Coral Vue Hydros

2 week cycle test results.. good or bad?

darkdancer333

darkdancer333

I tested the tank today. This is the 14th day..

Nitrate = 10-15

Nitrite = 0.2

Ammonia = 0

Ca = 3.9

Kh = 3.0

MG = 1380

The tank has diatoms and amphipods. I see some green algae starting on the live rock.

I had 2 hermit crabs that are a week in the tank. Today I got 2 more hermits and 2 turbo snails

Before I started adding coral and clowns just wanted to know about my test results.

I think my nitrate is a tad high?

Any advice be appreciated

thx

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With ammonia undetectable but with some nitrite, this indicates that the nitrogen cycle is almost fully established. I'd do a large water change (maybe like 40%) to improve the water quality before adding more livestock.

darkdancer333

With ammonia undetectable but with some nitrite, this indicates that the nitrogen cycle is almost fully established. I'd do a large water change (maybe like 40%) to improve the water quality before adding more livestock.

water change tomorrow or when nitrite is 0

TBH, a water change won't help alot, if you think about it, whats 40% of 0.2 ?

your majority of results seem in keeping for now, your Ca ? is that the equivalent of 390, thats ok, around the 420 is around peak.

But your KH is low, need about 7-11 on that, what salt are you using, and whats the package say the KH is, Mag's ok for now.

Do you have live rock and sand, are you skimming, any further tank equipments ?

Nitrates - looks reasonable for now, maybe just the back end of the cycle finishing off, personally, as I have no idea of how you've set up, I would leave it for maybe a few days to say half a week, re-test then decide.

Me, I wouldnt do a water change (yet), mines been setup for 3 months or so (120 ltr sumped), never did one at the start, only once i'd started adding clean up and fish, i'm still adding now, I started with 2 clowns a couple of weeks or so in, and only now ive just added 2 wrasses, a six line and carpenters flasher, in another 2 weeks i'll add another 2 wrasses, maybe a melanarus and cleaner. My corals i'm adding still also, just added a frogspawn and slowly along the way.

There's no rush, take your time, you'll be thanked by your new inhabitants :) remember a cycle doesn't always finish in 2 weeks, if I remember i left mine 3 plus to be sure, then added my cleanup, which is now a good 15+ nassarius snails - 4 or 5 are large, a good 10 various others for glass clean, a brittle star, 4 algae hermits, and a handful of red legs.

I feed on home made-up phytoplankton I grow myself, aswell as crab pellets and spirulina tabs, obvious flake (decent), and soon mysis.

Here's my tank now ...

http://s740.photobucket.com/user/leewink/media/10257200_10203450352649343_202430383953067574_o_zps22f875fa.jpg.html'>10257200_10203450352649343_2024303839530

Just chill and enjoy, you have all the fun ahead of you :)

... another thing to remember, if you do a water change now, a big one, think of all the "good stuff" you'll be chucking away, aswell as bad yes agreed, but don't be rushing it :)

It will improve general water quality, taking nitrate down from 10-15ppm to 6-9ppm (more in line with most recommendations).

... another thing to remember, if you do a water change now, a big one, think of all the "good stuff" you'll be chucking away, aswell as bad yes agreed, but don't be rushing it :)

What good stuff? The nitrifying bacteria resides mostly on hard surfaces (like live rock).

agreed on that yes, but nature can do that and thats what your hoping for with cycling, do you use RO/DI water too ?

Honestly, give it a good few days and see, remember again, i'm not digging here, but recommendations is a rough guide, I know plenty of keepers with nitrates in the 40's Plus, their reefs are show stoppers, trust me.

Also, nitrates is the end product and i wont say its safe, but a little certainly doesn't harm, ideally everyone wants zero, but what you have isn't a problem to me, my last test end of March I had around 1 nitrate and only traces from the start, but I have used top quality expensive extra cured live rock and live sand, even still, i'd expect a slight spike now ive added fish, no problems.

I will say though, a powerful skimmer is a must, don't follow me, but I have just installed a Skimz SM163 under mine, its a beast, but some may say overskim maybe, realistically, I skim out crud before it gets to the cycle stages, my tank water is close to gin clear, and I only use rowaphos in a reactor otherwise, no chemical medias nothing, theres no need, I feed live phyto so my microscopic livestock stays fed too.

