Cultivated Reef

1.5 gallon pico *New Tank*

edd29

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really cool.

I have a 7 gal reef tank and a 3 gal Picotope but these "micro tanks" really interest me even if they are not a long term reef tank.

I'm in the process of putting together a 1/2 gal tank that I refer to as "Spec 0.5" for reasons that will become clear.

I'll be starting a build thread on it in a day or two.

Anyway, I think edd29's tank is a refreshing new look at what can be done with very small tanks.

Looks awesome :) Make sure to stock SLOWLY!!!! Also, never try to join acrylic/plastic with silicone. I learned this the hard way too :P Use something like weld-on (solvent cement).

Good luck. Excited to see this one progress!

thesmallerthebetter

im with brandon 100% (no pun intended) and full (or near full) water changes being a very necessary means of nutrient reduction long term in these systems.

my 1g is filterless and started with no live rock other than what corals came on. i used very old dry rock to start.

my current 1G is at the 9.5 month mark now and as the tank becomes aged things become apparent:

1. Theres a TON of pod life in there, not just little guys either, big honking massive mysis stealing beasties.

2. Theres a TON of other stuff in there too! Starfish, fireworms, tubeworms, vermetid snails, flatworms (lots) bryzoans, ect.

3. These things EAT. and thus POOP. that means waste. now that waste can either be bound (chemical media), or removed (100% water change). but diluting it (partial water change) doesnt solve it forever.

with the way things are going for me in this tank i see no problem making it to the 1 year mark. and at that point itll be just smooth sailing. only thing i might do before then is ditch my sand and replace with a ABS or Starboard sheet. i hate the detritus that accumulates in the sand.

Looks awesome :) Make sure to stock SLOWLY!!!! Also, never try to join acrylic/plastic with silicone. I learned this the hard way too :P Use something like weld-on (solvent cement).

Good luck. Excited to see this one progress!

I wish you could of mention that before I modded the canister! I ended up starting over. haha After a couple minutes of the water circulating, I heard a loud crack and water poured out everywhere. :furious: Pretty sure this is the last time I ever mod anything :happy:. I made It harder on myself when I could of just done this....

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/eddrico29/media/Reef%20Tank/new_zps84e382a0.jpg.html'>new_zps84e382a0.jpg

Pretty much the same "tank" from Michaels. This way I only have to worry about 4 sides compared to 12 from the original. I am using more epoxy regardless to make sure there are no more surprises. I said I was going to make mistakes, and so far I am sticking to my word! :lol: Hopefully this time around it will go better!

On a side note: Thanks to Brandon and thesmallerthebetter for the added knowledge in this thread. Definitely taking notes!

Here it is! Its officially up and running with coral. I've done one water changed since I placed the coral in. I had a spike in ammonia but has settled very well since then. Just got filter floss in and will place that in on the next water change. All I have in the canister is LR and probably won't change that. Many pods swimming in the canister even after the water change which is always nice to see. My friend bought me all the coral to start since he says its his fault I got into this hobby.... which is true. haha

Sorry for the dirty tank! Probably will fix that with the filter floss next time. The Zoa will be moved to the top of the arc after a week.

tanklightFTS042814_zps411ba2f3.jpg

2FTS042814_zps4b2c3af3.jpg

GSP

GSP42814_zpsa90dc12f.jpg

FTS042814_zpsd7f562c1.jpg

Side view taken with my phone.

20140428_144052_zps26ce83d7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a little update. I tried to control myself and not get more coral, but I couldn't help myself haha. I had a streak of bad luck a few weeks back. I left for a week, and sadly I had a large leak while I was gone. My roommate tried his hardest to keep it filled but was working 13 hrs straight and would come home to half empty tank. Long story short, the water parameters were all over the place, a zoa dried up, and the GSP and hammer closed up. GSP was closed for about 2 weeks and was told to place it high and in direct flow. It worked! I have been trying to save the hammer, but I think I am going to call it quits since I keep reading that they are very hard to recover.

The zoa that I got has currently fallen twice in a week due to snails, and I clearly did a bad job securing it. Since then, it has been up and down, but hopefully I will see it bounce back soon. Anyways, here is what I got so far....

FTS-5-27-14_zps7b7d4209.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this? I just found two of these in the tank, and every time I come near it with a toothbrush, it sucks itself in. The tube is very hard like a shell. Any ideas?

