Coral Vue Hydros

Average Price for starting out.... 2g

Jimmyboo

High powered ones capable of supporting a reef do.

ahh ok. Can you give me an idea though, like hot to the touch, or like its going to melt the metal?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh ok. Can you give me an idea though, like hot to the touch, or like its going to melt the metal?

lol what? melt metal? It has a heat sink on it - it will be warm/hot to touch. You don't want a hood covering it because then the heat couldn't escape and could ruin the led's. This goes for any par30/38.

The black part of the bulb IS the heat sink.

par30vib18k-500x500.jpg

lol what? melt metal? It has a heat sink on it - it will be warm/hot to touch. You don't want a hood covering it because then the heat couldn't escape and could ruin the led's. This goes for any par30/38.

The black part of the bulb IS the heat sink.

par30vib18k-500x500.jpg

hahaha nice. Im just joshing but was actually interested in how it got. Ok very cool. anyone else have any other tips ideas etc about the tank?

BTW, I have finished the total adding of products and it comes to around $200 plus shipping, but I am going to try som stores to see where I can save some $$

Looks like you are making more progress then myself!

I looked for some type of mini power head locally today, no luck yet. I would like to have some flow besides air bubbles.

That one linked to you looks ideal.

Picked up a Tetra preset heater. I know that these don't get much love, but I dig the one in my frag tank. Easy to use as 78 is my target temperature anyways. Also grabbed a little air pump.

I tried to find some people using heater cables, as this may be easy to hide. They don't seem to be desired, or not very common. Some seem to be discontinued.

Don't forget to check Craiglist etc, you just might get a bunch of accessories for cheap like thermometers etc. plus an old tank of some sort may be handy to have around. Even consider placing a wanted ad with your specifics.

Looks like you are making more progress then myself!

I looked for some type of mini power head locally today, no luck yet. I would like to have some flow besides air bubbles.

That one linked to you looks ideal.

Picked up a Tetra preset heater. I know that these don't get much love, but I dig the one in my frag tank. Easy to use as 78 is my target temperature anyways. Also grabbed a little air pump.

I tried to find some people using heater cables, as this may be easy to hide. They don't seem to be desired, or not very common. Some seem to be discontinued.

Don't forget to check Craiglist etc, you just might get a bunch of accessories for cheap like thermometers etc. plus an old tank of some sort may be handy to have around. Even consider placing a wanted ad with your specifics.

Glad to hear I helped :happy: Hope to get the order out sometime in the very near future. After all this is a learning game :)

Will also be asking around to some reefer friends.

Best,

JB

Are there any local forums? I am always getting great deals from local forums and craigslist. This thread is making me want to pull out my 7.5 gallon and starting it back up.

If you're planning on mostly softies, you can always bring in a sample of your water to the LFS now and then to test for the usual ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. They usually do it for free. Then you can save the money from testing supplies to maybe buy a calcium test if you plan on hard corals, although I have some LPS in my tank that looks fine and I've never checked Ca/Alkalinity :D SPS will probably be less forgiving, however, though I don't have experience with them.

Best of luck! Fluval Chis can look really nice :)

I once brought a sample of water to my lfs because i wanted to make sure my readings were acurate and you know what they told me? They will not test my water because it is my responsibility to do so and that the test kits were on the shelf to be bought.

I once brought a sample of water to my lfs because i wanted to make sure my readings were acurate and you know what they told me? They will not test my water because it is my responsibility to do so and that the test kits were on the shelf to be bought.

Wow that's cheap!!

I mean they've already got the kit, help the hobby out and spare a few drops :lol:

Wow. I'm not sure I know any LFS around here that is unwilling to test water for free for NH3/NO2/NO3

Search Brandon Pico on YouTube.

He did all the work, "research", and experimentation on Gallon and Sub Gallon pico reefs 12 years ago. His videos are still up and very informative.

Wow that's cheap!!

I mean they've already got the kit, help the hobby out and spare a few drops :lol:

Wow. I'm not sure I know any LFS around here that is unwilling to test water for free for NH3/NO2/NO3

yea it was pretty pathetic...like i had already done the tests myself and wanted to make sure my readings were accurate. i wish i lived in an area with more lfs, thats for sure lol

I've spent about 400-500 total on my tank for everything, including livestock. I've "built" a few other picos <5g online and my shopping carts/spreadsheets always end up around 4-500.

im about $350 into my 3 gallon setup with about $100 more to go by the time i have my custom lid and ato system set up. between my filter, powerhead and t5 fixture, i should be comfortable up to 20 gallons if and when i plan on upgrading

Do you guys think I need fish food or anything just for the corals and such in the tank?

Yes, but I would worry about that when you have corals as different corals eat different particle sizes. I would personally feed right before a water change in such a small tank.

Yes, but I would worry about that when you have corals as different corals eat different particle sizes. I would personally feed right before a water change in such a small tank.

ok, ty. Will touch back on that ltr.

Archived