ReefCleaners.org

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MisturrTinnie

Ever think about modding your light with more blues? I had a beam works on mines and I'm in the process of ripping it apart and adding more blues in there to have a 15k look. Then it might tempt me to turn my fw tank into another nano in my room. :)

Once I get some corals, and if I feel they aren't "popping" enough in my current light, then maybe I'll do something. I should just get a Nanobox from Dave :P

MisturrTinnie

Once I get some corals, and if I feel they aren't "popping" enough in my current light, then maybe I'll do something. I should just get a Nanobox from Dave :P

Yeah those nano boxes are awesome, but the price steers me away since it's just a fluval spec v. For that price I could get a new reef ready aquarium set up. :P I'm just gonna build a cheap chinese led set up that'll do good and just sell my current lighting since it's overkill for a spec v and throw more money into my RSM. :wub:

those evergrow 120w ebay lights are pretty damn impressive, just keep up on keeping dust out and the box cool and you don't have anything to worry about. yeah the true out put of them isn't 120w, but on nano setups you're going to have it so turned down it won't be anywhere near half power let alone full. i'm one of those people that will risk chinese led's first before buying american, i usually have good luck with chinese units.

He's a pain in my ass! Whenever my Nassarius comes up from under the sandbed, he wants to eat him so bad! Piccolo and Gemma are too quick for him and they laugh in his face :) but the poor snail gets attacked every time... He never gets hurt though so its okay. My tank is having heat issues. I have no AC in my new place and my water is running between 79-82 degrees F. I just don't want it to get higher than that, so I've been using ice packs to cool it down. But tomorrow is gonna be 94 and I'm working all day... I'm about to go get a thermometer so I can unplug my Cobalt Neo-Therm. I have no other way of measuring temp haha.

I took my heater out a couple months ago for this same issue, my tank was overheating. I also bought a small 6" fan from walmart for like $10 and it works great to keep my tank between 74 and 76. I very rarely see the temp fluctuate outside of these parameters. I just set mine on top of my light so it is mainly blowing air only on my light fixture. This keeps my light nice and cool and in turn keeps my tank cool. I also have it set up on a timer so that the fan will kick on for an hour every 30 minutes. works like a charm. If the tank gets really hot you can position the fan so that it is blowing across the top of your tanks water line and this cools it by evaporative cooling. You will get elevated amounts of evaporation so its necessary to do more frequent freshwater top offs. I find myself doing about a gallon or more a week of FW top offs

I looked into the small fans, thank you! I keep my tank at 76 degrees F at all times normally. Right now, my Cobalt is reading 78*F. I'll be able to stop at home tomorrow, periodically, to monitor the tank. I'm unplugging my heater overnight and into the day. As I said earlier, the forecast says it will be 94*F Tuesday! This is Jersey, not Florida!!! I see no signs of stress in my animals, and everyone is eating normally :) I'm really just concerned about tomorrow. God, stop me from buying an invert today...

I went to Walmart to get a fan for $10, then I went to a LFS to get a cheap thermometer. But I couldn't part without replacing my Banded Trochus that committed suicide, right?!

IMG_20140901_143612702_zps73rgxquu.jpg

IMG_20140901_144546516_zpscpfso0v8.jpg

IMG_20140901_143540296_HDR_zpstvb6y4yr.j

MisturrTinnie

You should be set for the heatwave tomorrow now. As I'm in Texas and temperatures are always like 95+ my ac is always blasting, kinda kills my electricity bill. I really need to find a way to run a probe chill on one of these nanos, and need a chiller for my larger tank. But it seems like I might be getting out of the spec v gang soon, found a deal for a biocube 14 for 75 with LEDs. :closedeyes:

Oh please, I'd upgrade if I could, but I don't have the time or the money. I was looking into the biocube 14's before I saw the Spec V marked down 50% and said "what the hell." Do it dude. You'll always be part of my gang.

Hi guy. Appreciated the reply that you're following my PicO 5gal thread. I am also following yours and have one simple question.

Why no coral yet ?

I'm having trouble with surface debris for the first time. Also, my Purigen is still white and I've never changed it or rejuvenated it either... I'm beginning to think that I don't have my media basket from InTank set in there correctly... Whenever I put my surface skimmer on the grate, it runs my sump dry, regardless of how my media basket sits. Its driving me mad right now. I think I need some help...

I have plenty of water! In the display, the water level is only 1/4" from the rim of the tank... So much water seems to seep through the outside of the media basket, missing the fkoss, etc. I just don't like all the floating shit on top of my water, and my Purigen should need replacing by now, but the color does not reflect that.

Soooo I think I have Bryopsis... Today before I left for work at 4:30, everything looked fine, asid from the HA and Brown Algae and Diatoms. Its on the rock in some places, along with the glass too, I think. I'm hoping whatever it is, it doesn't get on my sandbed! So far nothing has touched that. I also have GHA and a little bit of RHA as well, on the rock.

Has anyone tried Hydrogen Peroxide dosing? I hear nothing but good things. Right now I have no livestock in the tank, or Corals. Do you think my rock is leaking Phosphates like woah?

I had bryopsis while my tank was cycling as well. I removed the rocks and scrubbed it al off with a toothbrush. It was slimy work, but the bryopsis never returned at all again. Another way to help is to reduce the time that you turn your lights on until you have corals in there.

I had to add tape to the sides of the surface skimmer and cut the center slightly to make it skim the surface. The water would just go around the sides before I taped it. I used clear packing tape and wrapped it around the surface skimmer, leaving 1/4" tabs of tape sticking out both sides. This covers the side gaps.

I also had to add more water once it was skimming properly. If the water starts to touch the lid in the main tank, then cut the center of the skimmer down a little bit (or push the skimmer down) to allow more flow over the top.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

I said it above, I can't even use the Skimmer from InTank... I have one but when I install it, it doesn't allow water in quickly enough and my sump runs dry. I don't necessarily want my water level that high at all. I just added water to see if it would help. This is all very confusing, I know. I guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own!

Archived