inTank Media Baskets

Transferring to a bigger tank

MattNoir

I recently acquired a used Red Sea Max 130D and have it all setup with new sand and live rock. I took a cup of sand from my 1 year+ 10 gallon and a small piece of live rock and put it in yesterday. I was wondering if I just moved the rest of my live rock over if it would be ok to move the fish over (1 fire fish and 1 green clown goby) or if I should just continue being impatiently patient?

So (if after a week), can you detect any ammonia in the new tank with a test kit? If not, then you should be able to transfer the live rock and fish to the new tank. However, don't transfer any more of the old sand.

Nice! I like those Red Sea Max 130D!!

While you are patiently being impatient, use the time to check everything works properly on the used Red Sea Max 130D.

But I know the feeling :)

Thanks Seabass. I only put some sand in because I've read that a scoop of sand from an established tank can seed the sand in a new tank. Thanks Matt I've liked them too and went in to a pet store having a moving sale looking for a stand for my 10 gallon when I saw the deal on the 130D. Came with a piece of live rock and 3 fish as well but I traded the fish for more live rock at a lfs. When I got it home I out all the parts from the overflow and treated it like I was setting it up brand new so I was sure everything was set up correctly

I only put some sand in because I've read that a scoop of sand from an established tank can seed the sand in a new tank.

I agree, I often do the same. It helps seed some fauna that lives on the sand (which might not be as prevalent on the rock). I only warn about transferring all of the substrate because that's the cause of most tank transfer failures.

Good luck, and enjoy the new tank!

Archived