Pod Your Reef

GSP not opening and very little growth from corals! HELP!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

Still slightly detectable but much less than the lowest level on API (I don't have another kit for nitrite since I usually don't test it!) of 0.25. Corals are still not showing any stress. Not sure what caused it, though I suspect the increased feeding stressed the tank. I'm going to continue feeding more, but I'm going to watch the levels closely until I think the tank is "used" to it.

Fishgirl2393

The candycane looks somewhat better but is still not opening a ton. Should I move it so there is not so much flow on it (you can see placement of my powerhead in the FTS)? And I don't think the very tiny amount of nitrite is the problem because it's barely detectable and nothing else looks upset.

the changes you've made will take 3 mos to show anything, if other variables arent introduced to set things back. I dont think current is the issue, your polyps lost mass, there's not a lot to inflate but it will rebound. any feeding candy cane is one thats putting on mass. dont forget if you feed mysis to blenderize them, its better than whole shrimp that are just spat out at 2 am and cast into the tank.

blended up mysis sticks to the mesenteries better just my crazy opinion. at least you are feeding something, so dont judge the tank for 3 mos now.

one variable I dont show addressed, that factors predictably into the next thread would be the water change schedule. weekly large water changes should be done without fail. its ok to not do that part, just read the peroxide thread if you choose to keep current wc schedule of every couple weeks :)

a time will come where you do not have to rely on water changes, tech can take their place, its just not that time now.

Fishgirl2393

Thanks! I'll leave it alone for now. I've got to go and get some more frozen food soon (possibly today) so I'll see what the LFS has. And I'm going to do a water change today hopefully.

Fishgirl2393

Haha! Mine is opening a bit more today than usually. I wonder if it's just growing... I've heard some people say it doesn't open when it is growing fast. My LFS has some in one particular tank (a display only tank) and it doesn't open much either. The GSP in other tanks does great and opens fully.

Fishgirl2393

What do you guys think about how they look? They look more "puffy" to me. I've been feeding them chopped mysis/brine shrimp every few days (it started out almost every day for about 4 days but I've gradually cut it back to about 2-3 times a week).

Fishgirl2393

Well, everything looks good. The nitrites are still showing to be there though. Not sure what's up with that since I don't think they should be there. Any ideas on that? I'm looking to be adding some more corals soon.

before we comment on nitrite here, consider some very lengthy threads about it from the past in a search. I mean -lengthy- and frustrating. this thread was kept on track by not discussing it actually

not saying that to be bad, but its true. nitrite was discussed in such detail in those threads its the one thing that will wreck this one.

Fishgirl2393

I agree. And since it doesn't seem to be affecting the corals/inverts/fish, I'm going to assume that it is not a problem. I just find it weird that it is showing up at all (and I've run a blank test with distilled water that came out as 0).

Fishgirl2393

So, now the GSP has developed small "holes" or patches of no mat in the middle of the mat. The edges of the colony are still open though. Is this something eating them or what??? I know I have asterina stars and I also have the blue-legged hermits. Would either of these eat the GSP and would that be likely what is causing this? I know a lot of people hate GSP but I really like it and would like them to do well. Everything else looks good and the candycane is recovering slowly. HELP!

Builder Anthony

Place a air bubbler so it rides over the gsp for like 5 days.t really makes a difference.otherwise something.else is wrong.algae growing on it would be my next guess

Fishgirl2393

Are they melting?

They have holes in the middle of the colony. Here's a pic (two really but combined together and with a yellow line circling around the holes)

brandon429

I see nothing wrong, this is the price to pay for previous starvation.

the gsp can't be used to discern anything about the tank, the hermits are a highly suspect source of coral picking as they try to eat epiphytic growths, scavenge etc.

the right track is replace the gsp with a new frag and forget about this one, it may live or die. keep the surface free of algae so crabs wont try.

a new GSP frag in a well fed tank has a better chance than one that is recovering from too thin of feedings and bright light (not much avail protein, but plenty high dissolved nutrients like n and p create imbalances. yours was not much protein, *and* not much dissolved nutrient they were starving slowly having little to no access to heterotrophic feeding, which all corals require)

my call is this is what would be expected for the tank as it turns around.

They have holes in the middle of the colony. Here's a pic (two really but combined together and with a yellow line circling around the holes)

attachicon.gifGSP.jpg

Perhaps is my eyes... But I can't see much. Why not a high res photo?

Fishgirl2393

I have an internet data cap where I live (very irritating) and didn't have access to better internet when I posted that. They haven't gotten worse so that's good news. The other corals look good. I got some new food today (Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Frozen) which the fish and corals seem to like. Checked pH today (haven't checked in a while) and it was 8.0 so I'm OK in that way.

Archived