Improving general water quality, that comes with time, only a little more, and to me anyway, quality of equipment / lighting ect. it all comes into play here in the big picture, just have fun and take your time :)

... Water contains all sorts, otherwise i'd do 50% changes a week otherwise, now I do 15% a month, one change. In time if you ever move that tank house to house, you'll see how when marine water chills and sits around in the move, how much is truely in it by smell if nothing else, it is very simple to wreck a tank on a move.

EDIT - In simple, your allowing "all" of your tank to mature in the cycle, not just rock and sand, the water has to bed in so to speak aswell, its why we slowly stock over time, everything has to get used to any addition. Never rush this part, as it will almost certainly lead to complications along the road.

People use UV's to kill off nasties in the water, although they kill good too, the water is as much a part as your rock or sand as far as "the cycle" goes, and changing masses now tbh, to me, you danger the cycle anyway, as you haven't possibly given enough time to see any true end to it, as in zero or trace nitrite, zero ammonia, and nitrate at your levels to me isn't a problem for now, it can be worked on in time.

In water aswell as everywhere, there are bacteria's, on glass, everywhere, and they are important not to upset for now.

Cheers, lee

Anyway, best be off for now, its 3:30 am here now :)

Do take it easy, think on it, i'm only trying to help give a fuller picture here, but more importantly not to rush things.

Have a good day / evening, Lee :)

darkdancer333

your majority of results seem in keeping for now, your Ca ? is that the equivalent of 390, thats ok, around the 420 is around peak.

But your KH is low, need about 7-11 on that, what salt are you using, and whats the package say the KH is, Mag's ok for now.

Do you have live rock and sand, are you skimming, any further tank equipments ?

Nitrates - looks reasonable for now, maybe just the back end of the cycle finishing off, personally, as I have no idea of how you've set up, I would leave it for maybe a few days to say half a week, re-test then decide.

Me, I wouldnt do a water change (yet), mines been setup for 3 months or so (120 ltr sumped), never did one at the start, only once i'd started adding clean up and fish, i'm still adding now, I started with 2 clowns a couple of weeks or so in, and only now ive just added 2 wrasses, a six line and carpenters flasher, in another 2 weeks i'll add another 2 wrasses, maybe a melanarus and cleaner. My corals i'm adding still also, just added a frogspawn and slowly along the way.

There's no rush, take your time, you'll be thanked by your new inhabitants :) remember a cycle doesn't always finish in 2 weeks, if I remember i left mine 3 plus to be sure, then added my cleanup, which is now a good 15+ nassarius snails - 4 or 5 are large, a good 10 various others for glass clean, a brittle star, 4 algae hermits, and a handful of red legs.

I feed on home made-up phytoplankton I grow myself, aswell as crab pellets and spirulina tabs, obvious flake (decent), and soon mysis.

Here's my tank now ...

10257200_10203450352649343_2024303839530

Just chill and enjoy, you have all the fun ahead of you :)

I'll let the cycle finish.

My set up is live rock an sand. I have 4 hermits an 2 snails. Bio balls was the big ?? lol I went to reef store a different one, an they had a 14 gal nano that was spectacular. Asian gal owned this store.. I had to buy another heater because my Jaeger was too tall to get to the water line. I purchased a 50 watt which she said was plenty. Anyway their coral tank was beautiful. She said it took about 2 years with all the coral they have in it. She used bio-balls and the stock filter with carbon.. The only thing she did say about the bio-balls was to put a piece of fiber pad over the top of the balls. She said this will keep food particles from entering.. She had me set my tank up the same way she had hers..

She had small spotted shrimp, mandarin goby, lol 2 finding nemo clowns she called them and 30 some odd types of coral. The set up was magnificent

I know bio-balls have there pro's and con's but her tank was one of the best i've seen.

Also the guy from another reef store said that corals don't need to be fed.. The Asian gal said yes they do so here I am a bit confused..

Again any help is appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

I was told by 3 people at 3 different reef stores a skimmer wasn't necessary for a tank this size.

Hi there, I take it by what you've written and the heater you've bought, your tank maybe around 10-15 Gallon, i'm just guessing here ?

