Top Shelf Aquatics

In preparation for my Bluefish Controller

DC5

I have 2 x Meanwell ELN-60-48D. One running my blue string, and my 2 new Vero 10 on the other.

I have plenty of heatsink room as I can pry off the white LED I used to have running.

What would I need to run to gain some color and interesting control off of this when I get it? I am willing to add other drivers, etc...whatever it takes to get some cool effects going.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343765-now-available-for-pre-order-bluefish-led-controller-on-sale-until-april-6/

SpencerShepard

Hopefully the LED gurus can chime in with diode recommendations. I would recommend you get at least one channel on LDD drivers for moonlights, and maybe whites on LDDs as well for lightning. The Mean Well ELNs are limited with their response time and dimming cut-off. We have a couple testers using Bluefish exclusively with ELNs, and they love it....but I think you miss out on some nice features. Whether you added these as new channels or replaced your existing drivers is up to you.

jedimasterben

Depends on what exactly you want to do. I would start by ditching the ELN though :)

What all do you have now besides the Vero 10, and what size tank do you have?

Depends on what exactly you want to do. I would start by ditching the ELN though :)

I have a 24g JBJ nano. Other than the Vero 10's, I am running 12 XR-E Royal Blue. That is all I have going at the moment.

I have been looking at the Meanwell ldd-700h led drivers. If I strip out my ELNs, could I just wire in the LDD and not worry about setting anything like I had to with my ELNs?

Though it would be a pain, now would be a good time to look at replacing my blues or running different colors that I can control from my Bluefish.

So...that is what I want to do I guess...build up my light so I can take advantage of the cool things the controller is capable of.

Whats great about the LDDs is they dim from 100% to 0%.

If you run them at full power you better make sure they stay cool.

The Veros are more than enough white light.

I would add a channel of Blues to match your RBs.

And a channel of mixed wavelength violets.

Maybe add 2 or 4 reds to add some pop to your red corals.

You could probably grow maximas on the bottom with that.

What does your heatsink look like? You will want to upgrade the stock fans at this time.

Power it with an HLG Meanwell.

jedimasterben

I have a 24g JBJ nano. Other than the Vero 10's, I am running 12 XR-E Royal Blue. That is all I have going at the moment.

Ok. The XR-E at an amp emit around 930mW of light and use ~44w of power. If you wanted to, you could replace them with XT-E or Rebel ES royals, a straight swap (12 for 12) will get you to ~1500mW each output (60% more) and they'd use 36-37w (~20% less).

I have been looking at the Meanwell ldd-700h led drivers. If I strip out my ELNs, could I just wire in the LDD and not worry about setting anything like I had to with my ELNs?

Correct. The LDD are sealed drivers, so there is nothing to change.

For your driver with the Vero 10, though, with two of them in series you're over the maximum voltage the driver can safely provide, if you're running them in parallel then you're fine to just wire in an LDD, just make sure they're running on the same heatsink.

Though it would be a pain, now would be a good time to look at replacing my blues or running different colors that I can control from my Bluefish.

Changing to LDD is a good place to start. Like farwar mentioned you'll want to use a good power supply like the HLG series, and adding blue to the royal blue is a good choice, as well.

then there are other colors - violet, cyan, lime, PC-amber (consider the last two experimental), all to play with color, both approximate CCT and color rendition in your corals.

• 2 weeks later...
Mrfreestyle

Just starting out in the roads of led lighting.. Can someone please give me a link to these xt-e less that people seem to be using.. Are these the ones to use? Looking for a good led without having to pay anymore than possible... There seem to be so many different ones out there!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting out in the roads of led lighting.. Can someone please give me a link to these xt-e less that people seem to be using.. Are these the ones to use? Looking for a good led without having to pay anymore than possible... There seem to be so many different ones out there!

Thanks

These I believe:

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-xt-e-royal-blue/

Jedi...let's get some part numbers and links in here! I saw some tiny lime Luxeons on Mouser.com but I can't solder those.

I am going to replace my drivers with the LDD's and add some colors and control to the array.

Steve's will have the Rebel ES version of the lime mounted and ready to go tomorrow.

Vero 10 90CRI 4000K: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BXRC-40G1000-B-03/976-1190-ND/4747496

Molex Pico EZmate clips for Vero: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0688014227/WM9593-ND/3880993

I have two of the Vero 10's running now, with the EZmate clips...that is such a great way to go.

I was reading the post up there a bit where you mentioned "violet, cyan, lime, PC-amber", as well as replacing my blues with XT-E, but I still need to figure out how to maximize control on the channels.

So far...

2 x Vero 10 on 1 x LDD-700h

12 x XT-E on 1 x LDD-700h

? x ? on 1 x LDD-700h

? x ? on 1 x LDD-700h

? x ? on 1 x LDD-700h

or what?

Also, I am worried about having too much light output I guess...aren't violets PAR monsters?

jedimasterben

I have two of the Vero 10's running now, with the EZmate clips...that is such a great way to go.

I was reading the post up there a bit where you mentioned "violet, cyan, lime, PC-amber", as well as replacing my blues with XT-E, but I still need to figure out how to maximize control on the channels.

So far...

2 x Vero 10 on 1 x LDD-700h

12 x XT-E on 1 x LDD-700h

? x ? on 1 x LDD-700h

? x ? on 1 x LDD-700h

? x ? on 1 x LDD-700h

or what?

Also, I am worried about having too much light output I guess...aren't violets PAR monsters?

Oh, links to more than the Vero lol.

Lime Rebel ES

Royal blue Rebel ES

Royal blue Luxeon M

Blue Rebel

Blue XP-E2

Cyan Rebel

405nm violet

430nm violet

405-410nm/415-420nm/420-425nm violet quad chip (most powerful option by far)

Yes, violet LEDs are PAR monsters, especially now that very efficient violets are available from LEDgroupbuy, Philips, and SemiLEDs, with the custom SemiLEDs being the highest output.

The Luxeon M royal blue is equivalent to 4x XT-E or Rebel ES royals. I think if I were you, I would use the two Vero 10, four Luxeon M royals (but run them at lower current, you don't need to max them out), four XP-E2 blue, and four each 405nm and 430nm violet. I think at 500mA would be the most current you'd need to supply to anything, except the Veros, those should be ~300mA at maximum, but you've got them in parallel so current is cut in half to each.

Archived