Pod Your Reef

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

My first Diatom bloom on the glass!

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Etucc8/media/IMAG0366_zpswrgdx5qn.jpg.html'>IMAG0366_zpswrgdx5qn.jpg

Hair algae... luckily for now it's in small patches and not large colonies. Should I cut the lights until I test the water tomorrow? I just blew off the rock with a turkey baster and changed my filter floss.

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Etucc8/media/IMAG0367_zpswr8avsol.jpg.html'>IMAG0367_zpswr8avsol.jpg

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you get a decent CUC after your cycle finishes that GHA should be no problem ;)

Thanks dude! I figured as much since mine doesn't seem to be as big of a problem compared with other's tanks I've seen haha.

I think I'm gonna get a Cerith, Nassarius, and an Emerald Crab. What do you think about the choices/numbers? Ceriths eat just about anything and Nassarius clean the sand well. I'm hoping the Emerald will eat any leftover GHA

I absolutely love ceriths, they do the same job as any turbo/astrea but are half the size and less clumsy (do not fall on their backs as much :lol:)

Nassarius are interesting snails, half the time they will remain in your sandbed and only pop up during feeding, On the contrary to popular belief they do not eat detrius that has accumulated in your sandbed, they only eat up leftovers / fresh foods. And do a great job at it!

Ive never been a fan of Emerald Crabs in the past (simply because I prefer hermits). Through my own experience when I had a bubble algea and GHA problem, my emerald crab was great at cleaning up all kinds of nuisance algeas.

In case you're wondering, my current CUC consists of 6 Cerith and 4 Nassarius snails. I will eventually move 2 of my ceriths and 1 Nassarius over to my 2 gallon once that tank gets all settled in. At that time i'll probably pick up 2 Trochus snails (if I need them, and given that my LFS can keep some in stock :closedeyes:)

What other snail do you recommend besides a Nassarius? I was looking for snails to cover all of the "Algae bases" haha. But I don't want have to feed the Nassarius because I don't plan to stock a fish for some time after. I'm still undecided on which fish I want anyway. :lol:

I absolutely love ceriths, they do the same job as any turbo/astrea but are half the size and less clumsy (do not fall on their backs as much :lol:)

Nassarius are interesting snails, half the time they will remain in your sandbed and only pop up during feeding, On the contrary to popular belief they do not eat detrius that has accumulated in your sandbed, they only eat up leftovers / fresh foods. And do a great job at it!

There really arent any other sand sifter type of snails around (although it really depends on your LFS and the variety that they have to offer.

earlier I meant to say that Nassarius do not eat ALGEAS, they will indeed eat detrius

Sorry I got my facts mixed up for a second :rolleyes: (brain's fried after a long day of classes lol)

They should be fine up until the time that you do get some kind of fish, they are scavengers after all

earlier I meant to say that Nassarius do not eat ALGEAS, they will indeed eat detrius

Sorry I got my facts mixed up for a second :rolleyes: (brain's fried after a long day of classes lol)

For some reason, dude, I knew exactly what you meant, and didn't even notice B)

I just won't get one. I'd rather have a Fighting Conch anyway!

p-80499-conch.jpg

Can't wait for the CUC when you add it, this is coming along so awesome!!

You might see a CUC tomorrow if my water tests out okay! But I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'm just gonna bring a water sample to my choice LFS and have them test everything, then buy an API Test Kit from him!

I actually have an Emerald crab and she is one of my favorites in my tank. Hides all day and comes out in the early evening and goes to TOWN on my main rock. In addition I have 3 hermits, 2 Mexican reds and a blue leg. They all keep things pretty clean.

I was pushed into a corner of using filtered tap water to top off and am fighting off dinoflagellates which no one in the tank seems to care much about. I must say though I am quite happy with my emerald is all I really wanted to say.

Here are my first test results. Am I cycled, or do I have yet to cycle?

IMAG0377_zpszfievg6y.jpg

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: = somewhere between 10-20ppm, I'd say.

Honestly, I think I'm cycled, but it's been only 6 days! Is this possible? I had a small diatom bloom that receded but there are a few spots on the glass and rocks still. There's a bit of GHA (my lights are on 14 hours a day) but a lot of green and purple Coralline Algae as well!

PICS

IMAG0376_zpsztf7qk6r.jpg

IMAG0375_zpsrbitqlto.jpg

IMAG0374_zpsjya2v7ph.jpg

IMAG0371_zpspvmi1uko.jpg

I actually have an Emerald crab and she is one of my favorites in my tank. Hides all day and comes out in the early evening and goes to TOWN on my main rock. In addition I have 3 hermits, 2 Mexican reds and a blue leg. They all keep things pretty clean.

I was pushed into a corner of using filtered tap water to top off and am fighting off dinoflagellates which no one in the tank seems to care much about. I must say though I am quite happy with my emerald is all I really wanted to say.

Yeah I think my water chemistry is fine even with the tap water! Definitely wouldn't do it again though.

I can't wait to get an Emerald. Maybe tomorrow if I can get some answers on these test results... They seem so odd.

Depending on if your rock was already cured it could have cycled faster, in the past I have had tanks cycle rather fast.

Your tank should be ready to go from the looks of your results. That lingering amount of nitrates indicates the end of the cycle. Do a nice size water change (maybe 2-3 gallons) and test your water again a day or so later. If your nitrates lower then I'd say youre good to go!

Depending on if your rock was already cured it could have cycled faster, in the past I have had tanks cycle rather fast.

