Pod Your Reef

This thread got me thinking...

Imaexpat2

This thread on...

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/344963-average-price-for-starting-out-2g/

got me thinking...just how much have I spent on my 6 month old 2.5 gallon desk top Pico Reef. Needles to say it was quite the shocker! I thought it was going to come out at a pretty budget price due to the fact I kept it pretty low tech and stuck to basics as opposed to all the trick of the week high tech gadgitry out there that is available and awesome to have. Here is what I have and what it cost me...(Microsoft Word doesn't copy over very well to this forum...or the computer is 2% smarter than I am!)

2.5 gallon AGA glass tank 14.99 Petco

Heater 05.00 Walmart

Aqua-Clear 20 Filter 34.99 Petco

Coralife 12 Watt T-5HO light 55.00 NDA

Garf Grunge 3lbs 15.00 www.garf.org

Live Rock 1 lbs 11.00 Petco

Dry Rock 1 1/2 lbs 04.00 Rift 2 Reef

Power Strip 06.00 Walmart

1. Bought the over-priced and over-rate Live Rock from DeathCo due to the fact it was one of the few pieces that had any Coralline algae growing on it, no algae and I counted 3 Mini Brittle Stars on it. Got it home and found I had 6...dont know about you but I am going to put that one in the "SCORE!" column.

2. Did not include Salt or Test Kits and other misc equipment used due to the fact that I already have another tank and had those items on hand already, other wise the cost would have been substantially more!

Total Cost: 146.00

Live Stock

Armor of God Paly 1 polyp 20.00 Rift 2 Reef

OG Mohawk Paly 1 Polyp 20.00 Rift 2 Reef

Green Implosion Paly 6 Polyp 20.00 Rift 2 Reef

Watermelon Delight Zoa 11 Polyp 29.00 Rift 2 Reef

Cinnimon Giant Paly 1 Polyp 05.00 Rift 2 Reef

Blue Giant Paly 1 Polyp 00.00 Rift 2 Reef

Tickle Me Pink Zoa 1 Polyp 20.00 Rift 2 Reef

Purple Kiss Zoa 4 Polyp 29.00 Rift 2 Reef

Xenia/GSP 1 Frag 29.00 Rift 2 Reef

Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp 1 32.00 Rift 2 Reef

Mararita Snails 2 3.00 Rift 2 Reef

1. Blue Giant Paly sprouted out from base of disc that Cinnimon Wagon Wheel Paly was attached to a week later so it was a freebie.

Total: 199.00

So combining both the equipment and the live stock I have the following invested thus far to date at 6 months...345.00. I cant believe I have that much invested in just 6 months on a 2.5 gallon tank!!! At this point, I am kinda thinking that I need to go down to Urinalysis and submit a sample for testing, LOL! I guess others have spent way more than that...huh? Now do I really want to start tallying up the cost of my 20 gallon SPS/Clam tank? I think not! Sadly I have only just started on that tank...now thats just scary! I should probably go and pour a stiff double of Martel Cordon Bleu in a sifter and not think about this anymore... Guess its a good thing I am not married, huh?

Im kind of curious...does everyone else have a similar story to tell?

At this point I still see me spending at least 120 more fun dollars on 9 Ricordia that I still plan to get which will take me to at least 465.00 fun dollars!

Looking at it all wrong in 6 months you've only spent about $58 a month , really not that much compared to rent or light bill for one month.

Great thread. All new keepers think they can get away cheaper. But in the end, we won't keep a tank that doesn't look great and except for the pj reefs idea nobody is really offering a cheaper way to coral.

I have a grand in coral in my one gallon reef, set by the pricing of the day 2006 when I was stocking it.

The reef in my avatar was about 500 for coral alone and that was half a gallon. 20 avg frags costing 20 apiece avg.

This just costs.

Our corals aren't cheap, they are about like whats listed above but In time there w be the splurge purchases lol,like that 90 dollar acan or chalice its eventual.

300 will eventually be topped in any venture where we assemble parts, period. If you are posting a successful reef that you assembled in this forum, you dang sure got over two in the deal. Thats my call anyway

Now post the shot glass reefs and say its ten bucks lol but you know what I mean. Documented long term successful pico and you spent over two hundred thats my call

Even bare bones reefing costs.

I think it makes you more disciplined in a way. I was thinking of eating dinner out because I was leaving from work and I didn't feel like popping something into the oven but I quickly changed my mind knowing that I'd rather spend the money on rock flowers. :wub:

yeah thats how I look at it...about 60 bucks a month. I try to put it like that too when talking to folks thinking about getting into this hobby. Its so easy to get blown away by the initial cost but when you stop and look at it over the time you actually have the tank the cost aint so brutal compared to so many other things most often choose to do. Besides things eventually out grow the tank and have to be pruned or fragged and now you got a way to trade for something you want or don't have and you don't have to fork out any money for it in the process. How many hobbies out there can potentially make your money back for you?

I knew I had dropped some serious cash on my so called budget pico, I just didnt realize I had dropped quite that much thus far. The up side is I have scammed on some really nice stuff the last couple of months and a year down the road I think its going to look quite stunning and give a real sense of accomplishment, not to mention endless hours of enjoyment.

This was my spec cost which was originally part of a budget restricted contest. Doesn't include saltwater costs though.

Spec-V tank: $80
Hydor 25W Heater: $13.99
Custom LED Fixture from Rapid LED: $71.25
About 2# of Caribsea Special grade: ~$5
About 3# BRS Pukani: ~$15
Dragon's breath and Gracilaria Hayi Macroalgaes: ~$15
10 Pack of ebay Ricordea (Actually received about 15): $84

Under $300

I wouldn't even want to add up my main 90 gallon tank costs. Well into the 4 figures by now.

I wouldn't ever suggest someone get into this hobby if they don't have a decent amount of disposable income. People also need to take into account the potential costs for accidents and emergencies. Even a 10 gallon tank can make quite a mess if it is ruptured and something as big as a 50 pr 75 could cause actual damage to carpets and flooring.

I wouldn't even want to add up my main 90 gallon tank costs. Well into the 4 figures by now.

Yeah I hear you there. I don't want to even think about what I had invested in my 125, 240 and 300 gallon SPS tanks. It should probably be criminal! I swear my 2 bedroom apartment looked more like a Zoo's Aquarium exhibit...

I wouldn't ever suggest someone get into this hobby if they don't have a decent amount of disposable income. People also need to take into account the potential costs for accidents and emergencies. Even a 10 gallon tank can make quite a mess if it is ruptured and something as big as a 50 pr 75 could cause actual damage to carpets and flooring.

You bring up a very excellent point there. When I was still active duty and had quiet a few tanks, I used to keep a 55 gallon barrel of Saltwater and RO/DI water on hand just for emergencies in case I had a tank start to crash or a tank leaking. I mean there are all kinds of things that can go wrong. It sure came in handy a couple of times and help me avoid a disaster in the making! I don't want to even think about a catastrophic tank failure on a larger tank...that would be the scream herd around the world for sure!!!

Archived