Coral Vue Hydros

REAL OR A KNOCK OFF?

MOJOEJOEJOE

Looks like typical Asian font which is suspect, but I really have no idea.

There are so many different ways to get Crees conventionally, that there is no point taking a chance on eBay. Counterfeits are rampant in electronics, it is much easier for them to trick the consumer. It takes a while to find an eBayer with legitimate looking stock, even then you can't be sure that they didn't get fooled.

http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Where-to-Buy

knock off or not its going to do the same exact thing as if its not a knock off. give off tons of light and grow coral. So whats the big deal. I think its pretty retarded people get all panties in a bunch over things like this. It will work just fine either way.

jedimasterben

knock off or not its going to do the same exact thing as if its not a knock off. give off tons of light and grow coral. So whats the big deal. I think its pretty retarded people get all panties in a bunch over things like this. It will work just fine either way.

If you understood how all this stuff works, you would understand that comparing knockoff diodes to genuine they are most certainly far from 'the same exact thing.'

Ebay, Asian-sources, and Cree don't mix.

jedimasterben

Fantastic - and so will a warm white CFL from Home Depot, and those are even cheaper, so I guess we should all just use those, instead?

LOL now your just trying to act like a snippy little ass. no one is comparing something like that but go ahead and keep standing on your little LED soap box about only thing you suggest will work

05X - you seem to consistently have issues when others disagree with you, and Ben is right - this is a terrestrial grow light (4B:4G:4R:4CW:4WW) - putting this over a reef aquarium will result in a ######-looking tank, but may indeed grow corals, but since the OP asked if it was legit Cree or not (I would not bet my money on it), this doesn't matter now does it?

jedimasterben

LOL now your just trying to act like a snippy little ass. no one is comparing something like that but go ahead and keep standing on your little LED soap box about only thing you suggest will work

So do you have any data to back up your claims, or do you always just revert to being a 'snippy little ass' when someone that knows a thing or three about the subject corrects you?

05X - you seem to consistently have issues when others disagree with you, and Ben is right - this is a terrestrial grow light (4B:4G:4R:4CW:4WW) - putting this over a reef aquarium will result in a ######-looking tank, but may indeed grow corals, but since the OP asked if it was legit Cree or not (I would not bet my money on it), this doesn't matter now does it?

I actually can't even see the link that the OP posted, ebay is firewalled. I'm just chiming in that if it's on Ebay, comes from anywhere in Asia, and says 'Cree' anywhere in the description or the ad, that it is almost certainly a knockoff.

And actually, it will certainly grow corals, and if the intensity is there it will grow them really well, it'll just make everything look turd brown :D

And actually, it will certainly grow corals, and if the intensity is there it will grow them really well, it'll just make everything look turd brown :D

I guess I never assume the light is the only factor in play, but also consider the ability (or lack of) on the part of the aquarist, hence the inclusion of "may"... ;)

MOJOEJOEJOE

I have used China made led`s in the past with great success. As a matter of fact I have defended them many times over and probably pissed people off. IMO cree`s do seem to be better as far as heat and efficiency. The China led`s have a better value simply based off of cost to get started. Im asking if they are genuine Cree simply because of heat. That was my biggest challenge with China led`s Thermal management became sort of a task to work out. Anyway this would be a hell of a deal if they were genuine Cree led`s.

BTW quality is defined as "conformace to requirements". The requirements part is what drives what true quality is not bin selection or actual measured spectrum. If the part conformes to your requirements it is a quality product. That same quality product may be absolute garbage to someone else.

The OP's original question wasn't whether this thing will grow coral, it might but with these generic ass specs it's hard to say how well. And going back to the OP's original question, I would bet everything I own that this thing isn't authentic, $35.25 w/free shipping for an actual CREE LED puck, come on now.

Paleoreef103

Well it uses Xp-e crees from unspecified bins. Not xp-e2, not xt-e, not even xp-g for the whites. Xp-e crees were hot in 2010. 4 year old surplus diodes might explain the price if it is legitimate. I'm not really knocking Xp-e diodes. I use them over my tank because my light was built before the xt-e line came out. They're honestly not going to be much more efficient than modern "bridgelux" chinese diodes, however.

That might be the case, even still they are probably real low quality bins if that's the case. With that said, I have a chinese light over my g/f's tank and everything is so far so good. Definitely not my first choice, but I didn't pay anything for it.

MOJOEJOEJOE

attachicon.gifaaa.jpgHehehe, people arguing LED's with Jediben and zooman..... **Facepalm*** :lol:

no argument this time just simply asking a question. watch out for that facepalm you might hurt yourself.....

Steensj2004

no argument this time just simply asking a question. watch out for that facepalm you might hurt yourself.....

I was refering to someone else, not you. Lol

Paleoreef103

Might work for a fuge light, but would be horrible color rendering for a reef.

Not necessarily color rendering so much as actually activating the fluorescent and non-fluorescent proteins that can make corals so colorful. But yes, it'd make your tank look like a yellow tinted box with brown corals.

For the record, I do not think they are true crees, but they could have started out as bargain basement bin, 4 year old surplus crees and got a cheap chinese phosphore on the whites.

I am sorry to detract from the thread by going off topic, but I just want to take a moment to say how disappointed it makes me to see members treating each other so poorly on this forum.

We are always bound to have some difference in opinion; regardless, we should treat each other with respect.

In my experience, those who jump to rude behavior and insults are those who have no leg to stand on in an argument. Show your intelligence, people! Not your egos...

I am sorry to detract from the thread by going off topic, but I just want to take a moment to say how disappointed it makes me to see members treating each other so poorly on this forum.

We are always bound to have some difference in opinion; regardless, we should treat each other with respect.

In my experience, those who jump to rude behavior and insults are those who have no leg to stand on in an argument. Show your intelligence, people! Not your egos...

Its really only that one troll.

And the admins are content to tolerate his bad behavior.

Maybe its Chris Mark's alt to drum up controversy and hits.

Nanofreak79

The light looks light a shitty light to me. I like NR because it's not heavily moderated, and folks don't get bent or butt hurt when you speak your mind.

Edit: some do....

Archived