Cultivated Reef

Kat's Tea Party Under the Tree - Retired

metrokat

:D I'm not sure if this tank will cycle. Put in old water from my main tank, seeding the filter media for this tank in the main tank too. Live rock from the main tank. I also threw in some skimmate. And old crusty bag of purigen. Might test parameters tomorrow.

Is it aquascaped or were the rocks just thrown in.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pinner Reef

I've been all over the place. Works been crazy. Moab has been in good temps for campin annd I have the new love intrest who gets Jelly of N-R

Pretty sure this one is a lost cause. I was lured into the relationship under multiple false pretenses.:/

abort mission, find a reefer chick

Good morning. The tank comes with ceramic rings and a bag of activated carbon. I just ordered the new Boyd's ChemiPure Blue which is carbon and purigen mixed in one. Don't know if it has GFO like Elite does. I intend to replace the carbon bag with the chemipure blue. The ceramic rings, I don't know. I think because the tank is new it should stay there to build up the bacteria but eventually I might toss it. Not sure.

Thoughts?

I would leave them in unless you did ChemiPure Blue and then the Carbon right after the Blue.

Pretty sure it does have some GFO

The inspiration

I thought that I would share the inspiration(s) responsible for my ideas for the pico.

I looked through many pico threads and images online. I posted some of my favorite picos on my RSM thread.

El Fab

pico082009.jpg

Newman

DSCN3954.jpg

PJ

DSCF4328.JPG

The one recurring theme in the tanks above is the fact that they are crammed to the neck with corals. There is so much life in these tanks, they are lush and grown in. As some of you know, my RSM is crammed with corals too.

FTS_1-2.jpg

If I make the pico into a smaller version of my RSM, am I really doing things differently? Did I challenge myself? I think not.

Maintaining a pico is far harder than a bigger tank, the smallest thing has a huge impact due to the volume. So while keeping a pico thriving long term is a challenge by itself, it didn't seem like I was doing much to push myself. I've probably had every kind of coral that caught my fancy at one point or another. I have traded/bought/sold countless of frags, I simply love coral. So why replicate the RSM? That is when I started thinking maybe a species only tank, like maxi minis or rock flower nems with porcelain crabs. So many possibilities.

The one thing I know for sure; a minimalist tank is going to be very difficult for me. :lol:

And so I am determined to try!

I had to reluctantly turn away from the picos that inspired me. Other picos I saw all had one common theme for the most part - a lot of rock just sitting in the middle of the tank. Let's face it, it's got no where to go. So then I looked to other tanks that I've always loved but have not had. Freshwater planted tanks.

left.jpg

Planted-tank-rule-of-thirds-1.jpg

10722_172067331209_1994475_n.jpg

3-years-of-Aquascaping-by-FAAO-161.jpg

I could get a cute piece of driftwood and coat it with krylon clear. Add some stones or fabricate some out of epoxy/emarco. Would saltwater macros behave and comply with such precise aquascaping? I can't imagine caulerpa behaving.

Also at the back of my mind is my miniature garden/dollhouse fuge.

IMG_0339.JPG

The little details in this fuge were great. It gives a little bit of the planted tank feel without the zen quality of course. :lol:

So those are the ideas that I am pondering.

I'm still thinking this through.....

Archived