Top Shelf Aquatics

7.2g Cold Water Reef Build

Tamberav

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey all! I had a bit of a disaster 5 days ago, I was working a 16 hour shift and when I got home the power was tripped and fuse blown in the chiller (apt in old house so wiring sucks). The tank was pretty warm, I lost the gorg, the muscles, and aggregating nem. I thought I was going to lose the urchin as he was listless but came back around after a few days.

All the fish are alive, some of the nem's look mad still but are coming around. I had some brown slime show up in the back and cyano. I think because I probably lost bacteria and micro fauna. So I did a 100% W/C and remove a bunch of the sand bed.

I can see a little GHA sprouting now too.

Going to just do extra w/c's and try and feed the nem's extra.

All in all, most of it survived.

I'll be moving in June and hoping to move to an apt building that was build in 2015 which should make wiring situation better. Once I get settled and find a job there, I would like to get a custom tank made from Mike that can fit both my chillers and have more room for a bit larger pump in the back.

Sorry to hear about the swing in bad luck, some things are beyond a reefers hands... Have you seen my bender that now handles 1/2 inch acrylic? I will take care of you when it gets time to build your custom tank... I remember when I built the 17 gallon COLDWATER tank it was just incredible to look at, imagine it filled... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I will be introducing two new Cold Water Systems to support all the cold water enthusiast! One will be on the 7.2 that Tam has but will have the curved fronts from my new bender....

And the 2nd will the the 2 gallon vertical but in a bit larger size with curved fronts as well....

• 1 month later...

The nasty algae from the power outage is getting under control thanks to the urchin but he ate all my display algae too, I'm sure if I remove him it will grow back, always does. Sadly the Sculpin wasn't the same after and didn't end up making it. Had him almost 2 years? :( I moved the kelpfish in the back so I could release the catalina gobies, they have grown a lot but need some more size to them so the kelpfish won't eat them.

Anywho, few pics I took!!

27209111721_31bae9eeb8_c.jpg

26673186833_33e3e5ac63_c.jpg

27209115171_a6b2ee06d3_c.jpg

• Like 11

Sorry about the Sculpin, but the Catalina goby is amazing!

Thank you! There is actually two gobies but the female is camera shy. I was a little worried the tiny gobies might get ate by the nem's but so far so good, they seem pretty aware of the dangers.

• Like 1

I love those! I was thinking 26 gallon bowfront cold water, but to much cost to get it going

they would do just fine in something more inexpensive like a 2g :)

• 1 month later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The nasty algae from the power outage is getting under control thanks to the urchin but he ate all my display algae too, I'm sure if I remove him it will grow back, always does. Sadly the Sculpin wasn't the same after and didn't end up making it. Had him almost 2 years? :( I moved the kelpfish in the back so I could release the catalina gobies, they have grown a lot but need some more size to them so the kelpfish won't eat them.

Anywho, few pics I took!!

27209111721_31bae9eeb8_c.jpg

26673186833_33e3e5ac63_c.jpg

27209115171_a6b2ee06d3_c.jpg

Love this tank.....

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

It's amazing how these little guys like to pose for photos! Also how cold do you run the tank? I am in testing with another 7.2 system with two probes for a customers in Michigan! :)

I am working on his tank hitting 55F degrees of COOLNESS!

• Like 1

It's amazing how these little guys like to pose for photos! Also how cold do you run the tank? I am in testing with another 7.2 system with two probes for a customers in Michigan! :)

I am working on his tank hitting 55F degrees of COOLNESS!

I run it at 55. I got some more livestock arriving tomorrow :) The tank just hit its 2 year old birthday :o

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

That is amazing on the 2 year Mark in an really proud of your husbadry or should ibsay wifeasbry.

I also kept the Catalina goby at 55 f degrees in my original 2 gallon system 2 years ago was my anniversary of having shared that tank on Facebook.

Amazing you own such a rare system only seen in public aquariums.

I salute you Tam.....

quote name="Tamberav" post="5358896" timestamp="1467850322"]

I run it at 55. I got some more livestock arriving tomorrow :) The tank just hit its 2 year old birthday :o

• Like 1
squamptonbc

I've always wanted to do a small cold water tank. Biggest hurdle is finding stock for it. Aside from paying someone to jump into the ocean and collect that is...lol

Nice looking tank.

• Like 1

New livestock is settling in.

