inTank Media Baskets

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

Will dosing the tank get rid of the spots on the glass? It's like covered man. I couldn't get a pic, but I don't think an Algae scraper will solve my problems. I guess I should get rid of the Algae on the rock first since I don't want that die-off in my tank? Sorry for all the questions... Just a bit worried. It happened so quickly. Maybe I should test the water for Ammonia and Nitrites?I don't have a Phosphate test but I'd bet a million bucks I have high levels.

I wanna learn from all of this, and I bet any other rock I get will have a shit-load of problems too...

Algae scraper should work fine for the glass. if it's not TOO bad, get the CUC first so they have something to eat =). dont worry too much, my Spec V is covered with hair algae and bryopsis and some other turf algae right now after a mini crash. I am slowly winning the battle with frequent water changes and manual removal. If it doesn't get better in another week, I will scrub the rock down with H202.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Algae scraper should work fine for the glass. if it's not TOO bad, get the CUC first so they have something to eat =). dont worry too much, my Spec V is covered with hair algae and bryopsis and some other turf algae right now after a mini crash. I am slowly winning the battle with frequent water changes and manual removal. If it doesn't get better in another week, I will scrub the rock down with H202.

So don't scrape the glass until the CUC gets to it first? Also, most snails and crustaceans will not eat Bryopsis, correct? I guess I'll know if it's Bryopsis then if it's still there after the CUC...

My CUC is currently acclimating to my tank. I'm the proud owner of 3 new creatures that amaze me. Stay tuned for pics later!

Just began following your thread. Excited to see your new creatures.

Everyone here is the coolest. Again, if it weren't for people like you, and ninjamyst, Kijho, NanoClown, Muraki, and anyone else I didn't mention, I wouldn't even have this experience. So thank you. I stumbled upon your build as well. Pretty impressive.

Everyone here is the coolest. Again, if it weren't for people like you, and ninjamyst, Kijho, NanoClown, Muraki, and anyone else I didn't mention, I wouldn't even have this experience. So thank you. I stumbled upon your build as well. Pretty impressive.

Ahh thank you. I am still learning too even though I've been at it awhile.

Ahh thank you. I am still learning too even though I've been at it awhile.

I'm just trying to stay calm and not freak out about things of which I know nothing about, like algae, and to not jump to conclusions when trying to fix problems. One method toward a healthy tank might be great for one, but that doesn't mean it will work for me or anyone else for that matter! Patience is key... ;)

Sweet pick ups! You might want to pick up another cerith snail or 2 once you stock your tank more. Other than that I love the conch, try to get some more pictures of it when you get a chance B)

Sweet pick ups! You might want to pick up another cerith snail or 2 once you stock your tank more. Other than that I love the conch, try to get some more pictures of it when you get a chance B)

I was gonna pick up a Nassarius Snail ( I know they don't eat algae) should I not do that, as it will compete with the Fighting Conch for food? I just want to make sure my substrate will be aerated enough, as I have a somewhat deep sandbed. I might just get another lighter colored Caribbean Cerith Snail. They look so different compared to the Mexican variety which I already have.

When I placed my order with ReefCleaners.org for my 12 gallon, I got 20+ dwarf ceriths, 10 narrarius, and 3 Nerites. For my Spec, I got 10 dwarf ceriths, 4 nassarius, and 1 nerite. Sooooo I think you can definitely have more snails =P.

Mexican White Tip Cerith Snail

IMAG0410_zpsu87x4ujp.jpg

Emerald Mithrax Crab

IMAG0409_zps23aih3nl.jpg

Florida Fighting Conch!

IMAG0412_zpsooizsiti.jpg

Juno

:happy:

IMAG0411_zpsqebwkhgk.jpg

Hey, I want one of those furry gray creatures in the last pic!!! LOL

CUC looks awesome dude!!

Thanks man! I might get another Cerith Snail, and also a Nassarius Snail today! I gotta scrape together some money first...

Time to start stocking some fish in there!!