There are mixed views all round as to whether corals need feeding, and yes you can read either, me, when I feed my torch / frogspawn and even as its in the water, my mushrooms, I can see that they "fold up" and eat, more importantly after, the look a million dollars for it, pardon the pun.

The way I look at it also, although you will hear specifically "corals don't need it", what about all your microscopic live stocks ? they all and everything starts from phyto, and they all feed on it to survive, and they are very beneficial to your overall natural filter if you like.

I would say if you have a smaller styled skimmer or no skimmer even, you'll have to be very careful not to overfeed it, as it can be detrimental otherwise.

Also, on researching each specific coral, a good few sites (NOT personal keepers of, i mean information only), make mention of feeding and whether specifics like it, or its beneficial, obviously most need specific lighting or strength, but for me again personally, it makes my tank shine to feed.

On the skimmer for you, I couldnt disagree with what you've been told, as its personal choice again as to what you do, if it was me with say a tank half my size, say 60 litre, I would still skim, and if I could find one, even half that size again to 30 ltr.

Organics in a tank to me causes many issues, the obvious being load on the natural filtering and that your not helping it by not skimming, even a tiny underrated "el-cheapo" is better than nothing.

Also, ive mentioned elsewhere, I look at the sea in nature, waves crashing, its a natural skimmer, seeing all the nutrients (algae) where it happens, its in nature so I feel thats why I need it, of course aswell as its obvious filter capabilities in a tank.

since ive re-set up ive now gone minimalistic on mine, in terms of an "only whats needed" approach, so I skim very heavy, use live rock and sand and a good grade, I use a reactor only for Rowaphos and a UV as a lightweight insurance or backup.

On bio-balls, yes your right there are varied views, I dont use them, my brother has on his 4 x 2 x 2 foot, after telling our local marine centre he used them, he was told to swiftly take them out, as they strip not only the bad from the tank, his now is beautiful. Just to mention here, this guy we see, has a shop obviously, kept marines 25-30 years, maintains other peoples and is not just your average "shopkeeper" ...... hang on, do you mean bio-pearls or bio balls as in black plastic filter media balls, sorry i'm going on about bio-pearls here :) anyway, as for bio-balls, its a fat NO from me, got a jar of them here, best left there in it.

Again, back to the skimmer front, its personal choice, but i'd skim on choice, and I wouldnt use any other media apart from Rowaphos, no chemical crap nothing, there's no need when skimming if done properly, another reason to use one, saves all the other headache of battling with chemicals.

If you'd give us a little more info on your tank, size, litre'age, filtering used etc, i'm sure it'd help anyone chipping in here :) have a good day, Lee

darkdancer333

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oceanic-BioCube-Protein-Skimmer-Oceanic-Bio-Cube-14-29-HQI-/351042797223?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item51bbc7fea7

Hi there, I take it by what you've written and the heater you've bought, your tank maybe around 10-15 Gallon, i'm just guessing here ?

There are mixed views all round as to whether corals need feeding, and yes you can read either, me, when I feed my torch / frogspawn and even as its in the water, my mushrooms, I can see that they "fold up" and eat, more importantly after, the look a million dollars for it, pardon the pun.

The way I look at it also, although you will hear specifically "corals don't need it", what about all your microscopic live stocks ? they all and everything starts from phyto, and they all feed on it to survive, and they are very beneficial to your overall natural filter if you like.

I would say if you have a smaller styled skimmer or no skimmer even, you'll have to be very careful not to overfeed it, as it can be detrimental otherwise.

Also, on researching each specific coral, a good few sites (NOT personal keepers of, i mean information only), make mention of feeding and whether specifics like it, or its beneficial, obviously most need specific lighting or strength, but for me again personally, it makes my tank shine to feed.

On the skimmer for you, I couldnt disagree with what you've been told, as its personal choice again as to what you do, if it was me with say a tank half my size, say 60 litre, I would still skim, and if I could find one, even half that size again to 30 ltr.

Organics in a tank to me causes many issues, the obvious being load on the natural filtering and that your not helping it by not skimming, even a tiny underrated "el-cheapo" is better than nothing.

