Top Shelf Aquatics

New set-up, need advice

AllisonJ

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new tank and have a couple of questions about seeding the dry rock I will be purchasing later this week. There are two options that I am considering:

1. Purchasing a couple of pounds of live sand - probably from Saltcritters.

2. Using a bit of the substrate from my current tank.

There are several problems with option 2. Everything in the tank came from Petco - including the lovely additions of bryopsis and flatworms. The substrate is some variety of dry Carib Sea stuff that is dusty no matter how much rinsing was initially done...weekly vacuuming has also not taken care of this problem. (There are no fish in this tank - just a couple of corals, snails, and a shrimp - also no feeding.) Also present are several vermetid snails. This tank does have a booming pod population, as well as lots of beneficial worms, snails, and other desirable goodies.

Question: Would it be a monstrous risk to seed the tank with my own stuff? I'll be treating the flatworms as soon as my order arrives (hopefully by Friday). I'm more worried about contaminating the new tank with bryopsis - I've managed to eradicate it a couple of times, but it seems to be a never-ending battle as it always comes back. The new tank will have a small (AC 70) refugium to help with nutrient export.

Thank you for your assistance!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived