Cultivated Reef

2 week cycle test results.. good or bad?

darkdancer333

Although what you could do, next time you fancy going to the shop, ring them first, ask if you can bring 2 samples down, one of your tank water, and one of your purified water RO/DI.

suggest you've been worried for your first inhabitants, and ask them to test all parameters of your water, just so you can be clear its not your test kits. (EDIT - your test kits playing up I mean)

A second opinion never hurts :)

... and m hermits always sit in the crevices aswell as creep about :)

It seems though, on your results, the nitrates are rising, maybe step off the food introductions, either step down in amount, or go to every other day for now, but your nitrites haven't settled yet, so any movement in nitrates could be seen as natural, either up or down.

Also, just bear in mind, whilst nitrites are still in the water, you will most certainly still create nitrates even on water changes, also throwing out "good and bad" bacteria's in the process.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
darkdancer333

I meant nitrites. I thought ammonia and nitrites were supposed to be zero before adding any livestock as they are the most toxic to the animals.

Nitrates can be controlled by water changes, growing macro algae or by chemical means. Nitrate oxidizing bacteria live deep in the rock and I understand it is rare to get much conversion in most home reefs. If your nitrates are very high, yes, that could be the problem with the snails dying. Maybe drain a lot of water out and drip in some new saltwater? If you just do a huge water change, the change in parameters might be too late and cause more casualties; if you add the fresh water back in slowly, it will give them a chance to acclimate to the changes. This much caution may be unnecessary, just a suggestion.

Edit - I reread your post and saw the nitrites were 0.02. I misread it before and though it said 0.2. My kit doesn't have close to that level of resolution. I agree with Lee - don't worry about the nitrites! (I'm another Brit but living over here!).

hi it's just 6 snails in 1 week is a lot to have die. I bought them in pairs and they both died about same time. My hermits are fine especially the tiny guy that was in the tank after about 10 days..I already did about 3 gal water change since this is a 14 gal tank

the 2 snails from last tuesday have been dormant last 2 days.. I have 3 hermits still functioning lol

Could you confirm too, that that is live rock in your tank, and what sand is that, live too ? :)

live rock an sand

darkdancer333

Could you confirm too, that that is live rock in your tank, and what sand is that, live too ? :)

I was keeping the 0 tds water outside in a sealed bucket an the guy at reef store said this is no good. he said I must keep indoors.

I don't understand if its good water an sealed..

Mine is in the garage here, since setup its seen close on zero degrees at night, now edging at summer, it sees about 7 or 8 degrees.

It is in a sealed bucket and lid, similar to a salt bucket with snap lid, a fermenting bin from my beer brew days.

My tank is fine ? I would question that advice to keep it indoors, as mine sees all types of temperatures, then bought in as and when needed in a gallon container and put in here, my bedroom, till its poured in for top up, I even mix my water change from the remains at the end of each month.

darkdancer333

Mine is in the garage here, since setup its seen close on zero degrees at night, now edging at summer, it sees about 7 or 8 degrees.

It is in a sealed bucket and lid, similar to a salt bucket with snap lid, a fermenting bin from my beer brew days.

My tank is fine ? I would question that advice to keep it indoors, as mine sees all types of temperatures, then bought in as and when needed in a gallon container and put in here, my bedroom, till its poured in for top up, I even mix my water change from the remains at the end of each month.

exactly what i thought I also preheat when its cold to like 70 degrees either by nuke or stove

Ok, so going back, at the start of this thread here, your nitrites have started at 0.2, then dropped to zero, now just above 0.02.

Your Ammonia seems great to now.

And your Nitrates have fluctuated from the 10-15 mark to now around 20.

it seems you "may" blame the fact of you mixing salt straight into your tank and inhabitants as part of your losses, fair play for you to say, and yes, i'd agree that would definitely do it.

I didn't know you did a 20% ish water change, again in the cycle, this could of done anything.

GTI - I don't recall saying anything to the tune of "don't worry over nitrites" as you say, the levels experienced in nitrates that Dark is experiencing is what I referred to, maybe now his levels at 0.02 I would be a little more inclined to say that, even still, I'd suggest letting this drop to undetectable level.

