Pod Your Reef

Eunicid? all over my rock work! help....

budshark

Hi Guys, got 20lbs of live rock from tampa bay saltwater and think they are infested with Eunicid worms? Can you look at the pics below and let me know? thanks alot

post-81104-0-35874900-1397057590_thumb.jpg

post-81104-0-28673900-1397057611_thumb.jpg

post-81104-0-27217400-1397057622_thumb.jpg

ok ive confirmed through websites that this indeed is a eunicid worm. I have 7 pieces of live rock in my aquarium that has about 3-4 of these worms IN EACH ROCK. Ive also found them in the sand and know there are some in there too now. How do i tackle this problem?? i know its only a matter of time before my corals and fish are in danger. PLEASE HELP!

Eunicid worms are a tough problem. There is a great article about them (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php). They can get very large and will eat your CUC and SPS. Since you have such a small tank maybe the only solution is going to be clearing the sand, bioling the rocks, and restart. "We had to burn the village to ground in order to safe it". (Gen. Westmoreland).

ingtar_shinowa

You need to destroy those worms completely. I would replace the sand and let the rock completely dry out or 'cook' it in super high salinity water for a good while. I had ONE eunice grow up in my tank, it took out 11 clams, countless coral colonies, 2 fish, and alot of nems before it was executed. With that population you can be sure they are reproducing. I had zero luck with a DIY worm trap, but mine was 2-3 feet long by that time.

The article has interesting things to say about danger and removal. Recommend you read it word for word.

Do you care? Are they eating things? It is a HUGE genus and your may not be bad, but perhaps just creepy and unsightly.

id really like to just let it be and see what happens but if they will eventually eat my stuff then i might as well get them out. I watched at least 7 of them the other night and those were only the bigger and active ones. I cant imagine how many babies in the sand. ill be acid washing the rocks and completley replacing the sand when i move next year in may. I may just wait until then. Nothing has been compromised yet. The only loss ive had is two six line wrasses. One i found dead on the sand being eaten by hermits, so may have just died. but the other one vanished without a trace. Its only a 20g tank and i moved every piece of live rock looking for it and found no trace whatsoever after just seeing the fish 8 hours prior.

Archived