Top Shelf Aquatics

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

Current FTS: (10/16/2014)

IMG_20141016_121527976_HDR_zpsspwyj709.j

Equipment:

Fluval Spec V

MiniJet 606 return pump w/ Hydor deflector attached.

Cobalt NeoTherm 75W Heater

Nano Box Eco LED

inTank Media Basket (Filter Floss, 11oz. Chemi-Pure Blue)

Stocking: (10/15/2014)

Yellow Clown Goby (Piccolo!) (Died, 10/5/2014 :( )

Royal Gramma (Caesar)

Blue Damsel (Gemma)

Fighting Conch (Rocky)

Emerald Crab (Emilio)

Peppermint Shrimp (Pepe')

2 Mini-Conchs (Columbellid sp.)

Banded Trochus

Florida Cerith

Dwarf Cerith

Super Tongan Nassarius

10lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

3.5lbs of Live Rock

Original Post

Issues:

I have the surface skimmer that came with my media basket, but my 606 drains my sump dry when I attach it because it doesn't allow enough water back into the sump quickly enough. Any ideas why this happens? I think it may have to do with my filter floss. It's Deep Blue brand. It was cheap, it came with a lot, and its awesome, but I think it may be too thick... Maybe I can cut a smaller piece. The one in there now is pretty snug.

PICS!

IMAG0331_zpst3zbsjb9.jpg

IMAG0332_zpspqy8uhyn.jpg

IMAG0333_zpsyt5gn8u3.jpg

IMAG0337_zpsrq03wdex.jpg

IMAG0335_zpsdvgi5d86.jpg

Sorry for the giant photos! Thank you, everyone, for giving me the inspiration for this tank. I literally wouldn't have done this if it wasn't for Nano-Reef and all the members, especially my Spec V fellas! Let me know what you guys think. B)

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, looks so nice already!! I'm so jealous.. I have to wait so long to buy things up here in Canada like the media basket and skimmer. Also, I never read up on calking that slid in the wall so I have mine wide open. Wish I knew that before.. I don't know how I could fix this now.

Off to such an amazing start I really can't wait to see thing progress! Followed!

Issues:

I have the surface skimmer that came with my media basket, but my 606 drains my sump dry when I attach it because it doesn't allow enough water back into the sump quickly enough. Any ideas why this happens? I think it may have to do with my filter floss. It's Deep Blue brand. It was cheap, it came with a lot, and its awesome, but I think it may be too thick... Maybe I can cut a smaller piece. The one in there now is pretty snug.

Install the 606 and the surface skimmer, while the pump is running adjust the surface skimmer to get the water level in the display section to the height you desire. then in your back chamber there will be a good decrease in the amount of water most likely. Add extra saltwater to a desired level in the back chamber, but I recommend the level to be lower then what is in your display section. Then with a sharpie, mark with a little dash where the levels are in each of the sections, so when you go to top off you will only be topping off to the mark in the back chamber. The surface skimmer allows for more of an overflow ability in the SpecV. If you need a picture, I can take a picture of my SpecV surface skimmer for comparison.

Oh man, looks so nice already!! I'm so jealous.. I have to wait so long to buy things up here in Canada like the media basket and skimmer. Also, I never read up on calking that slid in the wall so I have mine wide open. Wish I knew that before.. I don't know how I could fix this now.

Off to such an amazing start I really can't wait to see thing progress! Followed!

To fix the slit in the wall, use some coral epoxy or super glue gel. I had to do the same because I did not know to do this either until after my tank was wet.

Good luck to the both of you! I'm still tuning in my specV as well, Nanobox is on the way and better salt too! So I soon hope to have pictures up!

Install the 606 and the surface skimmer, while the pump is running adjust the surface skimmer to get the water level in the display section to the height you desire. then in your back chamber there will be a good decrease in the amount of water most likely. Add extra saltwater to a desired level in the back chamber, but I recommend the level to be lower then what is in your display section. Then with a sharpie, mark with a little dash where the levels are in each of the sections, so when you go to top off you will only be topping off to the mark in the back chamber. The surface skimmer allows for more of an overflow ability in the SpecV. If you need a picture, I can take a picture of my SpecV surface skimmer for comparison.

Good luck to the both of you! I'm still tuning in my specV as well, Nanobox is on the way and better salt too! So I soon hope to have pictures up!

Honestly, There is about a 1/4 inch difference in water level between my tank and the sump section #1. There's overflow and also pretty decent skimming so far. If you look at the top-view pic in my first post, it's quite clear. My rock is clean, which I love, as well as my substrate. I have no quarrels with my tank right now. Thanks dude!