So now, as i've said doing water changes, changes everything, yes you've brought the nitrite down FOR NOW, but yet your nitrates are still up like I did suggest, only now you've also took 20% of any beneficial bacteria from the water too, and quite possibly upset the cycle, and shocked the inhabitants in an already changing environment.

I would suggest again having a good chat with a REPUTABLE shop or outlet, and ask them to test your water and RO/DI with reputable kits so you can be sure its not yours messing you about, the best i'd suggest to do tests with are Salifert kits, or D+D (Deltec).

I would strongly suggest now, you get your water tested by a good shop, to see what the problem is, if any, this is a very fun hobby, but you must be patient none the less, keep smiling :) we'll get there :)

darkdancer333

Ok, so going back, at the start of this thread here, your nitrites have started at 0.2, then dropped to zero, now just above 0.02.

it seems you "may" blame the fact of you mixing salt straight into your tank and inhabitants as part of your losses, fair play for you to say, and yes, i'd agree that would definitely do it.

I didn't know you did a 20% ish water change, again in the cycle, this could of done anything.

GTI - I don't recall saying anything to the tune of "don't worry over nitrites" as you say, the levels experienced in nitrates that Dark is experiencing is what I referred to, maybe now his levels at 0.02 I would be a little more inclined to say that, even still, I'd suggest letting this drop to undetectable level.

So now, as i've said doing water changes, changes everything, yes you've brought the nitrite down FOR NOW, but yet your nitrates are still up like I did suggest, only now you've also took 20% of any beneficial bacteria from the water too, and quite possibly upset the cycle, and shocked the inhabitants in an already changing environment.

I would suggest again having a good chat with a REPUTABLE shop or outlet, and ask them to test your water and RO/DI with reputable kits so you can be sure its not yours messing you about, the best i'd suggest to do tests with are Salifert kits, or D+D (Deltec).

I would strongly suggest now, you get your water tested by a good shop, to see what the problem is, if any, this is a very fun hobby, but you must be patient none the less, keep smiling :) we'll get there :)

today I did 3 gal change because of high nitrate..I havent tested after the change. Nitrite this week been up an down but today I noticed the spike in nitrate so thats when I did the water change

15 - 20 in my eyes is not a spike to warrant a water change, I mean its not dangerous levels, worrying yes, not dangerous at this stage in.

Ok, my advice here, please, don't do any more water changes till ALL your levels have stabilised, and your nitrates have shown signs of natural drop through your live rock and sand's doings :)

Really when you think about it now, by doing a water change now, all your live rock and sand was "gearing up" to compensate the levels and drop them, now you've artificially done this through water change, what now happens to all those beneficial bacteria's in your rock and sand at the levels they were at, now you've dropped all there "food source" as in ammonia, nitrites and 'ates, they die off and you get another mini cycle.

Isn't it all fun :)

I don't want to be argumentative but in an earlier post you said his nitrite was perfect. I took that to mean not to worry about it. No biggie.

darkdancer333

sorry also if i appear a bit sharp in any of my responses, its not meant badly at all :)

its ok I just wish I held off lol a mini cycle I just didnt want my hermits to die.. I always thought beet red on nitrate was deadly

my live rock is starting little mushrooms here an there an I also see some green spots on the rock

good good, all signs of life :) i'm sure there won't be any probs with your hermits, just counted mine to be sure, yup I thought I had 4 ... nope, 5 as I started off, they shed skins that look exactly like themselves, its quite freaky to see them :)

No, beet red isn't nasty, it depends on what beet red corresponds to on the specific test kit, again though "in the context" of the cycle, your nitrate doesn't ring to many alarm bells here with me :) just keep an eye and it should settle, a cycle is in basic term too, all your live stuffs on the rocks dying off in transit and your setup, we have to allow time for all this to "cycle" in natures terms, and of course, we cant rush nature ;)

darkdancer333

good good, all signs of life :) i'm sure there won't be any probs with your hermits, just counted mine to be sure, yup I thought I had 4 ... nope, 5 as I started off, they shed skins that look exactly like themselves, its quite freaky to see them :)

