ReefCleaners.org

Red Slime Algae

Dramirez

Is Red Slime common in new aquariums?

My tank has just hit the 2 month mark and it has red slime everywhere. I just tested every parameter that I have a test kit for and my nitrates are pretty high and my ammonia is up a bit. So could this be the problem, because I did read that red slime aka cyano likes a lot of nitrates and extra light.

What do you recommend to treat this?

Thanks!

I can often be quiet common in a recently set up tank especially towards the end of the cycling process due to high nutrient loads that are often present and a couple of other things that can fuel it. There have been a couple of other threads recently about this and I am sure that if you look back through the archives here you can find hundreds of threads dealing with this issue.

Yes, it very well is common because you will still have some lingering phosphates, nitrates and ammonia that can spike it. Also, think about how long you have had your lights running. It could be worth replacing your light bulbs, 1, so your new corals will have fresh light, and 2, you are eliminating the chance of algae growing because of old lights. However, I know you said this is a new aquarium.

Thanks for the replies!

I can often be quiet common in a recently set up tank especially towards the end of the cycling process due to high nutrient loads that are often present and a couple of other things that can fuel it. There have been a couple of other threads recently about this and I am sure that if you look back through the archives here you can find hundreds of threads dealing with this issue.

Thanks for the help and I'll definitely do that.

Yes, it very well is common because you will still have some lingering phosphates, nitrates and ammonia that can spike it. Also, think about how long you have had your lights running. It could be worth replacing your light bulbs, 1, so your new corals will have fresh light, and 2, you are eliminating the chance of algae growing because of old lights. However, I know you said this is a new aquarium.

Thank you also for the help, and yes I'm using the Current Orbit Marine LED and I just purchased it about a month ago. So the light fixture is definitely new. So it's probably due to it nearing the end of the cycle.

Archived