ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Tea Party Under the Tree - Retired

metrokat

I haven't read down to see where you got with this but it seems like you could just make holes in the card big enough to zip-tie it to the 'rungs' of the grate, maybe one attachment on each end. Then you could adjust it up and down and level it as needed, AND they make tiny black zip ties so it would be practically invisible. Some water is going to leak through and around regardless but the bulk of the card should still allow you to raise the water level.This tank is really cool, great idea!
That sounds easy. I have tiny zip ties that I can try out today. They're white but if it works huzzah!

you know, i think some star grass would look great in here
That would look really good if I had sand. How is the grass doing for you? I was also thinking that if the blue cloves don't work out for the branches, this darn GSP would make the perfect encrusting 'leafy' tree. So then what would I do for the carpet. Hmmm m
ur 'posta grow ur own branches doncha kno.. i'll let it slide this time cuz it looks effin schweeet.
:wub: you see why I needed your blue cloves? Flowers on the branches.
  • Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would look really good if I had sand. How is the grass doing for you? I was also thinking that if the blue cloves don't work out for the branches, this darn GSP would make the perfect encrusting 'leafy' tree.

RIP star grass. They did not survive the last move. So temperamental. They're like orchids -- hate change.

I'm suprised you haven't considered sympodium for the "leaves"

Sympodium.jpg

or some green pipe organ (though they're not encrusting)

SuperSweetPipeOrgan-55.jpg

RIP star grass. They did not survive the last move. So temperamental. They're like orchids -- hate change.

I'm suprised you haven't considered sympodium for the "leaves"

or some green pipe organ (though they're not encrusting)

Sympodium has never done well for me and is also a very slow grower.

Pipe organ corals have some height to them, the tree needs a low profile, maybe a creeper kind of species.

Moar peechurs?

Top down

20140723_181134.jpg

If only there was foliage on the tree, then this would be a nice summer day

20140723_182224_1.jpg

The other side with the eye sore powerhead. It's tiny but this tank is tinier

20140723_181632-1.jpg

Maybe it needs a white picket fence to hide it....

20140723_182006.jpg

:lol:

Scale Yo.

20140715_143634.jpg

or you could get a faster return pump, that should bring the display water level up.. or is that going to be too much flow??

So I raised the water level higher by adding more water to the tank. The results were meh.

The flow from the spray bar no longer broke the water surface. I forget why this is important, gas exchange, removes film on the surface? It's important.

The overflow grate worked the same as before which is that water did not tumble over and there is little to no surface skimming.

The water level in the back middle chamber was high and the water was just sitting above the baffle so there was a film on that bit of water as well. With a lower water level it tumbles over the baffle. I couldn't see any water movement with the level being high.

So in conclusion, the plastic card gets glued soon.

So I raised the water level higher by adding more water to the tank. The results were meh.

The flow from the spray bar no longer broke the water surface. I forget why this is important, gas exchange, removes film on the surface? It's important.

The overflow grate worked the same as before which is that water did not tumble over and there is little to no surface skimming.

The water level in the back middle chamber was high and the water was just sitting above the baffle so there was a film on that bit of water as well. With a lower water level it tumbles over the baffle. I couldn't see any water movement with the level being high.

So in conclusion, the plastic card gets glued soon.

I didn't mean to simply add more water, I meant to have a faster return pump.. faster return = more water in display.. if you put more water in the display with the same return pump you just end up with more water in the filter area or sump because the overflow works much faster than the return pump..

same concept as running with a sump, if you run a faster pump the water level in your sump goes down and the water level in your DT goes up.. or if you dial back your return pump you end up with a lower DT water level but more water in the sump..

I didn't mean to simply add more water, I meant to have a faster return pump.. faster return = more water in display.. if you put more water in the display with the same return pump you just end up with more water in the filter area or sump because the overflow works much faster than the return pump..

I understand.

:slap:

Oshimai crab

I like mine. Chills on the RFAs. It molted the a few days ago, and I saw the empty shell. It hid REAL good for a few days and I feared the worst. Today found it chillin on the FRAs again

I solved the water level problem. I used magnets and the black plastic cut out.

The magnets are black and slim so they don't stand out when looking at the tank.

20140726_140125.jpg

Voila.

20140726_140051.jpg

For comparison (tank is cloudy as I stirred up crap)

20140714_161338.jpg20140726_140713.jpg

Archived