Also, ive mentioned elsewhere, I look at the sea in nature, waves crashing, its a natural skimmer, seeing all the nutrients (algae) where it happens, its in nature so I feel thats why I need it, of course aswell as its obvious filter capabilities in a tank.

since ive re-set up ive now gone minimalistic on mine, in terms of an "only whats needed" approach, so I skim very heavy, use live rock and sand and a good grade, I use a reactor only for Rowaphos and a UV as a lightweight insurance or backup.

On bio-balls, yes your right there are varied views, I dont use them, my brother has on his 4 x 2 x 2 foot, after telling our local marine centre he used them, he was told to swiftly take them out, as they strip not only the bad from the tank, his now is beautiful. Just to mention here, this guy we see, has a shop obviously, kept marines 25-30 years, maintains other peoples and is not just your average "shopkeeper" ...... hang on, do you mean bio-pearls or bio balls as in black plastic filter media balls, sorry i'm going on about bio-pearls here :) anyway, as for bio-balls, its a fat NO from me, got a jar of them here, best left there in it.

Again, back to the skimmer front, its personal choice, but i'd skim on choice, and I wouldnt use any other media apart from Rowaphos, no chemical crap nothing, there's no need when skimming if done properly, another reason to use one, saves all the other headache of battling with chemicals.

If you'd give us a little more info on your tank, size, litre'age, filtering used etc, i'm sure it'd help anyone chipping in here :) have a good day, Lee

beautiful set up, mine is 14 gal so a small skimmer?? I know they sell a small one on ebay for my tank for 35 dollars.. Not sure if this is good enough

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oceanic-BioCube-Protein-Skimmer-Oceanic-Bio-Cube-14-29-HQI-/351042797223?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item51bbc7fea7

Looks a nice little compact skimmer yes, just be sure its rated for your size, I can't obviously say whether its "good" enough, to be honest and again no offense, its $35 .... finds the dollar key LOL, ask in the "filter" ect forum threads, grab some views, see what people think.

The paramount to try and find out is is it noisy, my whole lot is in my bedroom, so I have made sure I deaden sound where I can, under sump unit is fully sound deadened with sound foam, and all pumps / skimmer are on silicone 5mm sheet, the skimmers on 2 thicknesses - 10mm (EDIT).

Its good to take a good amount of views and try to read between the lines where you can, thats a nice sized tank you have ... 14 US Gall is about 40 odd litre yes ?

Its the same with this whole hobby, as to "whats good enough", I would say if this is your first skimmer, go for it, get used to them, cleaning them ect, if your not happy, step it up, of course I dont know your personal / financial status, if you need to be sure, ask around :)

This is a great hobby, with plenty of people to help and guide you, you just gotta ask :)

Have fun, Lee

(just checking and editing the post, wish this damn head / brain injury would help me from time to time LOL)

darkdancer333

Also can skimmer be effective in the compartment where the bio-balls are or does it have to replace the cartridge in compartment

I'm not to sure on your tank compartment sizes ect, but me personally, i'd take the bio balls out and use that section for your skimmer, again i'm trusting you mean like the bio balls - black marble sized plastic balls and slotted ect ? if so yes, get rid of these :)

Also, your last bit there, "replace the cartridge", what is the cartridge, maybe it best to get rid of that too, or put it aside out of the tank maybe for later, do let us know.

darkdancer333

I'm not to sure on your tank compartment sizes ect, but me personally, i'd take the bio balls out and use that section for your skimmer, again i'm trusting you mean like the bio balls - black marble sized plastic balls and slotted ect ? if so yes, get rid of these :)

Also, your last bit there, "replace the cartridge", what is the cartridge, maybe it best to get rid of that too, or put it aside out of the tank maybe for later, do let us know.

the cartridge is a filter with charcoal combined that goes in compartment 1,

The bio balls were plastic and they were removed, I didnt have this in for a day.

Again pros an cons on charcoal. I had a bag with filter floss before but this was a mess made it look like cat hair in the tank lol

So I went back to the cartridge..

Yup, charcoal is basically a water clarifier in basic, your right on pro's and cons, and again its a personal feeling on that too, I don't use it based on my skimmer doing all my clarifying, but sure, if you feel ok with it, use it, If you wanted water space or free'ing up room, its there if you need it.

