Top Shelf Aquatics

Suggestions for a 10 Gallon Reef

INTRESTING CORALS

INTRESTING CORALS

As of right now I only have a 10K light on my standard 10. I've been told that this isn't enough to support most corals. I'm looking to have mostly mushrooms and maybe a few LPS. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on lights so keep suggestions below $150. Also is there anyway to increase coraline growth. I've got some pretty turquoise on my rock and I'd like to see it spread.

You can grow corals with 5500K or 7500K light. Sunlight is 5500K, and it grows corals very well.

It's not so much the color as intensity. Distance is the most major factor of intensity, Inverse Square Law. Theoretically, one could grow coral with one 3watt LED, if the coral were sufficiently small enough and the LED is sufficiently close enough.

A couple Par 3X lights might be under $150.

Scratch your coralline algae with a tool like the tips of your 12 inch tweezers. You need to have calcium 400ish, dKH 8+ish. And sufficient light for it to grow. In my experience, the pinks, reds, and purples will overgrow any new colonies of greens you may sprout.

For 180 a reefbreeder value fixture is amazing, a bit more expensive than you say but well worth all the features, +1 to the par bulbs, you could also do a duel t5

For a 10 gallon you can go with led, 70 watt metal halide or even t5 for under 150. If you go with metal halide or t5 check out http://www.fishneedit.com/ the bulbs will need to replaced which for a good build mh will be about 60 and t5 plan on 25 per bulb that means 50 for 2 bulbs. This is over kill but you can always turn it down http://www.ebay.com/itm/165W-Full-Spectrum-Dimmable-LED-Reef-Coral-Fish-Tank-Marine-Aquarium-Light-Lamp-/291115070207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7cf72ff You could also go with a par 38 or par 30 led.

• Like 1

Well you should be able to grow a few shrooms with it, but there are quite a few LED options in that range that should be able to light up a 10-gallon enough to grow moderate light demanding corals.

I have a little Marineland "Reef Capable" 10K LED light that seems to work alright on shallow tanks, it only has 1 watt LEDs.

I would get a cheap clamp-on light fixture and some type of PAR 38 LED bulb, you will have shitloads of light and money left over for replacement frags that you bleach.

Ebay has Asian suppliers of these LEDs for around $30. Some type of a clamp fixture will run you another $15-$30 from your local hardware or office supply store. Find one stiff enough to hold a heavy bulb if possible.

You might even find a LED bulb there, but it likely won't be a colour temperature desirable for reefing. It will cost more too.

Here are some links, no affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-54W-LED-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-12-White-6Blue-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Lamp-PAR38-/141203777086

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVO-Spot-PAR38-LED-Reef-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-6-Colors-For-Live-Corals-/331161457315

I find 10K too white for viewing, but it's OK for growing, at least at this level in your hobby.

The nice colours in my opinion appear with bulbs 15K and over, just a preference though.

• Like 1
INTRESTING CORALS

Would the first link actually work. I would hate to blow $30 on a piece of crap. I really like the LED look, shimmering looks nice. Any more info?

Sure there are all kinds of people around here using PAR 38 LEDs on nano-reefs. It's 54 watts of 3 watt leds. For comparison my Kessil A150W is only around 30 watts.

Don't just run out and nessecarily by the first bulb you see. Maybe start another thread, google a bit to get a feel for what LEDs you want in the fixture. Some have just white and blue LEDs, while some have more colours and are a little more "full spectrum".

Some may cost more, but may or may not be better then the eBay ones.

Somebody here sells one that some seem to like. Is it worth that much more? I don't know. You can see how it has more then two LED colours.

http://fragbox.ca/coral-frags/dry/full-spectrum-par-38-bulb/

Sure there are all kinds of people around here using PAR 38 LEDs on nano-reefs. It's 54 watts of 3 watt leds. For comparison my Kessil A150W is only around 30 watts.

Par38's typically use twelve 3W diodes, but they are usually not run at their maximum power since the passive heatsinks cannot get rid of the heat enough to keep from cooking the drivers in the neck of the light fixture - they are usually run at 1.5-2W per diode. Coral Compulsion has a unique 40W monster, but that one is actively cooled as well

Kessils use a dense matrix array under a single lens that is actively cooled - quite a bit different than the typical Par38...

SaltySaltyDog

Look into Current USA Orbit Marine LED at 18". I got this lighting system at about $130 for my 10 gallon and it includes ramp up and down simulating sunrise/sunset, 4 entirely customizable and programmable channels, moonlights, sun/moon cloud passover, thunderstorm, and lots of other cool little features. The actinics and white lighting are both dimmable to your preferences. I keep my actinics at 100% and have slowly increased my white lights to about 50% strength over the last few months and I am happily keeping tabling and branching acropora, birdsnest, and millepora in the mid to higher regions of the tank.

I was unsure of its capability when it comes to growing and sustaining high light corals due to the individual LEDs only being 1/2 watt as opposed to the 1 watt or 3 watt cree LEDs or even some of the half decent chinese jobs on Ebay, but it has done a wonderful job of not only allowing my SPS corals to survive, but to thrive and color up nicely. There is always a nice improvement of color when I add new frags to my 10 gallon tank. Very happy with my purchase, was referred this setup by a good guy at my LFS who also keeps SPS under these lights.

Check em out

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23753&pcatid=23753

This or a similar T-5 fixture with 2 x 18 watt bulbs would work nicely for what you want. The price is well with in your budget as well. Is it the best lighting available, that's pretty open to extensive debate but the bottom line is it will pick up the check for what it is you want to do.

A 70 watt halide would be pretty kick butt as well and will use just about the same amount of electricity that the T-5 fixture with a electronic ballast will. It will also give you the shimmering effect that you desire and will handle anything from Softies, LPS or SPS corals and Clams. If your canopy isn't properly ventilated it can create some heat issues though if your not careful. I would suggest a 14K bulb to give you a bit of a bluish tint to your lighting and allow you the option of running additional actinic lighting or not.

There are a lot of LED fixtures out there that are awesome as well and these too will work very well. Unfortunately some of the better models are pretty pricey and might really push the outter limits of what your willing to spend. They aren't my favorite form of lighting but I am starting to really get behind LED's of late given the current technology available and I am sure this will continue to improve considerably in the near future.

Given your situation and budget I think the T-5 fixture would be the best bang for the buck, but it certainly aint the only option.

You guys really make things complicated lol, just get a par38 from reef breeders, and you can keep anything you want, not even an exaggeration. Get a clamp from boost LED and you're set. At least, that's what I run on my 10 gallon and it works great.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...