SaltCritters.com

Pulsing xenia not pulsing

Horsey_Cat

I got some Pulsing xenia about a week and a half ago that died. I understand why now, so I bought another frag yesterday. The frag looks really nice and is fully opened... But it's not Pulsing.

Is there anything I can do to promote Pulsing?

In the past with mine it has been flow related. If the flow is too high the pulsing stops, under lower flow the pulsing occurs to promote nutrient capture.

Im sorry to be of no help, but this totally popped in my mind as i read your title:

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

Mitch Hedberg

Im sorry to be of no help, but this totally popped in my mind as i read your title:

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

Mitch Hedberg

So what you're saying is, that just because it's not Pulsing doesn't mean that's bad because it's still xenia right? Well if so, that's exactly the problem. I bought pulsing xenia for a reason.

mine relate to flow as well. How do they look when you turn off your pumps?

lol @ pumps. I don't have any pump ;)

Then ask person/lfs you bought it from

They probably dont know. Or they will probably BS

This might be a dumb question, but was it pulsing at the lfs? Could it be Anthelia?

I didn't see it pulsing... but it was inside a little thing with no flow so it would attach to a rock. So I didn't exactly see it very much. I just asked if they had any, they said yeah and bagged it up for me.

I have tried in two different tanks over the years with no luck. I've purchased frags that pulsed like crazy at the LFS only to stop within hours of being placed in my tanks. I have tried with higher and lower ALK and pH levels as well as flow and salinity….even nutrasea water vs salt mix and I've basically given up. Some people have it growing like weeds or can't get them to live at all but the remaining frag I have has stayed at the same size for 2 yrs now and occasionally one or two polyps will "pulse" (more like twitch) if you can call it that once or twice when the flow is completely off and then stay completely still. Frustrating.

I have tried in two different tanks over the years with no luck. I've purchased frags that pulsed like crazy at the LFS only to stop within hours of being placed in my tanks. I have tried with higher and lower ALK and pH levels as well as flow and salinity….even nutrasea water vs salt mix and I've basically given up. Some people have it growing like weeds or can't get them to live at all but the remaining frag I have has stayed at the same size for 2 yrs now and occasionally one or two polyps will "pulse" (more like twitch) if you can call it that once or twice when the flow is completely off and then stay completely still. Frustrating.

I just wish they were more understood.

So what you're saying is, that just because it's not Pulsing doesn't mean that's bad because it's still xenia right? Well if so, that's exactly the problem. I bought pulsing xenia for a reason.

lol @ pumps. I don't have any pump ;)

no not at all. I would want mine to pulse as well. its just that the Mitch Hedberg line immediately jumpped to mind as I read the title and it made me chuckle. I thought my remark may be taken as rude, but I assure you it was not a jab at your post. sorry for the misunderstanding.

no not at all. I would want mine to pulse as well. its just that the Mitch Hedberg line immediately jumpped to mind as I read the title and it made me chuckle. I thought my remark may be taken as rude, but I assure you it was not a jab at your post. sorry for the misunderstanding.

Not a problem, I was just trying to understand what you were talking about.

They probably dont know. Or they will probably BS

I didn't see it pulsing... but it was inside a little thing with no flow so it would attach to a rock. So I didn't exactly see it very much. I just asked if they had any, they said yeah and bagged it up for me.

Look up anthelia online and see if that looks like what you have. It is very similar but I think it rarely pulses if at all.

skimlessinseattle
I got some Pulsing xenia about a week and a half ago that died. I understand why now, so I bought another frag yesterday. The frag looks really nice and is fully opened... But it's not Pulsing.

Is there anything I can do to promote Pulsing?

Why did the first pulsing xenia die? If you do not have any pumps, how are you promoting gas exchange?

From my understanding and from what my marine biologist neighbour told me xenia typically pulse to ensure water flows through the polyps so that they may feed. Many highly pulsating varieties will vary the pulse rate according to flow (and lighting, too) which I witnessed with my xenia, the "silver pulsing" variety. Unfortunately, as a commenter above stated not too much is understood about this behaviour as a vigorously pulsing xenia could all of a sudden decide to no longer exhibit the same behaviour. Again, I witnessed the same happen with mine: in the beginning they pulsed like mad ... then they almost died ... came back from near death ... morphed in colour ... no longer pulsed at all ... and now they're beginning to pulse again ... all over a course of roughly 7 months. Go figure.

Xenia typically rebound fairly well when placed into a new tank however, like many other species of coral some may take a bit of time to acclimate 100% to the new environment. Seeing as you've had this frag just a day or two (pic please) my suggestion is to wait a few more days to see how the xenia responds. If they are still not pulsating and the LFS knows this is the reason you purchased the particular variety I would have a chat with them. Perhaps they could swap out the frag with a known pulsing specimen or provide a refund?

Just my two cents but ... like you I *really* enjoy seeing the pulsating action of the polyps. So relaxing :happy:

PS - +1 on verifying if you acquired xenia or actually anthelia. I've seen a few LFSs here label anthelia as xenia and vice versa.

How has this thread made it this far without a picture?

It's probably anthelia, especially if the polyps are extra long or short and either pink or blue.

• Like 1