Innovative Marine Aquariums

Assistance Request: Acrylic Tank Seam Gaps

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Hi All,

I'm considering setting up my 18 x 18 x 18 acrylic tank again so I pulled it out of the shed last night and gave it a vinegar bath. While inspecting the tank I noticed that there are small areas in some of the seams where it looks like there may be few small pyramid shaped gaps (approx 1/8") that begin either in the middle of the seam and widen toward the outside of the tank. However, there doesn't appear to be a visibly noticeable gap between to the 2 pieces of acrylic.

I remember seeing a couple of these on the top of the tank while it was set up 8 years ago, but didn't really think much about it. Now that I've had a chance to get a thorough review of the tank after the cleaning, I see that there are a few in the seams around the bottom as well.

I've tried searching this forum and you tube for a few different things but can't see to find anyone attempting to repair something like this. Maybe it's nothing, but before I bother doing a leak test I wanted to determine if I need to Weld-On these small gaps and if so, would like to find a video or picture guide that provides direction since this is the first time I would be doing something like this.

If anyone can help with additional search keywords or direct me to a YouTube video I would appreciate it. I've searched: Acrylic Seam Gap; Acrylic Tank Restoration; Acrylic Tank Seam Repair and a few others but the only videos I find are people repair actual cracks or removing scratches.

I will post pictures shortly.

Edit: Pics

IMG_1540_zpsefe887a5.jpg

Sorry this one is blurry but wanted to post to get an idea of the top down view

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/JavaJacketOC/media/889444f4-c643-40bd-b097-347560e11c4a_zpse3144f19.jpg.html'>889444f4-c643-40bd-b097-347560e11c4a_zps

I think you can use the thick weldon and it will create a permanent seal for thicker gaps. You may need to lie the tank in a way that it won't run out of the gap though, maybe on parchment paper or something similar.

JavaJacketOC

I think you can use the thick weldon and it will create a permanent seal for thicker gaps. You may need to lie the tank in a way that it won't run out of the gap though, maybe on parchment paper or something similar.

I'm not sure if there is actually a gap, and even though it's wide while looking down on it, there doesn't appear to be any gap between the actual acrylic pieces, so I'm not sure if this is natural aging of acrylic or if the seams are actually starting to separate slightly.

If it's like a hairline such as on the corner joint, you want the really thin weldon and a syringe. The weldon will get pulled into the crack via capillary action. I fixed an acrylic tank where the seam was splitting this way.

JavaJacketOC

If it's like a hairline such as on the corner joint, you want the really thin weldon and a syringe. The weldon will get pulled into the crack via capillary action. I fixed an acrylic tank where the seam was splitting this way.

Thank you for the feedback. In review of other threads as well as some videos, it looks like Weld-On 3 or 4 with the needle tip applicator would be ideal. Does anyone disagree?

• 2 weeks later...
JavaJacketOC

Bumping this thread. I received weld-on 4 today and did a test application to one of the possible gaps and there no capillary action occurred. I attempted the process on both sides of the seams but didn't notice any change in the discoloration.

Does anyone have any additional input on how to correct these areas in the seams? Or should I even worry at all?

I did a leak test and didn't identify any leaks, should I just not bother?

JavaJacketOC

As follow up, I called Clear for Life (now known as Advance Aqua Tanks) and was told to send some photos to their email address. After doing so, the response I got was a suggestion to blue triangle brackets the length of the seam since there was a possibility that the tank could leak if the blotch took up more than 1/2 of the seam.

Unfortunately this will most likely cause the applied areas to look odd, although if it's under the sand bed and other inconspicuous spots, it may not be noticeable at all. All things considered, I may just leak test the tank for several days and see what happens.

Archived