inTank Media Baskets

What to run in HOB

Ruckus16

I tried searching but the search doesnt accept "HOB".

I have a 6 gallon. It just finished cycling. Big diatom bloom thats sticking around even after multiple weekly water changes. Currently I have a sponge, ceramic rings and filter floss in my HOB. I am going to remove the sponge and ceramic rings.

I'm experiencing a lot of particles in my water column and the filter floss keeps browning up/clogging within 12hrs or so. Keep running it until it collects everything?

I have been reading about purigen and chemi pure elite. Should I run both or just one? Which is prefered? Also how much should I put in at one time?

skyscraper2290

Have you got a CUC yet? It will definitely help with the diatom blood, you could add some chemipure and that could possibly help. I would try to put a couple separate pieces of filter floss in there and set it up so you are replacing one piece every other week or something, would think it would help minimize the amount of particles floating around the tank. I always have a couple pieces of filter floss in my media rack and it seems to do the job pretty well and I only have to change out 1 piece every two weeks or so. Also a great thing to use if you need to seed a QT tank.

wow.such.chris

Diatom blooms can be caused by soluble silica in your water. Chemipure is carbon and GFO, carbon is used to increase water clarity. It removes large molecules (mainly meant for pigments or toxins). GFO is mainly used to reduce phosphates but I've read it does help with silica. Purigen is meant to remove nitrogenous wastes but again probably will take out metals as well.

I would just wait it out. Personally I would run GFO in a phosban reactor regardless of a problem, wish I would've done this from the start.

I'd run floss/purigen/floss/chemipure elite

Chances are your rock had quite a bit of die off, I'm assuming you don't have any bioload.

From a post by StevieT that I came across yesterday, he recommended (for a 10g reef) that you can run filter floss and chemi pure and be set. I think that's what I'm planning on doing when I get my tank setup. Maybe some purigen as well.

Archived