Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vic's 30 Gallon Shallow Reef

Withers

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
wow.such.chris

This is pretty cool. I'm looking to get a db 30 in the future. How's this plumbed; overflow, return pump, pipes, etc? Feel like taking some pictures of your sump?

wow.such.chris

Aw damn, I had to tear it down because we're moving. I'll be setting it back up again around February ish though. But yeah, the plumbing was your typical overflow box / return setup. This is the only pic I have of the overflow

14077682313_9a3aa51d0c_b.jpg

Overflow box installed by Jason Withers, on Flickr

Thanks for the pic! I kinda meant whether it was a herbie, durso, or bean animal design. What size pipes? What size return pump? What's the overflow box rated for? Sorry for the loads of questions, just trying to get a good feel for the kind of flow/turnover people go for with these tanks.

Thanks for the pic! I kinda meant whether it was a herbie, durso, or bean animal design. What size pipes? What size return pump? What's the overflow box rated for? Sorry for the loads of questions, just trying to get a good feel for the kind of flow/turnover people go for with these tanks.

I have the same tank and if I could re do it I would not get it reef ready. I havnt had an issues with the reef ready, it just takes up a lot of room and is an eye sore. I would do a ghost or herbie over flow if I had my way.

wow.such.chris

I have the same tank and if I could re do it I would not get it reef ready. I havnt had an issues with the reef ready, it just takes up a lot of room and is an eye sore. I would do a ghost or herbie over flow if I had my way.

My plan is for a ghost overflow

Yeah the standard overflow boxes in these are ridiculously large, I'm glad I drilled it myself. I was happy with this but if I could do a ghost I would have much preferred that. I'm pretty sure I used a 1" modified durso overflow and a 3/4" return but it was heavily restrained. It may have even been 1/2". Either way I had to heavily restrict it to keep from blowing sand all over the place.

I mean it was, but it wasn't some monster of a pump. The tank is just really shallow and the return was directed very specifically so it didn't get dispersed like I would like. So I backed it down as much as I could to not blow sand around. The Vortech was the workhorse for water flow anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
wow.such.chris

Hey did you think the mp10 provided enough flow for the entire tank? My LFS has this tank for a mere $152 and I want to pull the trigger but I want to make sure that my current mp10 will be enough.

Hey did you think the mp10 provided enough flow for the entire tank? My LFS has this tank for a mere $152 and I want to pull the trigger but I want to make sure that my current mp10 will be enough.

I currently run two on mine at around 30% so I think if you just have one and run it at around 50%-60% you should be fine.

It's certainly capable of enough flow, but I ended up running a second one because there's a limit to what you can crank a single MP10 up to without making a sandstorm. It really just depends on your setup and what you plan to keep I guess.

• 1 year later...

Hey Jason. Been a LONG time since you were down this way in Charleston and I snagged a few frags. I found this thread from Dave's NanoBox thread and wanted to see if you're still in SC and if you ever set this tank back up.

My Elos Mini has been cruising along for 4+ years now. Hope all has been well with you. I need to get back into the NR community and post more often.

-Adam

Hey!

Yeah I'm still here, but no this tank was torn down. We moved into a new house in April and had a baby in June so I've had no time to dedicate to aquariums since, heh.

We should meet up some time!

Congratulations on the baby! We had our second child mid-May of this past year so I totally understand the lack of time to dedicate to aquariums ;) My ELOS Mini has been chugging along but I'm considering upgrading to a Red Sea Reefer 170 in the coming months.

Let's definitely meet up sometime. Sounds like we'll plan something when Dave is down this way later this month.

Archived