent and inexpensive. Reef Crystals isn't as consistent as IO is batch to batch but never alarmingly off.

Nanofreak79

I've been using regular IO, I guess I've been doing it wrong. LOL!

Reef Crystals is a version of salt that IO makes

Technically you wouldn't NEED it for a reef tank. It is however very nice to have when you're doing coral because then your essential elements concentrations are higher from the get go and thus fewer water changes to keep your params good.

IO still has these elements but in far lower concentrations so more water changes. More water changes = more money = less money for livestock and other important goodies.

IO brand is rather nice to have because from batch to batch they are very consistent and inexpensive. Reef Crystals isn't as consistent as IO is batch to batch but never alarmingly off.

makes sense. Although it is slightly more expensive, but probably worth it.

i second a different filter for sure. The picture on the box is for a very small freshwater tank :o If you're not going sump i would recommend a canister filter as use one and it works great as long as you do a weekly cleaning of the filters. I use a ehiem classic 600 for my 46 gal bowfront.

You can use any brand reef salt, it doesn't have to be IO. If you plan to use IO, buy reef crystals.

Are we talking about the same thing? Are we seriously recommending a canister filter or a sump for a 2 gallon cookie jar?

Small, very frequent water changes with some live rock in the tank is all that is required.

You can use any brand reef salt, it doesn't have to be IO. If you plan to use IO, buy reef crystals.

Are we talking about the same thing? Are we seriously recommending a canister filter or a sump for a 2 gallon cookie jar?

Small, very frequent water changes with some live rock in the tank is all that is required.

thanks for the tip. But I feel like I need something for water movement. The filter would mostly be for moving the water.

MrBrightside

Honestly, unless your tank is going to be stocked with SPS or you're already fully stocked I would start out with IO regular salt mix since the parameters are closer to natural sea water. Then, once the tank is either really stocked or again the type of corals you're keeping need the higher concentration of minerals, you can switch. Slowly.

All changes should be gradual unless in an emergency (ex. high nitrates, removing pests, etc.)

Focus on temperature stability and removal of nutrients (nitrates, phosphates, DOCs, etc.)

Don't chase the numbers when it comes to pH (7.9-8.0 is OK)

Watch your alkalinity using test kits (LPS corals like 8-9. SPS love 10+ but do good lower too.)

And, if I may I would suggest using very little sand if any unless you won't mind vacuuming the sand.

Hope you don't mind the extra info :)

Honestly, unless your tank is going to be stocked with SPS or you're already fully stocked I would start out with IO regular salt mix since the parameters are closer to natural sea water. Then, once the tank is either really stocked or again the type of corals you're keeping need the higher concentration of minerals, you can switch. Slowly. All changes should be gradual unless in an emergency (ex. high nitrates, removing pests, etc.) Focus on temperature stability and removal of nutrients (nitrates, phosphates, DOCs, etc.) Don't chase the numbers when it comes to pH (7.9-8.0 is OK) Watch your alkalinity using test kits (LPS corals like 8-9. SPS love 10+ but do good lower too.) And, if I may I would suggest using very little sand if any unless you won't mind vacuuming the sand. Hope you don't mind the extra info :)

thanks. I was thinking a 1 1/2" sand bed? too much?

+1 on the Reef Crystals, they rock

You may consider a small thermometer with a probe instead of one that will take up landscape inside the tank, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-5032-00232-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B0002DI4TO/

thanks for the reef crystals, yah i am using those! I decided to use the one in the tank because I am lazy and would forget to check :)

More stuff it coming and I hope to get the cycle started this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

I will make a dedicated thread for it then in the members aquarium forum.

If you want to be alerted when I set it up, just send me a PM and I will PM you the link to it when it starts.

Best,

JB

MrBrightside

thanks. I was thinking a 1 1/2" sand bed? too much?

Yea I think that's a bit much. I think 1/4" to 1/2" would be better only because of the size and setup of the tank (little flow). Substrate that thin will be easier to clean and disturb in order to remove waste and prevent cyano from growing.

thanks for the reef crystals, yah i am using those! I decided to use the one in the tank because I am lazy and would forget to check :)

More stuff it coming and I hope to get the cycle started this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

I will make a dedicated thread for it then in the members aquarium forum.

If you want to be alerted when I set it up, just send me a PM and I will PM you the link to it when it starts.

Best,

JB

Definitely following along, always love a good new build and a diary to go along with it to share the journey. PS, in the top right corner you can see who is "Following" your thread. Those would be good people to PM once the new thread is created.

What did you decide on for Rock from your other thread? I'm contemplating what I want to use for a 4 gallon Pico build I'll be doing soon. I'm thinking about BulkReefSupply Reef Saver dry rock, but might bite the bullet and go with something live. Still up in the air.

Definitely following along, always love a good new build and a diary to go along with it to share the journey. PS, in the top right corner you can see who is "Following" your thread. Those would be good people to PM once the new thread is created.

What did you decide on for Rock from your other thread? I'm contemplating what I want to use for a 4 gallon Pico build I'll be doing soon. I'm thinking about BulkReefSupply Reef Saver dry rock, but might bite the bullet and go with something live. Still up in the air.

premiumaquatics live rock. great prices and shipping is cheap. I'll post about quality in the new thread.

Hi guys, so I have a question.

I have the Instant ocean reef salt and the Live sand is coming tomorrow. On thursday the live rock and refractometer is coming. My question is should I put the live sand in tomorrow and eyeball the right amount of salt and leave it overnight, or do everything on the same day?

Best,

JB

Hi guys, so I have a question.

I have the Instant ocean reef salt and the Live sand is coming tomorrow. On thursday the live rock and refractometer is coming. My question is should I put the live sand in tomorrow and eyeball the right amount of salt and leave it overnight, or do everything on the same day?

Best,

JB

Leave the sand in the bag it comes in.

Archived