Cultivated Reef

Green hairy mushrooms and... internal bits?

SeaRover

Any thoughts or expertise on white "stuff" on my green hairy mushrooms? I have been mucking about with coral placement, lost ricordeas, rescuing buried mushrooms from my pistol shrimp's constant digging, and thought I might have stressed the hairys and mushed them into the live rock or the glass, but upon closer look, I'm not sure if this is damage or...?

IMG_4125.jpg

And, just as an aside, my one-mouthed Ricordea that I purchased three days ago now has FIVE mouths (apologies for the poor photos)!

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

They do that when stressed or damaged. It's nothing to worry about though. When last I moved some rocks around one of mine was accidentally torn in two with a bunch of those ropes of innards trailing. Both pieces survived and have recovered. I even snipped off a little strand about a quarter inch in diameter with no portion of mouth. It drifted away and I forgot it. Now it's a lil mini rhodactis at the bottom of my aquarium. These guys are tough as nails.

Awesome - thank you! They seem to have pulled most of it back in today. At first glance, I thought something had laid eggs in my mushroom, as I would have expected that if it were going to spill its "guts", it would have been through the mouth. I really need to stop messing with the inhabitants...

Ramen noodlin'

It's normal for that to happen. It's just a stress response. I have a rhodactis that spills its guts if a hermit crab even thinks of walking by it. Super sensitive. Mushrooms can be ripped, snipped, chopped, hacked and they'll stay alive and produce more. Don't try that with your rics though.

Good to know re: the Rics - I had read a few different opinions on aiding the splitting process before I found a few posts saying they often have multiple mouths and it doesn't always lead to splitting. I'll wait until things are overrun before I start contemplating razor blades. My rhodactis seem to be the sensitive type as well - and the hermits do like to torment them, so I'm sure I'll be seeing ramen again soon! Thanks for the reply.

Archived