I want things to look better in my tank as far as the algae and deitrus are concerned before I had any fish. My nitrates aren't that low and I wanna make sure my tank can handle the bioload. It's only 10 days old! I'm loving how fast everything progressed; glad I did my research.

FISH SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! I wanna hear your ideas. :D I'm thinking one fish. I'm leaning towards a Yellow Clown Goby, as I hear they have great personality, but I wanted something more unique. Also, I hear they can be fussy eaters. Most other Gobies hide a lot and are shy, and I want an active fish that will swim around most levels of the aquarium. It seems most fish, other than a Goby species, would require too much space for my tank size (5 Gallons in the display). Shoot!

treborzelev

Get some awesome pipe fish, crazy colors will make your tank pop. wow only ten days soo i take that back but you definitely can add some more snails and even some hermits at this point if you tank has completely cycled..has it?

Install the 606 and the surface skimmer, while the pump is running adjust the surface skimmer to get the water level in the display section to the height you desire. then in your back chamber there will be a good decrease in the amount of water most likely. Add extra saltwater to a desired level in the back chamber, but I recommend the level to be lower then what is in your display section. Then with a sharpie, mark with a little dash where the levels are in each of the sections, so when you go to top off you will only be topping off to the mark in the back chamber. The surface skimmer allows for more of an overflow ability in the SpecV. If you need a picture, I can take a picture of my SpecV surface skimmer for comparison.

To fix the slit in the wall, use some coral epoxy or super glue gel. I had to do the same because I did not know to do this either until after my tank was wet.

Good luck to the both of you! I'm still tuning in my specV as well, Nanobox is on the way and better salt too! So I soon hope to have pictures up!

WHY is everyone cutting out one of my favorite designs that is included with this awesome tank?? the lower hole is really only a safety measure that keeps the media compartment and return full of water even when the water level is low...the 606 is a very powerful pump and even with the slit "open" the surface skimmer still works and many gallons per hour will pass through your media basket...i feel like this is one example of "well everyone else did it" lol so PLEASE do not plug up this most thoughtful design.

Get some awesome pipe fish, crazy colors will make your tank pop. wow only ten days soo i take that back but you definitely can add some more snails and even some hermits at this point if you tank has completely cycled..has it?

Yes it definitely has cycled. Ammonia and Nitrite were 0 after day 4 or 5, with a large presence of Nitrate. Then I saw a massive algae bloom of all types. Everything stayed that way, so I changed half the water, got Nitrates down to 5ppm, and added my first three CUC members!

No hermits for me. What species of Pipefish?

WHY is everyone cutting out one of my favorite designs that is included with this awesome tank?? the lower hole is really only a safety measure that keeps the media compartment and return full of water even when the water level is low...the 606 is a very powerful pump and even with the slit "open" the surface skimmer still works and many gallons per hour will pass through your media basket...i feel like this is one example of "well everyone else did it" lol so PLEASE do not plug up this most thoughtful design.

I was gonna undo that anyway. My sump reaches dangerously low levels almost every day, and I top off every day...

treborzelev

Yes it definitely has cycled. Ammonia and Nitrite were 0 after day 4 or 5, with a large presence of Nitrate. Then I saw a massive algae bloom of all types. Everything stayed that way, so I changed half the water, got Nitrates down to 5ppm, and added my first three CUC members!

No hermits for me. What species of Pipefish?

I was gonna undo that anyway. My sump reaches dangerously low levels almost every day, and I top off every day...

Add some hermits the snails will never be able to truly clean up all the waste ie: another dead snail whereas the hermit crabs even small ones will be able to!

Nassarius Snails ;) and I don't plan on killing anything, brotha. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with a tank as heavily stocked as yours... More power to you, but I like simplicity.

Go full on false clown haha... just kidding I know you aren't for that!!

I gotta go find a new Orange spotted tonight. I really hope I can bring him up and give him a good home the way I did my previous one so that he's as active.

The conch is soo cool!

If it were up to me I would try to get a pair of Neon or Greenbanded Gobies. They're perfect for the tank size and each have a unique color scheme. I just feel really bad keeping a fish alone in a tank, I feel like they get lonely and need a friend lmao

Archived