Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Using UV sterilizer ok using refugium?

kdubble78

I have a Biocube 29 and recently set up the InTank media basket and refugium in chamber 2. I have Chaeto in my 2nd chamber. I was wondering if using adding a UV sterilizer into the return line in chamber 3 will have a positive impact on my tank. No matter what I cannot get the water crystal clear yet.

thats likely due to silting more than anything.

you can use a uv sterilizer on a nano or pico reef at any time without harm. if I had a larger nano Id use a uv so grossly oversized it would offend many. but my corals would be packed wall to wall and wouldn't care, so in the end its ok to cheat w a uv. I like them. some dont like them, in which case they should not be used.

Crystal clear aquariums take time and flora and fauna need to balance out. You'll see cloudy water from bacteria and algae blooms that are normal and will go away in time. That said unless the tank has completed cycling I wold off on running uv. Reason being uv will kill the good bacteria trying to establish the tank. Once cycle is complete add the uv as it will only remove what is in the water column and the bacteria you want will be safe and sound in the rocks and substrate. I run uv 24/7

UV kills marine Ich, and algae cells in the water column.

They will also kill the beneficial bacteria in the water.

The Turbo Twist UV is economical, and fantastically designed. The water flows in a spiral around the bulb to maximize contact time. Thus you can use a smaller unit, using less power. Put an MJ400 on it, 4 feet of 1/2" tubing and your good to go. Like $115 for the whole kit.

Great feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

Another thing that concerned me was that I just seeded the refugium with pods trying to establish for future addition of a Mandarin. Any negative effects on the pods? They would obviously run through the uv. Between chamber 2 and entry into the tank.

Based on what I'm hearing, i will most likely hold off for at least 8-12 months.

Kailua-Kona

I turn off my UV when I add beneficial bacteria, but run the UV all other times. Once the bacteria settle on rocks and other substrate they do their job. All other bacteria can feel the wrath of the UV light!

Most UV lights are barely powerful enough to kill parasites like Crypto let alone larger animals like pods. I wouldn't worry.

There is no way an AIO back chamber refugium can sustain a pod population for a mandarin.

If you dont have a frozen food eating fish, youre going to spend a lot of money on bagged pods.

Archived