Whatisit_zpsada5cfae.jpg

thesmallerthebetter

vermetid snail if u want an exact id. Awesome tank and cool concept!

or as i like to call them "Vermin Snails"

they get really slimy in a small tank and get all over my sps....

• 2 weeks later...

This tank has been up at two months. Have added quite a bit of stuff since the last update. I have noticed all corals have shown signs of growth. I got a goby.... I couldn't help myself. haha

FTSLeBron6-23-14_zps4df476ac.jpg

LeBron

6-23-14LeBron_zps1be6c6e9.jpg

6-23-14Top_zps4d1e9d9f.jpg

6-23-14Toparch_zps63ffef22.jpg

6-23-14GSPZoa_zpsa4623580.jpg

6-23-14SPS_zpse75d35f8.jpg

Before and after SPS.

SPSGrowth_zpsb43882d7.jpg

I made a hood to keep the goby from jumping out.

20140620_214912_zpsb67de275.jpg

20140620_214837_zps8fad8d32.jpg

6-23-14FTS2_zps74953f4e.jpg

Video of tank

• 2 weeks later...

Soon after my last update I got four more zoas and 2 sps. I got a Rasta, Radioactive, Fruit Loops, and Crazy skirts (Not sure on id.. bottom left) zoas. The green SPS (help with id as well) and the green Birdsnest. I have also added a red hermit crab and a blue hermit. I think my last coral will be a dendro inside the dark shaded arc and I think the tank will be complete. I've been taking some sand out and might eventually go bare bottom. I haven't decided after seeing tibssy07 thread on the topic.

For those wondering on the thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/347187-es-and-ts-pico-sand-bed-thread/

Took these pictures with my phone, I was to lazy to pull out my other one, haha.

FTS_zpsa281d7f3.jpg

Growth details.

My acan seems to be growing quickly with another head growing on the bottom lip.

60b536ae-739e-4dde-8d79-9b8f451a5815_zps

In two weeks the Fruity loops zoa has grown 1 polyp and in process of growing a fourth in the center.

20140708_211651_zpsd0e2ae60.jpg

GSP is simply going crazy.

Greem mushroom is growing faster than I expected, I might have to move it and get something else for the space.

Extra pics.

76089045-5dd6-408c-8eb7-25e717f135f5_zps

598dbe5f-e165-4592-a6f7-6a2cf9c4a71a_zps

2ac8dc1d-6219-4c54-ace4-975439a19ccb_zps

20140708_211604_zps6bf616ed.jpg

Cool tank! :)

Do you know what kind of goby that is, by the way? Reminds me of a dottyback

Glad you mention that!

In fact, I found out it was not a goby but a Purple Striped Dottyback. I asked for a fish perfect for a 1 gallon. Of course, I don't know any better and still learning from this hobby, so I purchased him. They gave it to me for the same price that was written on the glass that had a goby also in it, so I assumed it was a goby. Oooops!

I have found myself attached to it and don't think I could ever get rid of it. But I do agree, he/she is stunning!

antsypants

Glad you mention that!

In fact, I found out it was not a goby but a Purple Striped Dottyback. I asked for a fish perfect for a 1 gallon. Of course, I don't know any better and still learning from this hobby, so I purchased him. They gave it to me for the same price that was written on the glass that had a goby also in it, so I assumed it was a goby. Oooops!

I have found myself attached to it and don't think I could ever get rid of it. But I do agree, he/she is stunning!

Haha yeah I was like, I've never seen that kind of goby before and yet... looks strangely familiar :lol: He will probably outgrow that tank in the future though, so I'd suggest planning on that, but for now, it looks awesome in there. Good luck with this project :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

I'll sparknote it.

Arc fell apart, so I rescaped. Added a couple corals since I had the extra room. Hope you all like it better!

Side note: I got a macro lens for my galaxy s4 for 10$, I couldn't resist.

14774543066_9c99dd5917_z.jpg7-31-14 314817414883_e190057a53_z.jpg

14610870230_7a7690d112_z.jpg

14774579656_571cc21d35_z.jpg

14610946568_fbffe9dcbc_z.jpg

14797536985_e01e2eeb36_z.jpg7-31-14 2

Going to transfer to this in a month or so. Not bad for $13.

14611058587_204f2d4abf_z.jpg

Goby is a Diadem Dottyback, I'd highy recommend giving it a larger aquarium.

Yes, antsypats recommended that earlier. He has already been moved. Thanks :)

Archived