SaltCritters.com

Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Nano Thread

NanoTopia

Mr. Microscope

Laziness, first and foremost lol. Beyond that, a stock solution would still be very weak and would need significant dosing to be effective at raising K. I'm using Brightwell Potassion-, and the stock solution is 5g per 236mL, which raises K by 1.7ppm in 1 gallon of water for every mL of solution. I have around 90g volume, so it would take gallons of stock solution to do what I need to do. Each gram of the dry powder increases K by 129ppm in one gallon of water, and a tablespoon is around 5g.

First dose was five tablespoons on Saturday night, and three tablespoons Monday night. I believe there are 17g per tablespoon of this solution (I can't remember offhand, I have it written down at home), so the first dose should have increased K by around 121ppm, the second by an additional 75ppm.

I'm thinking about mixing up something more along the lines of saturation levels. KCl = 344g/L @20C, K2SO4 = 111g/L @20C. Though I may make something based on more on percentage and ppm like you linked to here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16630299&postcount=16

Yes, the standard Salifert kit. Adding the first reagent was fine, but I added the second and something precipitated and turned the water into thick milk.

I think it's supposed to do that. As you add K3, it's resuspends the precipitate untill enough has been eaten up to turn the sample blue. At least, that's what I observed.

Brightwell states:

"Create a stock solution by dissolving 5 grams (~2 teaspoons) of Potassion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase the potassium concentration (“[K+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 1.7 ppm."

If you followed this then in 90 gallons net water, each mL will increase potassium by 0.0189ppm. So if you dosed 100mL of solution would would have increased potassium in 90 gallons by 1.889ppm only (say 2ppm to round it off). To raise your potassium by 121ppm you would have to dose ~6.5L (6500mL) of stock solution at one time.

You say you dosed 5 tablespoons (75mL) or ~37.5g of powder would yield ~1.8L of stock solution, which would raise your potassium by ~34ppm... theoretically.

If CV hasn't been refrigerated, since it never mentioned to on bottle, is it now trash?

Just put it in the fridge now, should be fine.

Yes, the standard Salifert kit. Adding the first reagent was fine, but I added the second and something precipitated and turned the water into thick milk.

The Salifert Potassium kit is not that accurate, my guess is +/- 20% if you are diluting the sample 50/50. With the 1mL sample pure the error is +/-10%. When you are talking about aiming for >600ppm and a diluted sample for example, thats a BIG margin of error IMO.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Brightwell states:

"Create a stock solution by dissolving 5 grams (~2 teaspoons) of Potassion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase the potassium concentration (“[K+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 1.7 ppm."

If you followed this then in 90 gallons net water, each mL will increase potassium by 0.0189ppm. So if you dosed 100mL of solution would would have increased potassium in 90 gallons by 1.889ppm only (say 2ppm to round it off). To raise your potassium by 121ppm you would have to dose ~6.5L (6500mL) of stock solution at one time.

You say you dosed 5 tablespoons (75mL) or ~37.5g of powder would yield ~1.8L of stock solution, which would raise your potassium by ~34ppm... theoretically.

Maybe my scale was off. And I thought going by the weight was the best way to go about it lol. I will dose more tonight just to see what the effects of such a large dose will do :)

I think it's supposed to do that. As you add K3, it's resuspends the precipitate untill enough has been eaten up to turn the sample blue. At least, that's what I observed.

I added 40 drops of K3 and the color never changed, but it was too milky to have known, really. :/

But, since I didn't raise it up by nearly as much as I thought, I should be able to try a straight reading today and see what happens.

The Salifert Potassium kit is not that accurate, my guess is +/- 20% if you are diluting the sample 50/50. With the 1mL sample pure the error is +/-10%. When you are talking about aiming for >600ppm and a diluted sample for example, thats a BIG margin of error IMO.

I've asked Justin Credabel what he is using to test high range, haven't heard back yet.

• Like 2

Thanks nano. It's leftover from a nano pack I got maybe 6 months ago. The sponge power and cv last a lot longer than the other 2 in the kit.

I know I asked once about converting but since I don't want to remove my sandbed, and don't have room in my

Sump for a reactor, all zeo reactors I seen are in sump and 1-5L and bigger, which zeo products could I add to my system. Right now it's a mixed reef, I just switched to Reef crystals, dose esv 2 part, dose acro power and a once a week light dose of kent lugols solution. Everything has colored up great so

Maybe I shouldn't add more. But seeing there zeo tanks makes me want to start tinkering.

