inTank Media Baskets

aiptasia and ?

Idontknowz

wondering if this is aiptasia? it has 3 heads growning out of one stalk, also the little sesame seed looking things?

second tank is less blue you can see them better

post-78705-0-86705500-1397337803_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-37634900-1397337819_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-99325800-1397339921_thumb.jpg

I know the second picture isn't aiptasia, just looking fo an I.D, it's in 2 of my tanks now, the only thing I put in the second that was new were snails..

I just did an image search for hydroid, I think You're right

snail eggs, really? they're everywhere, even on other snails

Yep, my nas. Snails lay eggs on each other.

Yep, my nas. Snails lay eggs on each other.

Those aren't snail eggs - all the snails we keep and get in our tank as hitchhikers lay their eggs in "trails" that look like this:

IMG_3553.jpg

Astrea, Turbo, Cerith, Trochus, Nassarius, Nerite, Collonista, etc. all lay their eggs in trails - they aren't little individual eggs that look like "sesame seeds"...

* Note: not my picture, on the first page of google images. Just google "snail trail" or the eggs of ANY snail in your tank...

Those aren't snail eggs - all the snails we keep and get in our tank as hitchhikers lay their eggs in "trails" that look like this:

IMG_3553.jpg

Astrea, Turbo, Cerith, Trochus, Nassarius, Nerite, Collonista, etc. all lay their eggs in trails - they aren't little individual eggs that look like "sesame seeds"...

* Note: not my picture, on the first page of google images. Just google "snail trail" or the eggs of ANY snail in your tank...

Please do a search for "nerite snail eggs"

Jump to 3m10s

Please do a search for "nerite snail eggs"

Jump to 3m10s

Yeah, forgot nerites didn't have trails - but still they look way, way too big to be nerite eggs - they look to be the size of zoa heads in those pictures. I haven't had nerites since FW (don't know anyone in SW that uses them since there is the option of snails that don't climb out on your floor for the dog to eat :)), but I don't remember them being zoa-sized - I remember them being around the size of a grain of sand.

Yeah, forgot nerites didn't have trails - but still they look way, way too big to be nerite eggs - they look to be the size of zoa heads in those pictures. I haven't had nerites since FW (don't know anyone in SW that uses them since there is the option of snails that don't climb out on your floor for the dog to eat :)), but I don't remember them being zoa-sized - I remember them being around the size of a grain of sand.

I received SW nerites in my reef cleaners order and I'm pretty sure they are included in every prepackaged crew.

They defiantly don't look to be the size of a zoa polyp, mine are roughly 2.5-3mm across.

I received SW nerites in my reef cleaners order and I'm pretty sure they are included in every prepackaged crew.

They defiantly don't look to be the size of a zoa polyp, mine are roughly 2.5-3mm across.

Weird. I definitely forgot about them though and IME all the Nerites I ever had in FW had eggs that were in the 1mm range. Though, to be fair - Neritidae is a huge family with dozens of genuses and hundreds or thousands of species and we have no idea what we are putting in our tanks when it comes to generic "nerites." Though that is true of all snails, I can't think of any where that is more true than with nerites.

I stopped using them when someone at the last place I worked had a few in a betta bowl that laid eggs that hatched. They put hundreds of baby nerites in a separate small tank on the back counter where the coffee machine was. In just a few weeks, the internals of the coffee machine were clogged up with dead baby nerites. I never had one since then and that was about 6 years ago. I'll have to try and find a couple of pictures of that mess.

Archived