Top Shelf Aquatics

Biocube 29 sump turnover rate

syntax_error

syntax_error

Hi,

I've been thinking of drilling my biocube to add a sump. I've seen people use the 700 GPH overflow kit from glass-holes.com. However, I read that the sump should only do about 3-5x turnover. Isn't the kit overkill then?

If I'm going to drill, does that mean I should drill a 1 inch drain and 1/2 inch returns (as opposed to 1 1/2 inch drain and 3/4 inch return like in the kit). Or does the pipe sizes not matter, and it's all about the GPH rating of the return? What's the correct way to plumb this tank?

Thanks.

so you want some wiggle room. I personally would never run 700 gph through an overflow rated for that, I aim to have 50% headroom (although thats probably overkill). I would use whatever holes they recommend to use if you want to use that kit, theyve already done the leg work for you and changing their design probably isnt a good idea. You can run 300, 400 even 500 (or hell, 10) through that overflow with no problems.

• 7 months later...

I just drilled my BC29. I used the super nano con dientes overflow box kit (300gph I believe). This has 1" drain with 1/2" return. This was as recommended by the guys at glass-holes. I have some pictures on my build thread. I use a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 for the return pump. Has been working great!

Archived