Coral Vue Hydros

How are you taking these pics!?!?

paradizecityz

This is correct. I just want to take pics and post it up where you can make out the stuff in my tank...definitely not trying to get all perfect pics...

BTW, @Lawnman...care to share how you get those pics with your iphone???

ditch the leds and get a MH :lol:

Get a white and/or gray card. It'll cost $5 for a cheap one or about $30 for a certified one. Normally, these are used to set the white balance on a DSLR, but since your phone can't do that, you take all of your pictures with the card in the frame. Then, you bring the images into photoshop and do a "post" white balance using the white/gray card as the source. You can get an idea of how it works here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/get-your-white-balance-right-in-seconds-using-grey-card/

I take some photos with my cell phone to post to facebook. The pics originally would come out blue, then I found the preset white balance options. I set the white balance to cloudy which removed a great deal of the blue from the pictures. It wasn't perfect, but I got great pics for a cell phone. The pics are fairly sharp, but to do this I pressed the phone against the glass to keep it steady and to get rid of the blurriness caused by diffraction. The only issue with this is you don't get the nice full on shots of the polyps. Just side shots unless one is facing the glass.

Edit: Forgot to say that I have the Galaxy Nexus phone. So the android camera app might have different options than the Iphone app.

Edit Edit: I also fiddle with the contrast and exposure settings a bit as well.

taking a good picture all starts with making the right sacrifice to the dark lord. are you sure you're drawing your pentagram correctly?

Lightroom

shoot in RAW

absolutely a great option...but only if youre taking pictures with something that can save as RAW. A DSLR is certainly the best way to go (well I would argue a film SLR is the way to go but Im old fashioned).

I agree

Get a white and/or gray card. It'll cost $5 for a cheap one or about $30 for a certified one. Normally, these are used to set the white balance on a DSLR, but since your phone can't do that, you take all of your pictures with the card in the frame. Then, you bring the images into photoshop and do a "post" white balance using the white/gray card as the source. You can get an idea of how it works here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/get-your-white-balance-right-in-seconds-using-grey-card/

In a pinch you can use Miletta coffee filters.

I myself have not be much any post-editing yet, although I plan on it.

One thing that confuses my a bit is shooting under actinc lighting, the actinic light makes my white sample look blue, I assume in lightroom I also want the sample to look the same kind of blue?

I'm thinking that if I made it look white, it would not look the same as real life.?

I guess I could just try it, I have the Sony Creative software.

I agree

In a pinch you can use Miletta coffee filters.

I myself have not be much any post-editing yet, although I plan on it.

One thing that confuses my a bit is shooting under actinc lighting, the actinic light makes my white sample look blue, I assume in lightroom I also want the sample to look the same kind of blue?

I'm thinking that if I made it look white, it would not look the same as real life.?

I guess I could just try it, I have the Sony Creative software.

Yes, your gray card should look blue in the photo. When you import it into your post processing tool and do your white balance, you will select your card with the "eyedropper" tool to "set the gray point" and it will adjust the entire photo's whitebalance so that the area you picked becomes neutral gray. If you shoot RAW, you won't have any loss doing this.

I don't know the Sony Creative software, but in Photoshop it is literally 3 clicks after you open the image.

I never heard of using the cofee filter before as a white card before!

Archived