Even considering a small sps only bb zeo tank, but I think a sump would be

Pretty standard with the reactor and all, so the im 20 I was looking at wouldn't do.

Mr. Microscope

The syringe that came with the kit looks fairly accurate. I used exactly 500uL of tank water and 500uL of RODI. I'd think it should be just as accurate as measuring pure tank water. Though, I have no idea how accurate the test is. Good point..
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Hmmm, still quite a bit of room for error with such a small sample. Could you use 1mL of tank water and 1mL of RODI?

I could, though the directions are for 1mL sample water. I could double the rest of the reagents, but that would mean using up double reagents.
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

Just put in 15 tablespoons. We'll see what happens :)

Though I doubt I'll see anything too horrible. I have two pieces of SPS, one of which I have little hope for, it seems to be an Ostreopsis target. The rest of the tank is soft corals, gorgonians, anemones, and sponges.

• Like 1

Just put in 15 tablespoons. We'll see what happens :)

Though I doubt I'll see anything too horrible. I have two pieces of SPS, one of which I have little hope for, it seems to be an Ostreopsis target. The rest of the tank is soft corals, gorgonians, anemones, and sponges.

Ben,

That's crazy, 15 tbs, that is ~100ppm in your tank.

Although I have not witnessed it personally, every thing I have read over the years from other peoples experiences has shown that increasing K at that rate will burn the tips of SPS. I am watching your experience closely Ben, very interested. If you don't have burnt tips from this kind of dosing I will be baffled :)

What are your nutrient levels like at the moment (PO4/NO3)?

What ppm of K are you at now, if you know?

jedimasterben

Ben,

That's crazy, 15 tbs, that is ~100ppm in your tank.

Although I have not witnessed it personally, every thing I have read over the years from other peoples experiences has shown that increasing K at that rate will burn the tips of SPS. I am watching your experience closely Ben, very interested. If you don't have burnt tips from this kind of dosing I will be baffled :)

What are your nutrient levels like at the moment (PO4/NO3)?

What ppm of K are you at now, if you know?

Like I said, we'll see what happens. I don't have but two sticks,one of which would be limping if it could move lol. The other is good, though.

I have no clue what nutrients are right now. I've been trying to feed a lot lately, so I'd assume they're at least detectable. I did drop a bag of Phosguard into the sump recently, though, so phosphate should be very low.

And I don't know of my K levels right now. Tried the test again the same way I did it yesterday with the same results, milk water and 40 drops of the third reagent. :/

• Like 1

I could, though the directions are for 1mL sample water. I could double the rest of the reagents, but that would mean using up double reagents.

Yup, I have the kit, I am not sure how this would effect the test, and yes I believe you would have to double the first two chemicals but the titrant should be the same, then you would double the result. I just confused myself, LOL.

I might just try it here at home later, curious :)

I also have a RedSea K Kit, I am going to have a look at that and see if it can be done.

Maybe just email Habib at Salifert, sure he could advise.

I will admit, I still think pushing potassium to these levels is toxic to at least some organisms or at very least stressful. Ben seems to be going for the 800ppm mark so I will watch what happens there, and with you if you go higher than 500ppm.

So if you can push K to double NSW levels then why not Ca as well?

I see a greater risk of ion imbalance with all this dosing, do you think it is of any consideration?

I'm sticking to 420ppm in my ULNS for now, but I may push K up in the 7 gallon higher as well. Let you guys be the ginny-pigs for this one, LOL ;)

• Like 2
jedimasterben

So if you can push K to double NSW levels then why not Ca as well?

Many of the 'Blu coral' tanks run their calcium 550-600, alk 14-16dKH, and mag 1800-2000ppm. Combined with high light, extreme flow, and immense amounts of foods it doesn't seem that there is a true 'upper limit'.

• Like 2

Maybe mix up a solution of 1ml of sample water to 1ml of rodi to get a more accurate solution, then only use 1ml of that solution to do your test.

jedimasterben

About 24 hours post massive K dose now. My hermit and porcelain crabs are dead, and Cerith, Nassarius, Astrea, and Stomatella snails are all laying on the sandbed, alive, but mad. My Heteractis magnifica anemone is a bit perturbed, like it looks when I've been prodding it for a sustained amount of time. My brittle star is chillin out outside of his rockwork house and has pulled part of an arm off that has wandered to the other side of the tank. I've seen extreme amphipod death or molting, to be perfectly honest I cannot tell, all the amphipods I've had in this tank have always been basically clear.

