Top Shelf Aquatics

Green hair algae

C3relac

Hello i start my tank 5 months ago since February I'm struggling whit gha i bought a lawnmower bleeny and he only heat the film on my glass and like nori so gha is a no no to him, what my options:

cure all of my rock and start again?

right now i reduce my light period to 5 hours.

in last 15 days my tank as became in bad way since i was away i'm my honeymoon :)

or i have another step to take.

I'm gonna remove my sand cause of diatoms brown algae.

I don't know what to do. I feed my fish 3 of them 1 time per 2 days my test NO3 and PO4 are bout zero so my nutrients must come from my sand or my rock.

I'm waiting for my new led to be delivered to remove my top and change my skimmer to a tunze 9002 or a bubble magus qq.

One of my steps is buy a new powerhead a jebao wp10 to make beter flow.

Your nutrients test zero because the GHA is using up whats available int the water column before it builds up so it can be tested.

What size tank and what inhabitants?

Leave the sand in the diatoms are feeding other little things in your tank. Lawnmower blennies eat more film algae than hair algae. BTW a lawnmower blenny has a bigger bioload than most fish his size. To me your tank is going through regular growing pains. If you are using dry food you might want to consider frozen food, I use LRF that is readily available in my local area you might have another local brand that is easy to get. If you remove your sand bed you MIGHT experience another full cycle my friend removed his and he had all sorts of stuff happening after that.

Thanks for you reply guys so I will leave it like it is only water change every week till its gone my question is if do I need siphon the sand or leave it alone.

You may want to provide some more details so we can assist, as previously requested.

What size tank?

How much LIve Rock?

Where did the Live Rock come from?

How deep is the sand bed?

What kind of sand is it?

Is the tank exposed to natural sunlight?

What kind of artificial tank lighting do you have?

How many fish and what kinds?

What kind of cleaner crew?

How much GPH flow do you currently have in the tank? or list all pumps/powerheads in the system.

Do you use tap water or RO/DI for salt mixing?

Do you use tap water or RO/DI for topping off?

Please list all water parameter test results you have done:

wow.such.chris

Increase water changes with RODI, reduce light and feeding IF POSSIBLE, run GFO preferably in a reactor.

Hello everybody!!!

i use ro\di water i got a 30g with 13 pounds of live rock.(i got more 5 cycling in ro\di water till po4 is zero)

half of a inch of sand. its a 1 millimeter size i don't know if sugar size is small but i'm consider to change to sugar size.

a turnover of 700g\h( i will buy a jebaowp10)

the light is a 2x24 pl light(waiting my led to arrive in may its a group buy).

i got 3 fishes 2 clowns and a lawnmower bleeny.

the positive side of this is that my corals lps are happy.

Pics would be good.

H2O2 does a good job of killing GHA. You still need a mechanism of removal;, dead GHA releases all the nutrients to feed GHA.

Increase water changes.

Decrease feeding.

Do you clean the sand?

Not anymore when i started the tank i clean my sand every week but it release many remains in last weeks and i thought it was bad to my problem.

So my las month i didn't clean my sand should i began clean it again?

Sorry my lack of English.

So i might began do water change of 10% every 2 or 3 days is this helpful?

I would clean the sand if it isn't a deep sand bed. Just vac out the nastys and change the filter after the water clears. If there is a lot then do just part of the sand with each WC.

• 4 months later...

Hello.

Two weeks ago I started using vodka, not on me but in the tank my clown love it :P

I got my led ocean revive and bought two sps frags. Here a picture of one.

http://s990.photobucket.com/user/analuciadacosta3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08-25%2013.29.43_zpscolhzjc3.jpg.html'>2014-08-25%2013.29.43_zpscolhzjc3.jpg

You can see some gha but it's almost gone.

http://s990.photobucket.com/user/analuciadacosta3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08-25%2013.29.47_zpsu2ptas0m.jpg.html'>2014-08-25%2013.29.47_zpsu2ptas0m.jpg

Archived