inTank Media Baskets

Heater for fluval spec v?

Fishstiks

Hey guys,

What heater are you guys using for your Fluval Spec reefs? I ordered an Eheim Jager 50w, but alas, it is much taller than I expected and will not work.

Suggestions for a heater that fits in the return pump chamber would be much appreciated. I plan to use the Intank media basket, so it must fit in the return pump chamber.

Thanks!

Any of the heaters that inTank sell on the SpecV page will fit. But it's going to be a tight fit. I wish I had spend the extra money and purchase the cobalt heater. The reason why is because in the small chamber I have the return pump 606, heater, the tubing for the return pump and a magnet to hold my wp 10 wave maker.

Cobalt heaters are dirt cheap on amazon. Around $38 for 25W-75W. All are 6.5 inches long, a half inch shorter than the Hydor Theo, and it won't break or fail. Plus, they have built in led displays for both the temperature it is set at, and also the temperature of the water. No need for a separate thermometer. I have a Spec V with a 606 in the chamber as well. No MP10 though!

I have a mini-jet 606 in my spec V and I just went with a cheap heater from Walmart. It's a Tetra 5-15 heater. I like it because it's super compact and fits in the same chamber as the mini-jet 606. It's a 50 watt heater with an automatic thermostat built in that keeps the water temp at 78.

The only drawback is there is no way to adjust the temp higher than 78, but for my application I'm okay with that.

Hydor Theo is what I'm using. I have big temp swings in the house and was having a bit of trouble keeping it in the back chamber. I plan on trying again now that I turned the pump 90° so the impeller faces the back rather than the side.

• 2 months later...

I tried a cobalt heater but it is to wide to fit in the chamber of the spec v. If you were looking to put it in the chamber.

Chad Walters

I have a mini-jet 606 in my spec V and I just went with a cheap heater from Walmart. It's a Tetra 5-15 heater. I like it because it's super compact and fits in the same chamber as the mini-jet 606. It's a 50 watt heater with an automatic thermostat built in that keeps the water temp at 78.

The only drawback is there is no way to adjust the temp higher than 78, but for my application I'm okay with that.

This is what I did. I also purchased a NeoTherm 50W and it does fit in the pump chamber, however it has to be put in sideways to fit and is a pain to get out so now it is used to heat water before a change. Back to the Tetra it is.

Archived