SaltCritters.com

Size for next tank...

fishphi784

Hi everyone,

I bought a nuvo 16 roughly 6 months ago. I have enjoyed it but it was immediately too small for what I want to do (SPS & semi-minimalist rockscape). Hence, I am looking for a new set-up. I am torn between a 50 gallon long (36"x18x18, 50 breeder) from cad lights and something bigger. I like the price and look of the 50 but I don't want feel the same way I did when I got the 16. I realize this a tough question... but I am at an impasse and fearing for my sanity.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy

Myself, I would feel comfortable with something in the 30-50 gallon range, if I ever wanted to go "big" down the road it would still be under 100 gallons.

See the cost of lighting, maintenance, treatments, electricity, live-rock and water etc. goes up quick, with big tanks.

The viewing area may not keep up with the price. All dependent on the proportions of course.

It's not all about price though, a 5 gallon bucket will allow you to do an easy manual 10% water change every week on a 50 gallon, which is nice.

Try to avoid making it feel like work.

Even if I was a billionaire, I don't see myself running out to build a Okinawa aquarium in my house, possible?, yes but unlikely.

I would probably have a couple tanks under 200 gallons max. A great part of the fun for me is operating the tank. Hiring a company to do wouldn't be the same.

I feel the same about my 5 gallon. I went out of town to buy a 90 gallon to slowly put together. when I got to the store I got a better feel for the size, I didn't buy it because it was tempered glass. They could order me a drilled tank sight unseen, I did not want to commit on the spot. He said I could phone the order in later, but I did not.

I do not regret it, it's a heavy tank that gulps up a decent amount of water for weekly changes. (No RODI at this point in time)

So I bought my Spec and some plants to do a little Freshwater tank.

However when I went to the LFS to get some fish to stock it, I noticed they had a Spec V for their frags.

I bought a second Spec V, I'm sure you know where this is going I have a boatload of money invested in a 5 gallon, wishing I had a little more room for fish.

I can live with it for now, I have basically equipped it with gear suitable for a larger tank, (50 gallon :D ) so I did not necessarily waste all the money.

You are doing the right thing, I got back into the hobby impulsively and did not know of all the cool stuff available today.

50 gallon sounds like a perfect tank for you.

This would depend on the space that you have available and what you are wanting to spend, I would go as big as you can go so you don't regret and want bigger as you did with the nuvo.

48x30x18

36x24x16

30x30x18

24x24x16

All the tanks would be nice with 2 Radions or 1 for the 24x24, MP10's for all but might want MP40's on the 48", the sump price difference would maybe be a $100 difference, same with the skimmer, return pump $50/75 difference and the controller/ATO/heater ect. would all be the same price regardless of the tank size, the main difference in price is going to be the tank and stand.

Radions/MP10s/controller ect. are all something that I would use but there are plenty of different options that would work just as well.

I think Tigers has the right idea though, 1 million gallons would be interesting and I can guarantee you will never want to go bigger :D

Gilligan- I had the same thought about the 5 gallon bucket. I like to think that something like that doesn't matter, but, in the long run I know it does. Good point.

cpR- I have a 27" razor now so 36" wide would be perfect. I would like so more depth but those tanks aren't typical. CAD has. 70 that would work but it's something like 600 more, doesn't seem worth it.

Masterbuilder- any reason?

If you want the minimalist look for the display then you'll need a sump to house enough rock to filter the tank.

IMO a 50g with 40br sump would be my bet.

It is so worth the upgrade! I went from a 14g biocube to a 40 gallon system and I am very glad i did for multiple reasons.You have a much more stable aquarium because of the larger water volume (i.e if a half gallon of saltwater is taken out an accidentally replaced with rodi, your SG wont really change that much). You can easily do a 1 week water change and it be plenty enough. In my 14g i was doing SOOOO many all the time. You have so much more room for natural and even equipment ran filtration. The list goes on. It is very worth the upgrade just be knowledgeable on the do's and don'ts of moving stuff. I would say it is a bad choice at all.

I just picked up a 65gallon from Scaquariums, its just like the cadlights 65 and measures 32x24x20. I feel like its the perfect size for exactly what your trying to do. The 32" width gives plenty of space for a minimalistic scape, and can get away with a light designed for a 24" tank.

Im still setting it up or i would post some pictures, cant wait to get it going though.

I'd check out the rimless frag tank by Deep Blue, it gives you the feel of a way bigger tank without the additional cost. (My $.02)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going with the CAD lights artisan 50 long, can be found here:

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47&products_id=283

I have heard people sometime have a tough time getting responses from sales after the initial order, this has been the case for me. I can be kind of a pain in the ass customer, but they could do better.

Thanks for input.

Archived