SaltCritters.com

3 gallon picotope build

kylhcky

here's the pic of the tank, got a little side tracked with life.

10010201_10152096526978137_7248660481295

on a side note, my heater seems to be crapping out on me already, the past 3 days the temp swings have been +/- 4 degrees (before this it was a consistent +/- 1 at 80, and this is with the light on a 12/12 cycle). anyone have suggestions for a decent heater that isn't huge and has a reliable thermostat?

i've been using the hydor theo in my pico and it's been great.

what wattage, 25?

Everything sounds good! Sounds like it'll be a fun build :). I have a similar build:

2475E6F0-36F9-48D5-8C87-E42DD34FAC74_zps

just saw your thread like 5 mins ago and was in awe on how much life you've packed into this little tank. it's almost making me want to take my hob filter off and run a refugium.

update, 4/18:

went and bought another heater while i was at petsmart for feeder crickets, ended up getting the same one again (stupid i know) but it was on sale for $8 so its worth seeing if my first was just a lemon. i have also ordered my t5's, hopefully they'll be here by next week. i only have to get my ato and glass lid made, and then i can buy live rock and start cycling my tank.

dingusplease

what wattage, 25?

just saw your thread like 5 mins ago and was in awe on how much life you've packed into this little tank. it's almost making me want to take my hob filter off and run a refugium.

Thanks for the kind words!

I use a 50w tetra heater, and the light has mysteriously stopped working, however the heater itself appears to be functioning... odd. I'll be interested to see how the t5s work for you. I have two 9w 50/50's, and my montipora is growing very fast (haven't ventured into other sps yet, even though my params are stable.) I kind of wish I had gotten the coralife fixture in the beginning, but I didn't have the funds for it when I started the build. On that subject, are you planning on any sps?

One more thing, you mention supplements in your supply list. I would recommend not dosing anything, it can really get you params out of whack in a tank is small (and of course because you would need a ton of sps to even start needing more calcium.) Regular WCs will replenish the basic elements like iodine, calcium, magnesium etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words! I use a 50w tetra heater, and the light has mysteriously stopped working, however the heater itself appears to be functioning... odd. I'll be interested to see how the t5s work for you. I have two 9w 50/50's, and my montipora is growing very fast (haven't ventured into other sps yet, even though my params are stable.) I kind of wish I had gotten the coralife fixture in the beginning, but I didn't have the funds for it when I started the build. On that subject, are you planning on any sps? One more thing, you mention supplements in your supply list. I would recommend not dosing anything, it can really get you params out of whack in a tank is small (and of course because you would need a ton of sps to even start needing more calcium.) Regular WCs will replenish the basic elements like iodine, calcium, magnesium etc. Good luck!

i was honestly thinking of just going two of the jbj 9wts right off the back, but at last minute i just decided to say screw it and go for the t5's. i wasn't really planning on sps's, more of a soft/lps tank, a duncan or an anemone would keep me satisfied for a while as well. as far as supps go i was just looking into the basic kent essential elements, i was relying on heavy water changes to help with the elements but some dosing never hurts. i plan on stocking the tank with some pods' before adding any coral so that way it can help me space out feeding intervals slightly.

im getting lucky with petsmart the past few days, went back today to grab food for my dog and this was on sale for $7. i didnt need it but again, for that price... sold.

10152997_10152101226213137_4905340808077

update 4/23:

decided to return the coralife mini and bought a dual 18w 20" odyssea t5 instead. i figured go with something a little bigger because im on the verge of putting the picotope aside and getting a 5.5 gallon from petsmart.

welp, found an old 10 gallon i had tucked in the back of my closet i forgot about. i gave her a good cleaning, leak tested for a day and as of now i think this is going to become a 10 gallon nano instead of a picotope build. im mainly doing this because im going to save myself the time and the effort when i know i want to upgrade eventually, and now i will be able to get a clown in there.

exactly my thoughts, the picotope will just be put on the back burner for now, maybe when the nano reef is done ill start the pico as a freshwater tank, keep it simple with a dwarf puffer or maybe a shrimp tank.

How old is this tank? Looks relatively old with how full and colourful it is

that pico that is pictured in here was dingus' to show me what his looked like, unfortunately that tank isn't mine.

5/1 update: t5's finally came in. just left with getting the ato and a lid until i can start cycling.

right now i am in between two things. i am not sure if i want to go with dead rock instead of live just so i lower the chance of harmful hitch hikers. and the second thing being wether i want to go bare bottom vs sand just out of a maintenance stand point. less harmful debris and wastes will build up but a sand bed will help with the dissipation of nutrients into the system. hmmm, decisions decisions. anyone have any input?

Reefkid88

-If you can't decide on a lid,grab a sheet of acrlyic from HD and cut it to your specs that way you can notch it for your ATO cords and tubing makes life x100 easier.

-If you decide on base rock,just grab a 5 gallon bucket from Walmart for a few bucks and mix up some water with and place a extra pump of you have one and set it cure for a week or two changing the water out to get rid of the phosphates it most likely will leach.

- Bare bottom I think is always best,especially for picos. You already know why ( reasons you stated in your update post ). Other than that,you should be good !!!

-If you can't decide on a lid,grab a sheet of acrlyic from HD and cut it to your specs that way you can notch it for your ATO cords and tubing makes life x100 easier.

-If you decide on base rock,just grab a 5 gallon bucket from Walmart for a few bucks and mix up some water with and place a extra pump of you have one and set it cure for a week or two changing the water out to get rid of the phosphates it most likely will leach.

- Bare bottom I think is always best,especially for picos. You already know why ( reasons you stated in your update post ). Other than that,you should be good !!!

thank you for the response. as far as the lid goes i was planning on doing just that with a sheet of acrylic, especially since it's just a normal 10 gallon (the picotope would have bugged me with my ocd so that's why i was going in that direction with a glass lid originally)

i think ive become sold on bare bottom though, itll be easier to keep water parameters more stable and hopefully buys me more time to keep the tank up and running. the only downside now is that i may not be able to get a conch like i wanted to. oh well, it's not the end of the world.

any inputs on a cleanup crew that does well without sand? (besides snails)

• 2 weeks later...

5/15 update:

i just got urge to spend way to much with bill me later because i got tired of staring at a tank full of dry equipment. i think im sticking with the picotope, but have decided to order a 50w heater and a karolina nano 240 for it, i expect to put nearly everything on its lowest setting, but now i finally feel comfortable with the equipment being overkill for a 3g. i also went ahead and ordered some frag equipment, kalkwasser, revive, red seal coral pro salt and a autoaqua smart ato kit. all i need to do now is figure out a plan to hang my lights and i can get my live rock and cycle.

new update, everything is still in the mail at the moment, tank and home made light stand just got a coat of black paint. tank will be up and running this friday.

Archived