Your tank should be ready to go from the looks of your results. That lingering amount of nitrates indicates the end of the cycle. Do a nice size water change (maybe 2-3 gallons) and test your water again a day or so later. If your nitrates lower then I'd say youre good to go!

I feel like I defied science or something... Are there any processes that must occur, besides the nitrogen cycle? I want to get a CUC tomorrow haha.

My cycle was super quick too... I just went slow haha.

I bought cured live rock, began adding shrimp (ammonia) and it quickly built up the good bacteria. Literally after a day or two I of this - adding the shrimp didn't do much.

When I put my first livestock in (my Goby) I had am ammonia spike for about 9 hours go up to 0.25ppm.

Quickly turned into Nitrites (bad!!) but then also very quickly turned into Nitrates. I haven't seen any ammonia or nitrites come back since..

I had a fair bit of GHA begin too... aswell as the diatoms everywhere.

Unfortunately none of my CUC snails ate the GHA :(

I ended up removing that rock completely .. sadly.. it was a pretty pricy rock too haha

My cycle was super quick too... I just went slow haha.

I bought cured live rock, began adding shrimp (ammonia) and it quickly built up the good bacteria. Literally after a day or two I of this - adding the shrimp didn't do much.

I might just do a water change and acclimate some CUC fellas...

I might just do a water change and acclimate some CUC fellas...

Dooo it!

I love my Trochus snails, I literally only have a 2 man CUC ...

One died. RIP.

But yeah, they're tanks.

I'm waiting for my nitrates to drop. My GHA is turning brown and dying which is good. I dud a water change today and my Nitrate levels are at about 5ppm. I want them as close to Zero as possible. Hopefully my rock, Purigen, and Chemi-Pure will do some work tonight and I won't have to do a WC before I add some critters.

My Nitrates were less than or equal to 5ppm when I tested around 7 hours ago. I changed out about 3 gallons of water yesterday and saw a drastic drop in Nitrates, so I'm hoping that it'll be closer to 0 by tonight or tomorrow when I test again. I was thinking of getting some Chaeto to put into the display area to help keep my Nitrates at bay in the future! Am I worrying too much about the Nitrates? I just don't wanna lose any CUC members, as I hear inverts and crustaceans are sensitive to Nitrates, even in trace amounts... Any comments?

Yeah I've had like 10ppm for the past week haha.... I had my snails in pretty early.

Go gogogo get em!!!!! Maybe get only a couple to start and see! :)

Tomorrow, mah ninja! I want a Fighting Conch so badly but I can't find one in any stores around here... I need one. I'll probably get a Cerith Snail and Emerald Crab tomorrow. I want something that sifts the sand though. Nassarius perhaps? I'm worried a Conch will be too big eventually, growing to 4" in their adult size.

i've had my eye on the conch as well. im guessing you've inquired aquarium center about one? (seeing you're from south jersey as well, its pretty much the only option for a decent store with a saltwater selection, luckily there a damn good lfs) if so this is depressing because im going to have to order one online now haha.

Soooo I think I have Bryopsis... Today before I left for work at 4:30, everything looked fine, asid from the HA and Brown Algae and Diatoms. Its on the rock in some places, along with the glass too, I think. I'm hoping whatever it is, it doesn't get on my sandbed! So far nothing has touched that. I also have GHA and a little bit of RHA as well, on the rock.

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Etucc8/media/IMAG0397_zpsby1lfdvv.jpg.html'>IMAG0397_zpsby1lfdvv.jpg

Has anyone tried Hydrogen Peroxide dosing? I hear nothing but good things. Right now I have no livestock in the tank, or Corals. Do you think my rock is leaking Phosphates like woah?

i've had my eye on the conch as well. im guessing you've inquired aquarium center about one? (seeing you're from south jersey as well, its pretty much the only option for a decent store with a saltwater selection, luckily there a damn good lfs) if so this is depressing because im going to have to order one online now haha.

I was there a few weeks ago, at Aquarium Center, and I didn't think to look at the time. I still didn't have all of my equipment at that point. But let's have each other's backs on this one, because I definitely don't wanna pay online livestock shipping costs... But I want that conch haha.

I'm just super concerned about my tank's health at the moment. Still get a CUC if the all my levels are okay?

algae = time for CUC. if you can take out your rock, take a toothbrush and some 50/50 mix of H202 and water and scrub the rock where the algae is. Keep the rock out for 1-2 mins, rinse it with tank water, and put back into the tank.

Man one of my rocks had a bunch of weird algae on it.. thought it was a big problem.

I didn't have the patience to try and fix it so I just took the rock out and dried it completely and it's now in storage. Dead rock now.....

Haven't had any issue but I do have 2 tiny tiny micro size aiptasia' I can see starting. Gonna zap those guys this weekend during water change with the pumps off.

algae = time for CUC. if you can take out your rock, take a toothbrush and some 50/50 mix of H202 and water and scrub the rock where the algae is. Keep the rock out for 1-2 mins, rinse it with tank water, and put back into the tank.

Will dosing the tank get rid of the spots on the glass? It's like covered man. I couldn't get a pic, but I don't think an Algae scraper will solve my problems. I guess I should get rid of the Algae on the rock first since I don't want that die-off in my tank? Sorry for all the questions... Just a bit worried. It happened so quickly. Maybe I should test the water for Ammonia and Nitrites?I don't have a Phosphate test but I'd bet a million bucks I have high levels.

Man one of my rocks had a bunch of weird algae on it.. thought it was a big problem.

I didn't have the patience to try and fix it so I just took the rock out and dried it completely and it's now in storage. Dead rock now.....

I wanna learn from all of this, and I bet any other rock I get will have a shit-load of problems too...

Archived