Coral Vue Hydros

Nanofreaks Tiny Terror Algae returns!

Nanofreak79

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Legendary Corals

I'm fighting the SPS bug right now, I have alot of LPS I still plan on getting, but I think I might get a green slimer to dip my toe

Really looking forward to seeing your zoas grown out, that tank is going to look insane

Be careful. The SPS bug bit me much harder and faster than the zoa bug...

Nanofreak79

It took me years to appreciate sps. Once you start it's like zoas and paly's.....just can't get enough. Except I usually end up buying more zoas and paly's still. :)

I was thinking of doing a kessil after talk about it in lawns thread. It's one of the only big name brands I haven't tried yet. I'm investigating now. ;)

Legendary Corals

It took me years to appreciate sps. Once you start it's like zoas and paly's.....just can't get enough. Except I usually end up buying more zoas and paly's still. :)

I was thinking of doing a kessil after talk about it in lawns thread. It's one of the only big name brands I haven't tried yet. I'm investigating now. ;)

I run a Kessil on my display and love it!

Nanofreak79
do you have any pics of your display?
I posted a pic in my other thread. I'll see if I can put one here too.

How do you transfer your frags to your live rock? :lol:
I either cut the plug and leave the polyps on, or take off pieces that allow it. So some have little bits of rock or small frag tiles attached. I haven't had any easy removal plugs lately.

34 gallonhttp://flic.kr/p/ns3CoC'>14078233664_d1eb23ccbc.jpghttp://flic.kr/p/ns3CoC'> by -Nanofreak79-

Nanofreak79

Friday I'll be ordering all the other equipment for the tank. I should have lights and everything buttoned up by Tuesday or so.

Nanofreak79

I'm gonna bite the bullet and get another controller. I wanted this to be cheap, but it's always something. My aqualifter is running off my RKL on my other tank, since there right next to eachother. Once I put the 60 up that won't be possible. There's really no other way around it. The eurobrace makes it hard to get a normal ATO on there. I think I'll do the marine depot special RKL. This one comes with the SL1 and a ph probe....don't really need or want the probe, but it'll be another back up.Any other ideas for controlling the aqualifter. It's nice to have a heater fail safe to I guess.

Notice anything.....http://flic.kr/p/nbGYtm'>13904651538_1356521f91.jpghttp://flic.kr/p/nbGYtm'> by -Nanofreak79-

I did some googling because I was curious myself about running 2 tanks on my 1 apex. It seems you can get a custom usb cable for Apex to run 2 tanks that are in different areas of the house.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html

I never had a RKL before but It seems like you should be able to do something similar with a RKL.

Nanofreak79

I'll check, but RKL's are kinda the cheaply made, or poor mans controller. They work just fine for me, but I deffinetly wish I never sold the lite. I wonder how much a module would be for your junior? Honestly, did you hate not having the display?

I'll check, but RKL's are kinda the cheaply made, or poor mans controller. They work just fine for me, but I deffinetly wish I never sold the lite. I wonder how much a module would be for your junior? Honestly, did you hate not having the display?

Nah, idc about the display. The one on my lite is inside a plastic box atm where I can't see it. I have a addon on my phone to track stuff as well as the computer. I mostly got an apex so I can make sure the tank doesn't catch fire while I am out of town and heater control so having it all right there on my phone widget is nice.

Does the RKL use usb too? If so, I would assume any long USB cord should be able to connect to another module? Assuming RKL works that way.

Nanofreak79

No, it uses a old phone style cable jack. Welcome to the ghetto. I guess it's more entry level, unless you buy there elite which can have more modules. My issue is the lite version only has up to four modules. I'm basically maxed out. If I had the elite it might be a different story.

No, it uses a old phone style cable jack. Welcome to the ghetto. I guess it's more entry level, unless you buy there elite which can have more modules. My issue is the lite version only has up to four modules. I'm basically maxed out. If I had the elite it might be a different story.

Ah I didn't know that. Lol, well if you could use cable jack.. you could get some of that easy.. assuming it is the same thing. Won't help if you are maxed out though :(

I've been looking at controllers for a while now. I settled more towards the Apex side of the force since you can easilly make those text you or send you emails if something's gone wrong without having to use a module slot for a net module. And if you want to control your tank from a distance they've got an app for that. :)

The wireless interface with Vortechs and leak sensor expansions don't hurt either. The jr. does require a probe expansion module if you want to use the breakout box though since it uses an I/O interface to comunicate it's switches though.

Nanofreak79

I noticed all the extra crap I'd need for the jr. I'll just stick to the RKL. The bells and whistles are nice on the apex, but I never leave the house so I'm good. ;) the fusion thing seems pretty cool, and I'd love to operate my vortechs at different modes randomly. As the title states I'll have to slum it for now.

It's more like a bell and whistle swap with those two. The Jr. has a basically got a net module and PC-4 built in and temp probe all built into the main bodt (saving 3 module slots effectively) and doesn't actually require that head unit thing to be plugged into the brain (meaning all the module expansions are open right out the door).

The RKL on the other hand has breakout switches built into it's probe boxes for things like float switches to control an ato so there are less hoops to jump through to get said switches. Also the software is a little more simplistic from what I understand which tends to mean user friendly unless it's crap simple.

Although if I'm being honest I'd rather use something like this to control an ato:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1439/

Slumming without sacrificing quality. ;)

Check into the Reef Angel, all the coding can be fairly intimidating but they have a forum and a code generator that make it pretty easy..... I really like mine. It has an ATO built in as well and it has been very accurate for me.

Nanofreak79

Ordere a tunze nano osmollater for the tank. I won't be able to use the SL1 from the tank nearby once I upgrade. I needed something to replace the float and a way to control the ATO. Funny, because magically a RKL somehow showed up in my cart after I had payed? Hmmm, sneaky marine depot.

Check into the Reef Angel, all the coding can be fairly intimidating but they have a forum and a code generator that make it pretty easy..... I really like mine. It has an ATO built in as well and it has been very accurate for me.
I've looked at the reef angels many times. I just never pulled the trigger. To me it was confusing on what was actually needed to do certain things. You have to purchase quite a few modules off the bat.

It's more like a bell and whistle swap with those two. The Jr. has a basically got a net module and PC-4 built in and temp probe all built into the main bodt (saving 3 module slots effectively) and doesn't actually require that head unit thing to be plugged into the brain (meaning all the module expansions are open right out the door). The RKL on the other hand has breakout switches built into it's probe boxes for things like float switches to control an ato so there are less hoops to jump through to get said switches. Also the software is a little more simplistic from what I understand which tends to mean user friendly unless it's crap simple. Although if I'm being honest I'd rather use something like this to control an ato:http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1439/'>http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1439/Slumming without sacrificing quality. ;)
I like that, but this eurobrace is what makes things difficult. It would be hard to mount it, without it being an eyesore.

Archived