inTank Media Baskets

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Nano Thread

NanoTopia

Ya at this point that's all I was looking to do. If I start getting nice colors and notice any type of positive enhancements I might try a full blown zeo system.

The Power Pack will yeild some good colors. I saw major color improvement in Zoa's as my sps with Phols Xtra. I've been dosing Acro Power and have seen a huge explosion of growth out of Zoa's and major improvements in LPS and sps colors.

I like I mentioned above,if you wanna try some stuff,I've got some left over stuff I'm not going to use,just shoot me a PM.

I've always said to use a 150 as a reactor,but Christine always advised other wise. But,it could work just as well,really. It beats paying $100-$200+ for a reactors.

The Nano Power Pack is nothing more than food essentially. Phols is REALLY good for getting some extra color out of corals.

It could work just not the optimum way to go. The small stones need to go in a mesh bag to prevent clogging and a ball valve needs to be inline to regulate flow. Manually shaking the stones daily would be a bit more difficult but again, possible. If you try it, post some pictures and comments as to how it works out, I would be interested in seeing the set up. :)

Im going to use a baggie from now on for small stones.

They plug up the holes in the bottom plate of my Vertex reactor. After a month it feels like its full of lead.

Thanks C.

• 2 weeks later...

Zeozym in the nano reef:

So I have used this a few times in the previous months and I felt my tank responded well to it. I was having mini cyno outbreaks and the zeozym seemed to have helped clear it up quickly as well as help my skimmer get more crud out of the tank and remove harmful substances.

The couple times I have used it were compliments from the funkateer who hooked me up with some sample doses. He bagged some up at his work and instructed me to shake the bag every 30mins or so for a pro 6-8hrs, then add contents of bag to the tank. In the bag he mixed X amount of zz and X amount of cs as a facilitator. Long story short, the few times I used it, I felt like I seen improvement in my tank and really wanted to buy some.

So I pick a jar up! :). I would like to dose this a few times a month to my tank but I need to convert the dosage down to my tanks volume of water.

The directions state to mix 1 level teaspoon per 250g per week or disolve separately for 6-8 hours advance in 0.5l tank water and then add directly to tank.

I'm a Lil confused.

Rather than just winging it and adding a pinch of zz and 1ml of cs to 1 cup tank water and mixing/shaking for 6-8hour before adding to tank. I thought I'd ask if anyone can help me convert the correct dosage for 24 actual gallons. Hope I'm making sense.

I'm sure I could wing it ad just use a Lil at a time and up the dosage if needed or desired but I'm slightly afraid of over dosing it, if that's even possible.

Funk are you around? Topia I know you see this. Lol. Some advice/ help please

Not sure exactly how I would convert this down.

1/8th teaspoon for 31 1/4G is quickly what I came up with? Does this sound correct?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

lol at your bottom comment.

I read the same thing today and wasn't sure if you were supposed to cut it down based on size or if that was the minimum dosage regardless of tank size not exceeding 250g.

I think you can't go wrong trying the 1/8th to start and seeing how that performs. It's only once a week anyways. You can always increase dosage each week until you get the response you are looking for.

Thank you^^^, it's like tank drano for sure. I have been dosing 1x a week but may switch to every other week. I mix 1/8tsp to 2 cups of tank water and add in 1.5ml of cs, then I shake in bag every 30 mind for 6-8hrs before putting into my tank, usually after lights out. It works very well from the results I have seen in my tank.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome read, great info full of do's and dont's. Although I'm not running a full zeovit system, I read a few things I can change to my system media wise and see if I can improve my corals health and appearance. Great read for sure. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

• Like 1

Awesome read, great info full of do's and dont's. Although I'm not running a full zeovit system, I read a few things I can change to my system media wise and see if I can improve my corals health and appearance. Great read for sure. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Your welcome, glad you found it informative :)

Are you using or considering the auto elements?

Awesome, thanks Christine. :)

Not at this time. :)

Even though Zeovit is not a good fit for my small nano, I enjoyed reading through your article. Very interesting to see the how's and why's of a method.

• Like 1

Even though Zeovit is not a good fit for my small nano, I enjoyed reading through your article. Very interesting to see the how's and why's of a method.

Nice article Christine. Very well laid out and informative.

Thanks guys, I am glad you found it informative and straight forward. My goal was to take the mystery out of ZEOvit and clarify the basics for people.

jedimasterben

A well-written article that explains the system quite a bit better than the awful guide from KZ.

I am surprised, however, that you left the fud about needle-wheel skimmers in it, should be removed from the guide unless there is published data to back up their claims.

(btw, there isn't any :) )

• Like 1

the more I read about zeovit, the more I want to try it out.

Prepare to become poor if you do :D

A well-written article that explains the system quite a bit better than the awful guide from KZ.

I am surprised, however, that you left the fud about needle-wheel skimmers in it, should be removed from the guide unless there is published data to back up their claims.

(btw, there isn't any :) )

I have found personally with my needle wheel skimmer , if I skim wet or over-skim my corals loose colour. No proof this is from loss of trace or other elements but I do see a correlation based on my experience. It may also be over-removal of nutrients and organics. As for potassium, I don't think potassium is being removed at any greater rate than any other element in the water, and this is likely minimal.

