Cultivated Reef

Tridacnid Clam ID help needed.

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Im posting this here in the clam discussion because I'm aware that what I have is in fact a tridacnid clam and not some sort of aptasia or weird stomatellia but the discussion focus here will be just what type of tridacnid clam this is. It was labeled as gold crocea but I was assured by a fellow clam enthusiast that this particular clam was infact a maxima. I believe the shell is infact scaled which sets this clam apart from the other smooth shelled clams like the other crocea that were infact golden brown, not blue like this one. I am in no way a clam expert I'm asking here for educated opinions.

20140411_152051_zpsfuivoemr.jpg

20140411_151951_zpslgsq38al.jpg

THe mantle looks like a maxima, but the shell is definitely a Crocea. If you told me this was a hybrid I would believe you, but clam ID is based on shell structure and that's definitely a Crocea shell.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks zeph I was waiting for you to see this and give me your opinion. Looks like the consensus on the other site as well is crocea with maxima characteristics. I'll just have to wait a couple years and find out if I end up with a dwarf maxima or giant crocea, lol. Either way, I'm excited about this find and definitely appears to be a unique clam, no doubt. It was the smallest of three at the lfs, but the most alluring to me, so I'm happy with the purchase.

• 1 year later...

ya the mantle seems like a maxima, but looking at my crocea after it being mentioned, the shell does look very similar, but id go with a maxima for the actual animal.

Archived