SaltCritters.com

my variation of the "evil clusters"

mlivvy

After hours of reading, burning my fingers (i suck at soldering), ordering parts here and there.. I finally finished my diy leds. I did alot of reading here on NR and raped that search button. :D

PhotoGrid_1397873285849_zpsrvt0gj4f.jpg

PhotoGrid_1397873080323_zpspdbkfcpb.jpg

IMG_20140418_184337_zps5kpijws7.jpg

IMG_20140418_221310_zpsaxuzxejv.jpg

IMG_20140418_220904_zpsliq9hav6.jpg

Layout + Parts..

http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=ldd-4-driver-board'>Coralux LDD-4 Driver Board

180w 48v 3.75A DC Power Supply

Channel 1- (2) http://www.newark.com/bridgelux/bxra-40e0950-b-00/es-rect-array-neutral-white-950lm/dp/73T6206?CMP=AFF-CJ-3952736-Newark+Product+Catalog&source=CJ'>BXRA-950 4000k Neutral White wired in series on a LDD-1000H meanwell driver.

Channel 2- (8) Royal Blue CREE XP-E2 on a LDD-1000H

Channel 3- (6+2) Hyper and True Violet CREE Leds on a LDD-600H

Channel 4- (4) OCW Ocean Coral White leds (red, green, blue on 1 star) on a LDD-500H

Leds are controlled via a http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=storm-led-controller-2'>Coralux Storm controller that I made a housing for using a radioshack project box. I ran a CAT5 connection from the driver board and fans to the box in the stand.

It's a 66g 40" tank so I was a bit concerned over using a low amount of leds but it's pretty damn bright so I think i'm ok. I left a little space on the heatsinks and on the sides of the canopy incase I need to upgrade and add more.

jedimasterben

You used XP-E2 royals or XT-E?

EDIT:

This is a 24x24 map of the big brother of the 950-B, the 1350-B, ran at 1A, with no optics, and at 24" above the bottom of the test tank.

NWbxranooptics1.png

The 950 has about 2/3 the luminous intensity of the 1350, so multiply each of those by 0.66 and you get the approximate measurement for your whties. Since you're using two, you'll have some overlap, and I'm not sure what height you've got them at.

Likewise, this next one is for four Luxeon M royal blue, same specs as above.

RBMnooptics1.png

These Luxeon M have approximately 6200mW of output each, so a total of ~24,800mW. If you have 8x XP-E2 royals, they emit around 1300mW each, so your entire tank totals to 10,400mW, under half of what the four Luxeon M achieved.

I'm using the xp-e2. I have the canopy sitting on wood now until I figure out how to hang/mount it. What would be a good recommended height? I don't have any optics on anything but I did order ledil brooke reflectors which I have.

jedimasterben

To be honest, I don't think you have enough light, especially without lenses. I would add a lot of royal blue and violet to bring up PAR.

You can add like 10 more RBs.

And 10 more violets.

(Turn the PS up to 52v)

With no additional equipment. And its still symmetrical.

Well, I would buy the splash shields for those heat sinks, and use 600 grit sandpaper on the shields to diffuse the light. Just sand both sides until it's white. Or just buy diffusion sheets from Home Depot or TapPlastics and cut to size.

So many people are having greater success with hybrid t5 LED, the diffuse light fills in the shadow areas (self shadows) for better growth. You can get similar diffused light while still retaining LED shimmer by diffusing them(without buying tubes).

I left a little space on the sides to add T5's. If I added the T5's will I be ok with the amount of leds I have now? The splash shields have been misplaced so i'm looking for them. I'm looking into the diffused sheets now didn't know about that. I do notice alot of shadows also i'm glad you mentioned it.

jedimasterben

You'll be better, but still not where I'd normally recommend to be at, but your coral selection will tell you if it is enough when you get to that point.

I left a little space on the sides to add T5's. If I added the T5's will I be ok with the amount of leds I have now? The splash shields have been misplaced so i'm looking for them. I'm looking into the diffused sheets now didn't know about that. I do notice alot of shadows also i'm glad you mentioned it.

Diffusing LEDs is a complete 180º of how they've been used, its the opposite of lenses and reflector optics.

jedimasterben

If you turn everything to 100%, you'll be pulling around 110 DC watts, the power supply will reliably give up to 150 watts.

To be most efficient, I would swap all of your royal blue with four Luxeon M. You will just about triple the amount of royal blue light at the same current, and would only use about 20 watts more power.

I added the hd diffusers today and saw a huge difference in lighting. The light spreaded out better and the red/green shimmer went away from my walls so my wife was pleased.

Jedi I looked into the luxeon m. The numbers look excellent on them but right now I dont want to pull/swap anything.I think ill just up the uv and royal blue leds from 8 each to 12. It'll be easier (and more cost effective) than chizeling off all those leds and dumping them for new ones.

Im trying to get someone local with a par meter to get me some readings. If I par low then im going to add 2 t5 lamps.

Archived