Pod Your Reef

First tank - Oceanic Biocube HQI (29G)

heywooood

Hi all,

I've been reading so many of the threads on NR for a couple months now and finally took the leap when a mature setup became available in my area. The tank was stocked with many things I'll likely replace, I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms, but overall I'm happy with this as a starting point.

Livestock includes:

- Yasha Hase Goby

- Blue Chromis

- Clown (Percula?)

- Cleaner shrimp

- Sexy shrimp

- Squamosa clam?

- Hammer coral

- Green Sinularis (?)

- Red, brown, etc mushrooms

- Many snails and crabs

- Many starfish(?)

Anything with a question mark I just don't know for sure, I'll try to ID over time. If you see anything worth noting, please let me know.

The relocation disturbed much of the setup, so I'm anticipating a bloom of some kind, but so far it all seems to have settled ok (it's only been 12 hours). I do see GHA is some places, as well as a fair amount of bubble algae, which I'd like to keep under control (emerald crab seems to be a popular choice). My primary goal at this point is to ensure everything is stable, parameters don't go crazy with everything being disturbed, and possibly identify areas of cleanup. I don't care for some of the growth along the back wall, I'd like to remove as much as is healthy (not the pink stuff, just the brown and/or hairy stuff).

Anyway, glad to be here, will do my best to not ask stupid questions and thanks in advance for your insight and assistance.

post-84374-0-97024700-1397750506_thumb.jpg

post-84374-0-11322100-1397750786_thumb.jpg

post-84374-0-81230600-1397750791_thumb.jpg

Hey seabass, thanks....everything is doing well. I've picked up an emerald crab for the GBA, he seems to be doing his part. I've also added a small zoa frag in hopes of making this my own over time. Tomorrow I'll focus on gathering parameters...I have a collection of test kits (Phosphate, calcium, Alkalinity, iodine, magnesium, pH) but nothing for nitrites/nitrates and no hydrometer. I have supplements for the corals and will likely feed them tomorrow as well (need a baster I guess). I'm really out of my depth when it comes to the water chemistry, so I've been trying to absorb as much experience as possible through sites like this.

I have a collection of test kits (Phosphate, calcium, Alkalinity, iodine, magnesium, pH) but nothing for nitrites/nitrates and no hydrometer.

There is no need for a nitrite kit, but an ammonia kit is good to check your tank after a disturbance (like this), a death, or just starting a new tank.

I have supplements for the corals and will likely feed them tomorrow as well...

Hold off on the supplements. First test a newly mixed batch of saltwater (this will provide your target values). Don't try to elevate any of the elements, just maintain them at the levels of your new saltwater. Don't dose anything that you aren't testing for (and tests below the original value).

Welp, little update here...

Decided to do a little water change, took a long time to figure out the ratios but I think I've figured out 1 cup of H2Ocean / 8L of RO gets almost perfect 1.025 salinity. I've also been perhaps making the classic mistake of trying to keep everything neat and clean...rearranging the rocks to create passageways and stirring everything up in the process. The fish and cleaner generally spend most time hiding in a cave in the back, until feeding time when everyone comes out. The goby is the most shy of all, he comes out periodically. I think some of the small snails have died in the move, I have empty shells where once I thought I had occupants.

I do have a smell I can't seem to shake, perhaps from all of the stirring. I clean the cup on the skimmer regularly, which is a bitch to keep quiet. I've tried to rearrange the filter setup that I inherited...lined the bottom of chamber 2 with floss and placed the chemipure bag down there too, which leaves me with the skimmer in chamber 1, a mish-mash in chamber 2, and just the sponge in chamber 3 with the pump. I'd like to do a mediabasket setup, just a matter of budget. Does the chemipure bag have to take up all of the flow path, or is just having it in the water flow enough? Also, I have a large bag of coral and rock pieces, is it beneficial to have these in the bottom of chamber 2?

I've replaced the stock fan in the HQI fixture with a 40mm replacement from a local computer hardware store. Works perfectly and is entirely quiet. The old stock fan was making a racket.

I've been manually rolling off the GBA, as the emerald crab seems totally disinterested in it. I think I see a tiny patch of aiptasia, which I know the previous owner had, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Next steps...pickup nitrate & ammonia test kits, start a testing regimen. Make sure everything is stable, then consider adding a some corals and fish....maybe a frogspawn and a bangaii. I may need to supplement the CUC, although the number of critters that come out at night and scatter from a flashlight is just insane.

Overall I could spend hours watching this tank, I find myself thinking about it at odd hours. I needed a hobby, and I think I've found one.

... and just the sponge in chamber 3 with the pump.

Sponges need to be rinsed regularly or they will become a biological filter. The live rock in the display should be your biological filter (and additional bio-filters are not needed and have the potential to raise nitrate levels).

Does the chemipure bag have to take up all of the flow path, or is just having it in the water flow enough?

Having it in good flow should be enough.

Also, I have a large bag of coral and rock pieces, is it beneficial to have these in the bottom of chamber 2?

Rubble will collect detritus and cause nutrient problems. You would be better off without these pieces in the back chambers.

• 2 weeks later...
heywooood

Updates & Questions:

I've moved things around a bit, removed some rock to create a better layout (at least visually) and white space in between structures. Added a torch coral, found a spot where the hammer used to be with moderate movement, seems to be doing well. Water changes are going well, I've perhaps slacked on my supplements (calcium, iodine, etc) however these are back in line now. I've noticed the beginnings of aiptasia, tried to treat it with Aiptasia-X but it didn't do the trick completely....something to work on. There is also an unidentified worm-like thing that seems to grow a brown tube along the rock....not sure if that's something to be concerned with or just another CUC member. It's ugly, so I would prefer to do away with it. Overall I'm happy with the setup, with one exception, which leads to my question....

My fish and cleaner shrimp hide all day. They have a perfect, large cave at the back behind the main rock, and only come out to eat or if they think it's feeding time. Otherwise the chromis is the only one to make an appearance. The snails do their thing, the crabs as well, and the sexy shrimp just roams around like a boss. The Goby, clown and cleaner are always hidden. So my question is: if I flip that main rock around, the hiding space goes away, will the fish and coral on that rock adapt, or is this somewhat cruel of me? The coral would have to re-orient a little, which I think they will (mushrooms, singulars, acropora). It's the fish I'm concerned about....suddenly losing their main hangout. Should I just let them hide or force some change? I'm considering adding either a Banggai or another Percula, which perhaps might alter the mood of the tank, however moving the rock will definitely force the issue.

So my question is: if I flip that main rock around, the hiding space goes away, will the fish and coral on that rock adapt, or is this somewhat cruel of me?

You've recently changed the rockwork. It might take some more time for the fish to become comfortable swimming out in the open.

Should I just let them hide or force some change? I'm considering adding either a Banggai or another Percula, which perhaps might alter the mood of the tank, however moving the rock will definitely force the issue.

If you get another clownfish of the same species, it will change it's swimming behavior. I'd be tempted to start there. If there is any question if it's an Ocellaris or Percula, post a picture and maybe we can help.

heywooood

As always sir, thanks.

I came home today to some carnage...something ripped out one of my hermit crabs and made a lunch of him. I'm suspecting the green emerald, but have no idea what went down.

Archived