SaltCritters.com

will a t5 x 2 bulb fixture work? help

badwhiskey

Sugardaddy1979

That's what I used on my 20 tall. I grew mushrooms, zoas, button polyps, waving hand coral, frogspawn etc. Use good bulbs like ATI and you can keep softies and lower light LPS.

Nanofreak79

It really depends on the fixture quality, such as ballasts and reflectors. Good bulbs and a high quality fixture can work. I've found the Hagen Glo fixtures that are 2 bulbs are great little fixtures.

If it comes down to brand or perceived quality then I would say no, find a more suitable light source if you want a definite answer.

If it sounds like it's iffy whether it would work for you or not, the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Would this light work in a shallower tank? (I don't know, I assume it would, somebody must be using them for something.)

If so then get creative with your rock work.

If it comes down to money, just decided if you can afford to waste the smaller amount if the fixture does not work for you.

If you already own it, then try it.

There seems to be lots of threads on the web about this, just search for tank depths, as the gallon-age is not relevant. A 2' bulb should penetrate the same as a 4' bulb, you just need more rows front to back on larger tanks.

If the top surface area is not covered with bulbs, I prefer to locate them towards the front of the tank as it illuminates the inhabitants better for viewing. (I no longer use them though)

If it comes down to brand or perceived quality then I would say no, find a more suitable light source if you want a definite answer.

If it sounds like it's iffy whether it would work for you or not, the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Would this light work in a shallower tank? (I don't know, I assume it would, somebody must be using them for something.)

If so then get creative with your rock work.

If it comes down to money, just decided if you can afford to waste the smaller amount if the fixture does not work for you.

If you already own it, then try it.

There seems to be lots of threads on the web about this, just search for tank depths, as the gallon-age is not relevant. A 2' bulb should penetrate the same as a 4' bulb, you just need more rows front to back on larger tanks.

If the top surface area is not covered with bulbs, I prefer to locate them towards the front of the tank as it illuminates the inhabitants better for viewing. (I no longer use them though)

I have searched the web...I get a lot of metal halide fixture answers..I will just run with a 4 bulb fixture and be good to go

I have searched the web...I get a lot of metal halide fixture answers..I will just run with a 4 bulb fixture and be good to go

Of course, when you research the web, you will get any answer that you want to find.

Because you asked the question and you listed your corals, I will give you an answer with 45 years of experience. I also maintain well in excess of 10,000 gallons of different marine habitats at my facility.

More is not better. In fact, I find that when systems are pushed too hard, the opposite is the case. If your goal is to operate an easy to maintain system, then your two bulb T5 will do the job. If your goal is to produce abundant product to sell than increase the light.

Patrick Castille

Mgr, Aquaculture Ranch

PS. Even though you did not ask, I suggest good Irish whiskey.

Fish need it brand

You could have gotten the 4-bulb version for $35-$40 used or under $100 new! I got mine for $40 with bulbs for my QT tank. They aren't the best fixtures, but they will probably keep softies alive with good bulbs.

The 4 bulb kept all my acros alive (and some very well colored up) for 2 months in a 10g QT tank.

FWIW...

I ran 2 x 24 inch tube retro T-5's over my 10 until I upgraded to a 20. I had several colonies of "so called collector grade" Zoanthids and Palythoa's as well as GSP and a few other softies with no problem. Forgot what I paid for them and I did build my own canopy to hold the lights. Most of those softies are now in a 2.5 with 2 x 6 watts of T-5 over it and they are still doing fine!!! This fixture cost me all of about 55 fun dollars a few weeks ago at the LFS where it wasn't exactly budget priced by any means.

Subsea makes some great points, re-read that post a few times and give it some thought, they are wise words indeed.

I think the two bulb t5 should be fine. I have a 15 gallon nano. Same size as your 20 just shallower. I ran one 65 watt PC an it did fine. Two t5 bulb should be better than the PC I had. Should grow softies every where and LPS at least in the upper half no problem. Notice the Duncan in the left hand shadowy corner growing and healthy.

Here is my 15 with the single PC bulb.

post-70934-0-88556200-1397510129_thumb.jpg

Archived