Pod Your Reef

florida live rock

MOJOEJOEJOE

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MOJOEJOEJOE

I just got an update for my rock and it looks like its out for delivery. It should be at my house today. The only problem is that no one is home right now. If it sits out in 55~60 deg weather for a few hours will that destry it? I wish the tracking was updated because I could have made sure some one was there to bring it in. Im stuck at work and can not get home.

MOJOEJOEJOE

Im sure the quality of the rock will more than make up for it LOL. My wife is on her way home so hopefully the mail will get there when she does. Ill post some pics later.

MOJOEJOEJOE

No pictures yet. The rock looks good has lots of life. It's going to take a few days to get a feel for what's on it. 2 hitch hikers so far, a weird looking snail with a red shell and a hermit crab. I found a small crab that died and have seen a bunch of bristle worms. No corals or clans that I can see but a bunch of macro and different shades of coralline . I'm sure in a day or 2 things will start showing up. I did a light dip and put the rock in and my tank got real murky as expected. No real chance to any dirt of arrangement in rock placement yet. But over all I'm pleased so far.

gulfsurfer101
MOJOEJOEJOE

when I first viewed it I thought it was a Stomatella but Im not 100% sure. As far as the worm, I counted 4 different types but cant I.D any of them LOL. The real cool thing about live rock is the fact that 2 months from now I will see some things I had no clue were there.

gulfsurfer101

Try two years. I still have a tiny amount left in my current 75g with different things I'll notice from time to time.

I have moved some of this rock from natural sunlight to LED and within a month observe emerging Dragons Breath. It is the cats mew.

Patrick

MOJOEJOEJOE

I'm sitting about 10 feet away looking at my tank. My wife asked me why I keep looking at her. I could not break it to her that I'm actually looking at my tank so as a wise experienced married man I simply said " because your hot". Translated move out of the way of my tank. Serious though this rock is great and 10 lbs may be a bit too much for this tank. I might give some to my brother.

pop up or just saw it? with a stony core you would think it didn't just move there. Blasto would be a good guess. Majano/Aptasia was my first thought as well.

MOJOEJOEJOE

Just saw the sweepers for the first time. My wife actually spotted the stony look of what we thought was a coral. This morning I noticed that when I dimmed the lights the sweepers came out. Its deff some sort of stony just not sure what.

There are also a few real small leathers, 2 or 3 clams, and there could be a mantis because every now and then i can hear some clicking on my glass LOL. I have not seen it yet so im not sure.

Mantis beat on the rock, it just sounds like the glass. the can be very hard to find if they do not want to be seen. I see mine a few times a week if it's not molting.

gulfsurfer101

If you Google Florida cup coral, you will find eddy you have along wuth a bunch of suncoral. Just scroll through the pics and you'll find your match. I had a ton of them too. You can see the skeleton of one on the upper right corner of the first pic I posted.

latest thing to pop up this morning....Not sure what it is

attachicon.gifIMG_4574_.jpg

Hidden cup coral. The oral disc will glow green under actinics. It is NPS but you don't have to target feed, they are great at catching food themselves.

Here's one of mine

IMG_20111116_203639.jpg

Live rock is surprise rock, I didn't get it from this company but Sealife Inc and 6 mos later I'm still finding new things. You just can't go wrong w/ live uncured rock.

Archived