Much of the ZEOvit System is based on observation and experience by Thomas Pohl and thousands of other users. I use a needle wheel myself and as long as I skim dry my corals remain colourful. Just my experience. Overall, I believe the general reefing community is over-skimming their systems, and this is likely the number one reason some people cannot keep SPS corals healthy.

This thread is not intended to be a debate platform for the ZEOvit methodology.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/344885-korallen-zucht-zeovit-nano-thread/?p=4705536

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I have found personally with my needle wheel skimmer , if I skim wet or over-skim my corals loose colour. No proof this is from loss of trace or other elements but I do see a correlation based on my experience. It may also be over-removal of nutrients and organics. As for potassium, I don't think potassium is being removed at any greater rate than any other element in the water, and this is likely minimal.

Much of the ZEOvit System is based on observation and experience by Thomas Pohl and thousands of other users. I use a needle wheel myself and as long as I skim dry my corals remain colourful. Just my experience. Overall, I believe the general reefing community is over-skimming their systems, and this is likely the number one reason some people cannot keep SPS corals healthy.

This thread is not intended to be a debate platform for the ZEOvit methodology.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/344885-korallen-zucht-zeovit-nano-thread/?p=4705536

I understand, but you should also strive not to spread bad or misinformation. The claims by KZ to needle-wheel skimming are completely unfounded.

I understand, but you should also strive not to spread bad or misinformation. The claims by KZ to needle-wheel skimming are completely unfounded.

What I am spreading is my experience and opinion, people can choose to take my advice or not.

There has not been much scientific study done on the topic, this is the only article I have seen : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

Please be specific where I am spreading bad or misinformation Ben.

"Skimmer: A good skimmer is necessary for any reef tank however, you should not choose a skimmer that is grossly over-rated for your net water volume or planned livestock. Skimmers that are too large for your system tend to over strip the water, as a result corals will suffer. KZ recommends their Venturi driven skimmers, claiming it is more gentle on plankton and less likely to remove elements from the system. If you choose to use a needle wheel skimmer, as I do, make sure you are skimming dry. Skimming dry will minimize the removal of elements but will also minimize the removal of nutrients. To help solve this issue I recommend cleaning the skimmer neck regularly when skimming dry.

Potassium Test Kit: The specific zeolites used for the ZEOvit® System tend to deplete potassium (K) over time. For this reason it is necessary to monitor potassium levels regularly and maintain 380-400ppm with a potassium supplement like ZEOvit® K-Balance. Some people believe needle wheel skimmers also deplete potassium levels to some degree."

jedimasterben

Please be specific where I am spreading bad or misinformation Ben.

"Skimmer: A good skimmer is necessary for any reef tank however, you should not choose a skimmer that is grossly over-rated for your net water volume or planned livestock. Skimmers that are too large for your system tend to over strip the water, as a result corals will suffer. KZ recommends their Venturi driven skimmers, claiming it is more gentle on plankton and less likely to remove elements from the system. If you choose to use a needle wheel skimmer, as I do, make sure you are skimming dry. Skimming dry will minimize the removal of elements but will also minimize the removal of nutrients. To help solve this issue I recommend cleaning the skimmer neck regularly when skimming dry.

Potassium Test Kit: The specific zeolites used for the ZEOvit® System tend to deplete potassium (K) over time. For this reason it is necessary to monitor potassium levels regularly and maintain 380-400ppm with a potassium supplement like ZEOvit® K-Balance. Some people believe needle wheel skimmers also deplete potassium levels to some degree."

The misinformation is not so much that KZ says these things (as that is true), but the fact that what they are actually saying is false is. :)

Here is a discussion on that subject, with a chemist: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/84034-zeovit-discussion-skimmer-thread-3.html#post823746 Boomer has a few more posts after that speaking on the same subject. Protein skimmers of any design cannot selectively remove potassium or anything else from the water - it's all or nothing, the only thing different (and is shown in a couple other Advanced Aquarist articles on protein skimmers) is how aggressively the skimmer is set to run and how large it is. Obviously a larger skimmer will remove TOC and particulate matter faster, but the way in which is does so is irrelevant. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2 http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

I don't find it a coincidence that Korallen-Zucht makes no mention of their Zeolite stones selectively adsorbing potassium in their Zeovit guide yet claim that needle-wheel skimmers selectively remove it, all the while recommending and selling venturi skimmers, but that is for another thread. :)

:excl:NOT a place for debate on the methodology itself or trolling!

relax Ben. We all know you have an immense passion to share literal/objective information. just follow the thread's rules as indicated by the OP...

:)

• Like 1

Ben, settle down.

If you read the article I wrote carefully, you will see I mention, "...KZ recommends" , this is a fact.

You will also see that I say, "Some people believe", this is also a fact.

And if I had more time for you, I would love to hear you argue that skimming wet doesn't remove more organics and elements from the system, but I don't so have a nice day as you are starting to sound "troll-like" here.

You are not a believer in the ZEOvit method, that's really okay with me. But, as I stated in the first post of this thread, this is not the place to debate the method in general, which I believe you are doing. Please start another thread.