Top Shelf Aquatics

cleaning out a 5 gallon jug?

malawian

Ive got a 5 gallon jug (the transparent-whitish kind with a larger opening to pour from and a smaller one for air on the handle, I imagine its what most people use) that really needs a cleaning. I let it sit with nasty crap in it for a long time and it grew some fungus and stuff. Ive tried cleaning it out with a strong vinegar solution but I can still plainly see where the fungus was growing (its long since been dry). I dont know how to really get in there and clean it out as even my skinny little hands wont fit in the mouth of it so I cant get in to scrape that mess off. Im always afraid to use bleach but maybe thats the only way? or maybe I should just give up and toss it? any ideas?

When in doubt, toss it out.

What was in it? What was it's original purpose?

Probably cheaper to get a regular food-safe bucket for Home Depot. Would cost about the same as a good cleaning product anyways.

When in doubt, toss it out.

What was in it? What was it's original purpose?

Probably cheaper to get a regular food-safe bucket for Home Depot. Would cost about the same as a good cleaning product anyways.

Yea youre probably right...

I like the jugs for some thing because theyre easier to pour etc. I use them for storing RO and kalk. Suppose it may just be time to invest in a new one...

Bleach. Afterwards, just rinse and let dry. If you are very cautious, you can add a dechlorinator after you rinse it once (then rinse and let dry).

Seriously, this.

Bleach. Afterwards, just rinse and let dry. If you are very cautious, you can add a dechlorinator after you rinse it once (then rinse and let dry).

My LFS sells saltwater in those handled jugs.

I also use the handled 5 gallon jugs used for water coolers. easy to roll around to mix saltwater etc.

Probably cheaper then a regular bucket. Get them from one of those water-market places.

They are safe for water and only ever contained water if you know the source of it.

Don't forget to get some a lids too. they just snap on and off.

Archived