Yup, bingo on the bio-balls, there's a good place for them, a saying used by us "over here", file them under "B" -- bin ! LOL :)

And yes, filter floss is a bit of, or can be a mess too, agreed to get rid of that too, but all in the learning curve, we've all done and removed stuff :)

Its one thing I will say use, but in the right quantities, thats charcoal, it helps clear up any clarity left by the skimmer, again though clean it out and replace often, or as needed, its not a substance to just leave if you get me.

You may find though,if you go skimming, that it may be enough to then get rid of the charcoal too, as they both do a similar job to a basic extent, they remove organics and the "tea colour" in the water, of course charcoal removes other stuff, the basic need is for clarity of water.

I saw a vid on youtube when I was researching for my lights (hydra), a guy over in the US had the Vega and we were chatting, he used a good saying, "it works for me", and thats right, some things are so trial and error, some things aren't, there's so many variants to take into consideration with it all. But you've done the best thing, ditched the bio balls :)

darkdancer333

Yup, charcoal is basically a water clarifier in basic, your right on pro's and cons, and again its a personal feeling on that too, I don't use it based on my skimmer doing all my clarifying, but sure, if you feel ok with it, use it, If you wanted water space or free'ing up room, its there if you need it.

Yup, bingo on the bio-balls, there's a good place for them, a saying used by us "over here", file them under "B" -- bin ! LOL :)

And yes, filter floss is a bit of, or can be a mess too, agreed to get rid of that too, but all in the learning curve, we've all done and removed stuff :)

Its one thing I will say use, but in the right quantities, thats charcoal, it helps clear up any clarity left by the skimmer, again though clean it out and replace often, or as needed, its not a substance to just leave if you get me.

You may find though,if you go skimming, that it may be enough to then get rid of the charcoal too, as they both do a similar job to a basic extent, they remove organics and the "tea colour" in the water, of course charcoal removes other stuff, the basic need is for clarity of water.

I saw a vid on youtube when I was researching for my lights (hydra), a guy over in the US had the Vega and we were chatting, he used a good saying, "it works for me", and thats right, some things are so trial and error, some things aren't, there's so many variants to take into consideration with it all. But you've done the best thing, ditched the bio balls :)

great info thx

I'm off to get the small skimmer and put in slot 2

I purchased 2 more snails yesterday, they were active for a few hours but they have remained in same spot last 12 hours.

They are way more sensitive than the hermits lol

Those guys are almost non-stop

I know, my hermits im sure keep digging my frogspawn frag up, laying it down, little buggers :)

my nassarius snails just live under the sand, and they surface like submarines from time to time :)

darkdancer333

I know, my hermits im sure keep digging my frogspawn frag up, laying it down, little buggers :)

my nassarius snails just live under the sand, and they surface like submarines from time to time :)

just put the skimmer in the directions are vague.. I saw you tube video where you adjust the air valve so that the foam or bubbles dont overflow

Yup, take ya time again, I looked on the toob just now, seems ok for a little skimmer, a few vids showing some gunk coming out, great sign. A little note though, it may take a few days again to bed in, even my skimmer took a good 2 to let me finally adjust to where I wanted it.

I'm not to sure on your make of tank, but has it allowed you to fit the skimmer where it can't leak and go everywhere, for instance below the glass line in the back ? skimmers when new have all sorts of tendancies, especially if you have a good loading for it to skim already, just be careful ok :)

... And if it doesn't state it, i'd run it a little low on the air to start for the few days, in other words, keep the rise of the air bubbles down for a bit :)

darkdancer333

Yup, take ya time again, I looked on the toob just now, seems ok for a little skimmer, a few vids showing some gunk coming out, great sign. A little note though, it may take a few days again to bed in, even my skimmer took a good 2 to let me finally adjust to where I wanted it.

I'm not to sure on your make of tank, but has it allowed you to fit the skimmer where it can't leak and go everywhere, for instance below the glass line in the back ? skimmers when new have all sorts of tendancies, especially if you have a good loading for it to skim already, just be careful ok :)

... And if it doesn't state it, i'd run it a little low on the air to start for the few days, in other words, keep the rise of the air bubbles down for a bit :)

I have the 14 gal bio-cube. I moved skimmer to compartment 1 and I put the filter in compartment 2

Archived