Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Reef Tank 10G

naavt

Hi all,

I've transferred my little freshwater tank for my recent newborn child bedroom and took the plunge and bought a AquaOne Nano 36 Reef Tank.

Bought some sand, a couple of dead rocks and a live one to colonise the others. Now it's living in my living room for a couple of weeks as it is, expecting it to settle for a couple of weeks more, analyse water quality and go from there.

The reason why I'm writing this is because I find the tank too noisy! My old freshwater tank filtration is dead silent compared to this Aquaone. I know that the old one doesn't have skimmers and all the complex filtration system this new one has but somehow I'm feeling that it's going to be hard to accustom to this kind of noise in the living room, or is my tank faulty in any way?

It lives on the furtherest side of the living room and I can clearly hear it on my kitchen which sits on another division some 6 or 7 metres away!

I also ask this question here since the tank isn't sold in my country. I bought it from an internet seller and I have no means whatsoever to compare it against a similar model.

Any advise regarding this would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quite often the noise is just something rattling against something else.

It is worth giving it the once over as it may be something simple. Things like heaters or pumps touch glass or other objects, something rattling in the lights, air pumps touching things, etc.

You should be able to get used to a moderate noise level, but yours does seem loud.

Thanks for replying. The filter system goes out from the tank as a whole. I'll try to see if any pump (the only moving parts) are in contact with any surface that can produce that noise.

If any forum member has an identical system I'll be glad to ear his/her experience regarding this issue.

Bumping this thread.

Been searching a lot for some information about my tank and it seems that the noise is a common issue with it since many owners complain about the same.

I've tried to disconnect all the plugs (one at a time), to find what is making such a noise and the worst scenario is from the return pump.

The original one is this:

http://www.aquarium-parts.co.uk/aquanano-36-spares/aqua-one-replacement-return-pump-for-aquanano-36.html

I've been digging for some information on a quieter pump and many rave about Eheim pumps so I'm willing to invest in one just to stop this annoying noise.

Can anyone suggest the best size? Compact 1000? What about fitting? How can I tell if it is a simple switchover job without messing with all the HOB filter pipes?

Thanks

Archived