All other life in the tank (gorgonians, leathers, palythoa, zoanthids, maxi mini anemones, ricordea, acorpora, A. echinata, all look the same as yesterday. Curious that my 'nano conch' Euplica scripta, a 'whelkish' snail, are unaffected and cruising the tank like normal.

EDIT:

Relayed my findings to my wife (who is a registered nurse) and she was like well no shit, potassium burns! It's difficult to give any kind of potassium through IV because it burns. Interesting.

• Like 2

About 24 hours post massive K dose now. My hermit and porcelain crabs are dead, and Cerith, Nassarius, Astrea, and Stomatella snails are all laying on the sandbed, alive, but mad. My Heteractis magnifica anemone is a bit perturbed, like it looks when I've been prodding it for a sustained amount of time. My brittle star is chillin out outside of his rockwork house and has pulled part of an arm off that has wandered to the other side of the tank. I've seen extreme amphipod death or molting, to be perfectly honest I cannot tell, all the amphipods I've had in this tank have always been basically clear.

All other life in the tank (gorgonians, leathers, palythoa, zoanthids, maxi mini anemones, ricordea, acorpora, A. echinata, all look the same as yesterday. Curious that my 'nano conch' Euplica scripta, a 'whelkish' snail, are unaffected and cruising the tank like normal.

EDIT:

Relayed my findings to my wife (who is a registered nurse) and she was like well no shit, potassium burns! It's difficult to give any kind of potassium through IV because it burns. Interesting.

Dam, I am not surprised though at some of the reactions, I suspect you may see something negative happen with the Acropora in the next couple of days, but I really hope not. Potassium is very ionically charged, it's how they kill inmates sentenced to death, potassium chloride.

Any idea what your K level is in the tank now?

Thanks for the update Ben, keep us posted :mellow:

jedimasterben

Dam, I am not surprised though at some of the reactions, I suspect you may see something negative happen with the Acropora in the next couple of days, but I really hope not. Potassium is very ionically charged, it's how they kill inmates sentenced to death, potassium chloride.

Any idea what your K level is in the tank now?

I figured that levels should have been somewhere near the 400ppm mark, as I'd done two 30 gallon water changes over the past month and a halfish, and I've added ~156ppm (23 tablespoons total), so somewhere around 550ppmish is my guess. I'll attempt the test again later.

Thanks for the update Ben, keep us posted :mellow:

Sure will.

Im getting ready to re-setup my IM 30L and plan on going full Zeo. Will the IM Desktop reactor work ok for the stones ? The flow is 52GPH and it would be easy to shake. If not any reccomendation for a HOB or one that will work in the 30L chambers ? Thanks!

http://innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/mini-max.html'>http://innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/mini-max.html

any input ?

any input ?

I am not recommending the IM reactor for use with zeolites.

If space is an issue I would have a look at the Avast auto reactor as a possibility. There are no HOB zee-reactors I know of that I could recommend. Stirring the stones daily is imperative for the system to work as is flow rate through the reactor.

jedimasterben

Well, it looks like only some snails and crabs were killed in the great potassium dose of 2014. Unfortunately the one that hit hardest was my hawkwing conch, who I've had for just over two years :(

All corals and anemones are ok, as are most snails.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Ok, so, since I'm home sick today, I just made sure my gram scale was calibrated. Capacity is 100g, and I have calibration weights at 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g, and 100g, and it read within 0.02 of each.

One level tablespoon is exactly 15.1 grams. If one gram raises one gallon by 129ppm, then for 90g volume, one tablespoon will raise K by 21.64ppm. 15x tablespoons is 324ppm. Hmm. Well.

• Like 1

Ok, so, since I'm home sick today, I just made sure my gram scale was calibrated. Capacity is 100g, and I have calibration weights at 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g, and 100g, and it read within 0.02 of each.

One level tablespoon is exactly 15.1 grams. If one gram raises one gallon by 129ppm, then for 90g volume, one tablespoon will raise K by 21.64ppm. 15x tablespoons is 324ppm. Hmm. Well.

So you should be in the 600-700ppm range now?

Any other changes in the reef worth noting?