27636496163_6a723979c9_c.jpg

28252147675_548b30afbc_c.jpg

27636777944_04e6f92fc2_c.jpg

28252441045_06705bdd3f_c.jpg

I've always wanted to do a small cold water tank. Biggest hurdle is finding stock for it. Aside from paying someone to jump into the ocean and collect that is...lol

Nice looking tank.

I believe Matsu Pacific Coast Specimens on facebook ships stuff. I have been eyeing some jewel snails he had.

• Like 7

Well, my kelpfish is a girl.... she just gave all the nem's a free feeding with eggs :o If you look in the pictures you can see she is kinda.. bulgy looking and orange.. I had my thoughts, wasn't sure... but .... suddenly a ton of orange eggs which the MP10 blew all over.

I've got an international border between me and the US, which complicates things...lol

oops! Didn't think about that.

squamptonbc

I'll just say Canada is a frustrating place to be when one likes aquariums, at least on this side of the country...lol

Well, my kelpfish is a girl.... she just gave all the nem's a free feeding with eggs :o If you look in the pictures you can see she is kinda.. bulgy looking and orange.. I had my thoughts, wasn't sure... but .... suddenly a ton of orange eggs which the MP10 blew all over.

oops! Didn't think about that.

AquaticEngineer

I've got an international border between me and the US, which complicates things...lol

This might help for personal collection in BC :)

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

But you will want to read this about what is Always illegal....

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.html

Farther down on the page of the above link it states:

"It is illegal to: release live fish into any fish habitat except for fish that you immediately return to the water you caught it from"

So that likely eliminates the ability to catch your own fish for your tank, but it may not eliminate invertebrates or other things. I haven't looked into that part yet. You can also get in touch with commercial fisherman and local seafood sellers that sell live catch, or contact some of the people up there that do collection of species already for public aquariums and such.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I want to create a bookshelf tier add on for the 7.2 to allow you to place cold water corals and critters above the ground floor to take advantage of the limited space.

This piece would be supported by two black legs and two clear legs that would blend in the background and foreground, simple to place and simple to remove.

squamptonbc

I am working on seeing if it's feasible, at the moment, doesn't look too promising, the only info I can find is licensing for educational, scientific, and public aquariums and no mention of home aquariums, and the DFO hasn't been all that helpful...

I did find a place that catches for public aquaria and schools, but they just sent a quick email that said "we don't deal with the public, sorry."

I don't live right on the coast, so I don't have any fishing docks or marine fisherman nearby, it's all freshwater stuff where I am, but those rules are provincial, and totally different, so the research continues, but based on lack of information, I will guess its most likely not a feasible option here if trying to do it legally.

This might help for personal collection in BC :)

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

But you will want to read this about what is Always illegal....

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.html

Farther down on the page of the above link it states:

"It is illegal to: release live fish into any fish habitat except for fish that you immediately return to the water you caught it from"

So that likely eliminates the ability to catch your own fish for your tank, but it may not eliminate invertebrates or other things. I haven't looked into that part yet. You can also get in touch with commercial fisherman and local seafood sellers that sell live catch, or contact some of the people up there that do collection of species already for public aquariums and such.

AquaticEngineer

I am working on seeing if it's feasible, at the moment, doesn't look too promising, the only info I can find is licensing for educational, scientific, and public aquariums and no mention of home aquariums, and the DFO hasn't been all that helpful...

I did find a place that catches for public aquaria and schools, but they just sent a quick email that said "we don't deal with the public, sorry."

I don't live right on the coast, so I don't have any fishing docks or marine fisherman nearby, it's all freshwater stuff where I am, but those rules are provincial, and totally different, so the research continues, but based on lack of information, I will guess its most likely not a feasible option here if trying to do it legally.

Don't let them off the hook. If they cant provide you with the specific details showing you why you cannot collect something then they are not doing their job.

I had to push ODFW to have an in person meeting for them to show me why I couldn't collect and sell to the public after I had found which permits allowed me to do it. I continually got different answers from different people solely because nobody knew or cared to find out.

You may have to dig into their regulations and show them what allows you do something rather than them letting you know.

• 4 weeks later...

Few new photos :)

Cuz its pink!!

28993028485_c3bfc7ecda_c.jpg

If you look in the left corner you can see some tiny baby nem's. They showed up out of nowhere and were the size of a pinhead when I first saw them, they have doubled in size quickly, not sure who mama is.

28375997453_487df89eae_c.jpg

These two like to hang out and give me googly eyes for food. :wub:

28916802961_0bdea9901f_c.jpg

28960526526_fe25a85c5e_c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Tamberav changed the title to 7.2g Cold Water Reef Build