No, beet red isn't nasty, it depends on what beet red corresponds to on the specific test kit, again though "in the context" of the cycle, your nitrate doesn't ring to many alarm bells here with me :) just keep an eye and it should settle, a cycle is in basic term too, all your live stuffs on the rocks dying off in transit and your setup, we have to allow time for all this to "cycle" in natures terms, and of course, we cant rush nature ;)

diatoms have no trouble in tank lol I found my missing hermit cant find his shell but he was floating around dead today. I think he got trapped in one of the porous rocks and couldnt find a way out. I figured 4 weeks before coral now it may be a bit longer. I dont think anymore snails till tank is done cycling

good plan, another when you can is, grab your self at least the same amount of spare shells for your hermits, preferably slightly bigger ones to start, got mine off fleabay, you'll find they swap out from time to time, and you may of found the little one may of wanted to move house :)

I got about 6 or 8 sitting in my front left corner, although they get barged around all over the place, I just use my little acrylic stick and shove them back, a little like gardening or keeping it tidy :)

darkdancer333

good plan, another when you can is, grab your self at least the same amount of spare shells for your hermits, preferably slightly bigger ones to start, got mine off fleabay, you'll find they swap out from time to time, and you may of found the little one may of wanted to move house :)

I got about 6 or 8 sitting in my front left corner, although they get barged around all over the place, I just use my little acrylic stick and shove them back, a little like gardening or keeping it tidy :)

I have like 12 all types of shells so he didnt try hard enough lol My other little guy was all over the bigger hermit and the snail wonder if he is looking?? I have various sizes Just he is so small the size of the tip of my pinky finger

Jeez mine are like tarantulas now LOL :) bought them tiny too, i suppose the shells theyve moved into are about 3 times what they were, now they leg it (run) all over the place and they're nuts, climb everything, want to regularly see what the powerhead looks like, plain bonkers they are :) anyway, good night for now, and i'll catch ya later oki, i'm yawning its 2:30am now :)

darkdancer333

Jeez mine are like tarantulas now LOL :) bought them tiny too, i suppose the shells theyve moved into are about 3 times what they were, now they leg it (run) all over the place and they're nuts, climb everything, want to regularly see what the powerhead looks like, plain bonkers they are :) anyway, good night for now, and i'll catch ya later oki, i'm yawning its 2:30am now :)

LOL sleep good

Night

darkdancer333

LOL nutty crabs :) don't forget the HD button on there :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203497066417158&l=8393690976145047565

yours are so active.. one of mine i take out of rock crevice an he goes right back in the other moves around but not like that

also a hole in one of the rocks I was looking for a hermt with a flashlight an i noticed a venus flytrap looking thing

It was beige with a few tentacles like a flytrap. someone here thought a scallop an the guy at the reef store said bi-valve.

i saw pics bi-valves but this guys shell or outer casing seems soft

which I could take a pic but hard to see it

You'll get loads of stuffs on live rocks, I got weird green tipped like shoots of plants, tentacle things LOL, polyps and the like.

Yea, my hermits are proper hooligans LOL :)

Generally I put 10 or so tiny crab cuisine pellets in, they sink, I leave them on the bottom for the day and night, and hoover them out next day, rinse and repeat :) then daily my tank gets a shot of 50ml of phytoplankton and flake food, every other day or so I put in mysis frozen (thawed obviously).

tonight i'm out for food, so i'll catch ya later :)

... and every now and then, a spirulina tab which breaks down over the bottom too :)

darkdancer333

You'll get loads of stuffs on live rocks, I got weird green tipped like shoots of plants, tentacle things LOL, polyps and the like.

Yea, my hermits are proper hooligans LOL :)

Generally I put 10 or so tiny crab cuisine pellets in, they sink, I leave them on the bottom for the day and night, and hoover them out next day, rinse and repeat :) then daily my tank gets a shot of 50ml of phytoplankton and flake food, every other day or so I put in mysis frozen (thawed obviously).

tonight i'm out for food, so i'll catch ya later :)

... and every now and then, a spirulina tab which breaks down over the bottom too :)

dine well lol

wish I could get a pic of that odd creature lol just hard to know what its

Archived