Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

1 or 2 Gallon cookie jar reef?

Gilligan

Hello.

I have been inspired to start a Pico reef, even though I have a few other projects on the go.

I would like to ask your advise.

The "Heritage Hill" cookie jar seems to be common for these pico reefs.

Before I went into Walmart, I stopped by Micheal's which actually has a pretty tempting collection of glass for pico reefs. They had cylinders, "shallow tanks", with and without lids.

Way too many choices, most of it had sub-par glass unfortunately. Too many bubbles, defects and seams. They did however have some taller cylinders with good glass I'm sure some would like.

I thought I better go to Walmart to see what they had and actually went with the Heritage hills jar.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-69372MN-2-Gallon-Glass-Heritage-Jar/16486707

What a difference made in the USA makes. The cookie jars are less money and much nicer glass then the stuff at the craft store.

What I don't like about them is the glass lid, the ones at the craft store had plastic or stainless lids which would make it much easier to route wires. I don't mind the look of it though. These also have a little wider aspect ratio which gives a decent floor space.

Be as indecisive as I am, I bought the 1 and 2 gallon version.

So basically I need to decide which one to set up.

1 gallon is 7" round by 7" tall

2 gallon is 9" round by 9" tall

I will be lighting this with <1 watt LEDs. (DIY fixture of sorts)

Heat I guess will be one of those preset heat-pads.

Now, I want to take this into work, which is a woodworking shop.

I am going to have to be a little creative in keeping the dust out, yet getting oxygen in. (This is where a plastic lid would be more versatile for DIY.)

I don't think corals will have a problem with the noise, I wouldn't put fish in there though.

I have some Carib Sea sand and some Key largo DR as well as some rubble.

As far as stock, I am flexible. I have a few frags here and there and could always get more if I needed something specific.

I debated making a little rimless AIO and I still might one day, but I like how the jar is more enclosed, a little more free-spirited as far as DIY goes.

So give me your input as to which size I should go with. As I type this I am leaning towards the 2-gallon 9" tank. Originally I figured I wanted the 1 gallon.

The 1 gallon would light up a little easier, the 2 gallon would be a little easier to get a nice aquascape.

Thank you for your time.

Going for the 2 gallon.

I want some room around the glass for cleaning, room for equipment. I decided it's not about the smallest tank I can build.

For a tiny tank, I would do some kind of DIY rimless AIO. I will leave that project for another time and go with this style.

19538_1.jpg

Going for the 2 gallon.

I want some room around the glass for cleaning, room for equipment. I decided it's not about the smallest tank I can build.

For a tiny tank, I would do some kind of DIY rimless AIO. I will leave that project for another time and go with this style.

hey, Im doing the same thing with a 2 gallon. Heres a cool pic I found of one.

Archived