And I want a Nano-Box...

I couldn't tell from the picture completely. Is the 606 currently installed? Or are you still on the stock pump because of the back chamber is still draining to fast?

I couldn't tell from the picture completely. Is the 606 currently installed? Or are you still on the stock pump because of the back chamber is still draining to fast?

No, the 606 is running.

Ah! So was it the filter floss causing the issues you mentioned in your very first post?

I'm still not really sure to be honest haha. Right now I'm hanging out with my buddies and my girl watchin' TV. I'm gonna try and not stress too much with this tank. My water is clear and no parasites are visible so far. No reason to mess with anything right now. I'm extremely happy and I can't wait to get livestock.

I need to find a place in jersey to buy cheap budget corals. I'm not asking for anything great. My light isn't that powerful...

Awesome tank! I'm trying to get one started myself and I was wondering how the deep blue light was? I looked into getting the same one myself but some reviews I read said it wasn't bright enough. How is it working for you?

Awesome tank! I'm trying to get one started myself and I was wondering how the deep blue light was? I looked into getting the same one myself but some reviews I read said it wasn't bright enough. How is it working for you?

Thanks!

Its definitely bright enough, but I'm wondering if it's going to have enough blue. I might get a small blue clamp-on one to supplement more blue light if I don't think my corals pop enough with all the lights on. But the blue-only setting is perfect for corals.

Again, it's pretty bright. I think it looks great, and it's like $45 on Amazon.

nice, another Fluval Spec V. will be following along.

Good. Your build thread was one of the first I read through extensively. I've learned a lot from you already haha. You made me want to get a Rock Flower Nem...

Some updated photos. It's only been two and a half days, and I'm already seeing coralline algae, I believe? Could it have just been there before I put the rock in my tank? I don't remember it being so colorful though. Thoughts?

IMAG0348_zpsgwgembwp.jpg

IMAG0345_zps8azumhhx.jpg

IMAG0347_zpsivvenup9.jpg

IMAG0349_zpskhh87zrz.jpg

It's in plenty of other places on the rock, as well. Also, there seems to be this green stuff growing that is about the thickness of those little white tube worms, but its green and doesn't sway in the water flow like the worms do. If it grows some more, I'll let you know!

That green stringy algae I mentioned before. I swear it grew more by the hour. It's hard to see but it kinda looks like grass.

IMAG0360_zpsyzogfkrr.jpg

This one is the longest "branch." (Dip in the rock, near heater wire.)

IMAG0362_zpseejhtsoe.jpg

looks like diatom. thats prettyfast. by the way, how did u get the hydor flow rotating thing to attach? none of the adapte fits.

I gotta pick up a testing kit tomorrow it seems! And I literally took the piece of stock hose that I cut to fit the 606 pump and attached it to the smallest diameter adapter that attaches to the hydor, then attached the tubing to the 90 degree elbow(which came with the Spec V) which is attached to the 606 pump. No silicone or anything. Plus its easy to detach and fiddle with haha.

Algae already!!!

I gotta pick up a testing kit tomorrow it seems! And I literally took the piece of stock hose that I cut to fit the 606 pump and attached it to the smallest diameter adapter that attaches to the hydor, then attached the tubing to the 90 degree elbow(which came with the Spec V) which is attached to the 606 pump. No silicone or anything. Plus its easy to detach and fiddle with haha.

dang! i threw away the stock hose leftovers for the 606.

you don't REALLY need test kit to tell when your cycle is done. Diatoms signify the beginning of the end of your cycle. once the diatoms clear up you're good to go :)

You can get some more. Go to one of the big home improvement stores and ask for 1/4" tubing for water.

Thanks Kush! I should definitely get one anyway to check my levels anyway though. And I need the Reef test kit as well. Will the Diatoms clear up without a CUC?

You can get some more. Go to one of the big home improvement stores and ask for 1/4" tubing for water.

Thanks Kush! I should definitely get one anyway to check my levels anyway though. And I need the Reef test kit as well. Will the Diatoms clear up without a CUC?

Yep doesn't hurt to have one on hand. And yes the diatoms will go away on their own. Diatoms occur because of silicates in the water, once all the silicates are used up the diatoms will starve themselves out.

I have GHA sprouting too... Should I be worried? It's not much but definitely there. I may have used a gallon of conditioned tap water on day 1, mixed with RO... But I've been topping off with distilled ever since then. I'm currently running chemi pure elite and Purigen in my sump.

Archived