ReefCleaners.org

5.5 gallon lighting system

Dr.Brain Coral

Dr.Brain Coral

hello i am starting a 5.5 pico with built in refugium and i am looking at lights. i do not have a lot of money to spend on this so any systems that would work

How much money? DIY... NanoBox Tide... Coral Compulsion Par30 bulbs... There are lots of options and it depends on what you want to keep.

Dr.Brain Coral

mostly just zoas it will be a mantis tank so not a lot of corals. my budget is about 250 to 300. i am basing it of of a tank i saw that i instantly fell in love with

250-300 for the light is a great budget, but for a mantis there are a lot of people who have had issues with light and shell rot. Ask IsleofTiki and 1stTimeReefer about the light... For that budget, I'd say NanoBox Tide from Dave Fason, but I don't know if that would be ok for the mantis?

Dr.Brain Coral

ya a light would be okay for the mantis i am getting. it is a wennerae mantis and i have read they do fine with lights.

i am sorry i meant i have a overall budget of 300. i ahve scoped out and for the equipment minus the light it would be 100. 100 for the live stock and 100 or a little more for the light.

If you only have 100 for a light, Coral Compulsion 14W Par30 bulb with 90 degree optics and a desk lamp fixture with the lamp shade removed. 60 bucks for the light, 20 for the fixture. Done.

Archived